Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What happened to macthemer

What happened to macthemer
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 10:14 AM

As the subject says.

I wanted to see what's up with this sight. If I recall some people here were saying they were leaving this forum for macthemer and of course the various flame ware between macthemer vs macthemes.net

I'm not trying to reignite any flame war just wondering what's up. When I use this link I get a funky web page which I believe is a default page for dreamweaver

Link

Mike

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 10:17 AM

Site, not sight. I think it had the right idea, just a little too late.

I'm very impressed on how smooth MacThemes runs in such a short time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 11:14 AM

Look here for MacThemer. Not too much going on there though�

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the updated link,
while this seems a little up todate the forums seem dead.

Too bad.

Mike

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:18 PM

I'd say they're gone, the last post was on the 12th of January.

That's ALMOST a month with no activity. Yeah I think they had the right idea, just the wrong approach and it is REALLY hard to start a forum with no reputation.

Mac Guru

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Yeah I think they had the right idea, just the wrong approach
What approach did they use?

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:37 PM

Well like I said, it's VERY hard to start a successful forum with almost NO noteriety. People tend to look at you like a wannabe BECAUSE you don't have a reputation. It's so much easier for an established entity to open a forum because they already have an established userbase from which to draw from.

Mac Guru

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 02:44 PM

MacThemer Forums, Jan 11 2005,02:00 AM:

Hello all your faithful MacThemerers . Here's a little memo from us, the staff. Something BIG is going to happen to MacThemer within the month of January. We'll mention no more, but just keep that in mind .

-MacThemer Staff [Pat, kmurphy, acronym16 and Elliot]

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:44 PM

Well like I said, it's VERY hard to start a successful forum with almost NO noteriety. People tend to look at you like a wannabe BECAUSE you don't have a reputation. It's so much easier for an established entity to open a forum because they already have an established userbase from which to draw from.

Mac Guru

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 03:51 PM

hmmm it's a secret

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 09:04 PM

just as it was starting to make some headway and people were registering, they lost their user database in a forums software switch requiring nearly everyone to re-register. bad timing at the birth of a forum. that was like one or two days before macthemes forums opened... and what an opening that was. would sure be hard to draw a crowd from macthemes... it's just gorgeous and all connected up with the GUI scene, etc.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

EllMUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 11:30 AM

Hey all.
Sorry about not keeping you informed regarding MacThemer...I have been really busy this last month with work etc and should have kept you updated but didn't have time. Anyway, now this thread has been created I can make an announcement.
MacThemer has, as I'm sure you'll have noticed, been pretty quiet recently. The MacThemes forums have been extremely successful and most people have forgotten about MacThemer. I was speaking to Pat (pyn) the other day about the direction we're going to take MT in now. I said how I wanted more original content to keep people coming back to the forums, more interaction between developers and gui fans and reviews, articles, interviews etc. Obviously MacThemes already provides this to a degree but I want MacThemer to be more indepth, to regularly update (more than just once a day), to provide weekly forum summaries for fans who have missed out. Therefore we agreed that MacThemer needed a site (in fact the link was found originally by maflynn...that is the link to the under construction site ;-)). Pat is setting up both the site and the site skin so that MacThemer finally has a look to it. The board will still be up, but will be temporarily closed until the site is ready.
Obviously, the switching of the board was untimely and cost us greatly but it really did need to be done and I'm glad I made the switch sooner rather than later. While PHPBB was fairly good board software it does have some major major limitations. Phil will no doubt discover these soon, especially when he wants to warn people as PHPBB requires mods to be installed for even the most simplest tasks. Yes, the MacThemes board is gorgeous, but I just find that PHPBB is a hindrance rather than a help.
Anyway, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up by announcing a date for the site opening. I'd say March at the latest, but again please don't get your hopes up, I'm gonna try not to publicise the new site as much until I am certain of an opening date. Hope this helps you all and we look forward to a bright future for MacThemer.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

It's been hard trying to work in between MacThemer, iDevelop, and the next version of patrickyan.net, but MacThemer will definitely come out before Spring Break ~ I have one week break next next week which I will devote to working on 'em

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:21 PM

So basically you're gonna duplicate MacThemes.net is what I got from that letter. Go for it I guess, only time will tell who will stick around.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
So basically you're gonna duplicate MacThemes.net is what I got from that letter. Go for it I guess, only time will tell who will stick around.
[war]It Begins![/war]

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
[war]It Begins![/war]
Hey Komisar were you one of the people who left macnn to go to macthemers?

I'm not flaming you just curious that's all. You seem to be posting more here even though you said you were bailing on macnn.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 07:30 PM

I actually meant Macthemes in that post... And i have probably posted 10 times since I left here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules