Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > best agp card and what bus speed in QS 2002?

best agp card and what bus speed in QS 2002?
guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 04:42 PM

i have an nvidia ti4600 in my q uicksilver 2002 and i'm guessing that it's on an agp 4x bus? what is the best graphics card i can get for it? it already has 128 mg of ram on it. i'm guessing a 9700 is the highest? and if the 9700 is the fastest do you really think it is worth to drop that much money on a card that wouldnt give me all that much more performance? i saw the new x800s and i started drooling. can i put in anything in that performance range? thanks

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 05:21 PM

you can put in a Radeon 9800 Pro. that's the top end, and as good as it gets for us Quicksilver owners.

it's not a bad card by any means though... hell, it even supports Core Image

P
Feb 8, 2005, 05:29 PM

It's an AGP 4x slot, yes. That slot should support anything up to the latest 8x AGP boards, of course only at AGP 4x speeds, so go ahead and knock yourself out.

vickster
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 05:40 PM

Isn't there a pin mod of some sort that needs to be done for the 9800 to work in a G4? Quite frankly, from everything I've read, anything above the Ti4600 is a waste of $$ for the G4 architecture.

Have I missed something?...

- vickster

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by vickster:
Isn't there a pin mod of some sort that needs to be done for the 9800 to work in a G4? Quite frankly, from everything I've read, anything above the Ti4600 is a waste of $$ for the G4 architecture.

Have I missed something?...

- vickster
You're confusing it with the tape mod used on Radeon 9600 OEMs that come in Power Mac G5's. The Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB is a retail card.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by P:
It's an AGP 4x slot, yes. That slot should support anything up to the latest 8x AGP boards, of course only at AGP 4x speeds, so go ahead and knock yourself out.
not true.

you will not be able to get an X800 XT in a Quicksilver no matter how hard you try. it just won't work.

the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition is the best it's going to be in a G4.

P
Feb 9, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by MORT A POTTY:
not true.

you will not be able to get an X800 XT in a Quicksilver no matter how hard you try. it just won't work.

the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition is the best it's going to be in a G4.
You're right, the X800 XT actually explicitly requires a G5. In general, however, AGP 4x slots support AGP 8x boards as well.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 9, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by P:
5. In general, however, AGP 4x slots support AGP 8x boards as well.
not on the Mac.

if it's 8x AGP, you can bet it won't work in a Quicksilver. You can atribute it to whatever you want (lack of cards, etc) but that's how it is. the G5s use 8x AGP Pro and that doesn't work with the AGP 4x PowerMac G4s. (or the 2x AGP PowerMacs either)

Forum Links
Forum Rules