Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook randomly turns off

MacBook randomly turns off
chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 08:10 PM

My MacBook has been randomly turning off for the past week or so. Like, just completely out of nowhere it will suddenly turn off. It has even happened within a few seconds of turning it back on (before OSX loads), so it does not appear to be a software issue. Sometimes it will stay on for hours and hours before it randomly turns off, and other times it seems to randomly turn off every 5-10 minutes.

Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I wanted to add, the battery has almost a full charge and I removed the battery and cleaned it off. It is happening just as frequently as before I cleaned it.

ibook_steve
Nov 17, 2006, 08:28 PM

This is a known problem that has been discussed many times, not to mention a firmware update by Apple. Do a search for RSS or random shutdown.

Steve

amru
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 08:51 PM

check this thread

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...dden-shutdown/

btw i have the same problem as you[2nd to last post on that thread], call aplcare and let them know

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 10:59 PM

Don't know if my shut-down problem is 'random' as it seems to shut off only when unplugged and when the battery charge reaches around 20%. Consistent. No warning of the battery being low or that the computer is about to go to sleep (which it doesn't do, it just shuts off).

Anyone having this problem?
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by d_oob View Post
Don't know if my shut-down problem is 'random' as it seems to shut off only when unplugged and when the battery charge reaches around 20%. Consistent. No warning of the battery being low or that the computer is about to go to sleep (which it doesn't do, it just shuts off).

Anyone having this problem?
Same problem at around 15-20% battery. i let the battery completely drain and then i plugged it in while turned off for a few hours but the shutdown happened again today with about 12% battery left. No warning or anything.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 04:09 PM

I've been having that problem lately when it says I have about 20 minutes left. I didn't have it originally, so I'm thinking it's an issue either relating to problems with the battery (according to CoconutBattery, mine is already down to 75% capacity, which I'm not pleased about, since it's only been 5 months) or an update of some sort. I reset the PMU just now to see if that helps, so I'll keep you all posted on that. If it doesn't, I'm bringing it in.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 06:04 PM

Google is your friend, folks.

chrikenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 06:39 PM

Sorry for posting without searching. Without reading all of that thread, can someone tell me if the firmware update legitimately works? I downloaded and installed it and so far so good... but my computer has only been on for 5 minutes...

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrikenn View Post
Sorry for posting without searching. Without reading all of that thread, can someone tell me if the firmware update legitimately works? I downloaded and installed it and so far so good... but my computer has only been on for 5 minutes...
There are mixed reports of whether or not it works in other threads. I haven't had mine shut off, so I really don't know if it did anything. Some o use noticed louder speakers, and I am still not completely convinced that it isn't my imagination, but yah.

masugu
Senior User
Nov 18, 2006, 08:31 PM

This has been discussed elsewhere as well...but I think the new Firmware upgrade has sent my Rev 1 MacBook temps higher >>> low 60s for low levels of activity.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 09:53 PM

Nah, I don't think the Firmware update did squat. I still get the shut-off at 20% battery. The thing is is that this only happens when unplugged. When I'm plugged in to AC and running FCP and PS and DVDSP and Compressor, all open all at once with the macbook's fan at full blast and bottom of the case turning to molten lava it still doesn't crash. SO, I don't think it has anything to do with heat sensors malfunctioning or any of those theories. I could even be running on battery and just typing a simple email, and once it hits around 20% batter power, POOF!, it's off. My serial number is not in the range (4H617-4H635) but is after: 4H638******. This seems to be a different type of problem altogether possibly having to do with OS or the battery. At least with this problem it is predictable and I can (if I had the time) go to a Genius and recreate the problem.

Boooo! Apple.
( Last edited by d_oob; Nov 18, 2006 at 09:56 PM. Reason: mis-spells. hahah)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 11:46 AM

Nah, I don't think the Firmware update did squat. I still get the shut-off at 20% battery. The thing is is that this only happens when unplugged. When I'm plugged in to AC and running FCP and PS and DVDSP and Compressor, all open all at once with the macbook's fan at full blast and bottom of the case turning to molten lava it still doesn't crash. SO, I don't think it has anything to do with heat sensors malfunctioning or any of those theories. I could even be running on battery and just typing a simple email, and once it hits around 20% batter power, POOF!, it's off. My serial number is not in the range (4H617-4H635) but is after: 4H638******. This seems to be a different type of problem altogether possibly having to do with OS or the battery. At least with this problem it is predictable and I can (if I had the time) go to a Genius and recreate the problem.

Boooo! Apple.
Have you ever tried calibrating your battery gauge, the process explained in your user manual? That still seems odd.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 01:47 PM

This has been happening to me if anything more with the firmware update, in that now it happens everytime my MB's battery gets low and it used to not be a problem at all. My battery has been calibrated; in fact, now it's impossible to re-calibrate it since you can't run it down until the computer goes to sleep because it just shuts off instead.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jesrae View Post
This has been happening to me if anything more with the firmware update, in that now it happens everytime my MB's battery gets low and it used to not be a problem at all. My battery has been calibrated; in fact, now it's impossible to re-calibrate it since you can't run it down until the computer goes to sleep because it just shuts off instead.
Exactly. How do I calibrate the battery? I tried when I first got the macbook and noticed the problem from day one. I don't see how calibrating could've helped this problem anyway because of just the way it just shuts off. I get NO warning that the laptop will be going to sleep because of low-battery which I know should happen because I still use my Pismo (which IMO is THE BEST latptop Apple EVER made) I've had the Macbook for 2 months and it works well considering I use software that isn't supported (final cut pro) and the fan comes on and is blazing hot but bests my dual 867 MDD G4 tower in encoding speed.

So what was the point of that firmware update?
( Last edited by d_oob; Nov 19, 2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: misspelling)

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 09:46 PM

Ok this is interesting. My laptop is now at 17% battery capacity and it is still on. It hasn't turned off suddenly. Yay!? Well I'm posting this is as a record and will keep us posted.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 09:56 PM

It's at 10% and still on. Hmmm... will I make it? Can I FINALLY calibrate my battery, 2 months later, without it shutting off before completely being drained of power??

We'll see.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 10:04 PM

Well, as soon as I submitted that last post my macbook turned off. The battery power was at 10%. It just off. No warning. Just black. Off. NOT ON. Off. The laptop was NOT unusually hot nor were the fans on full-blast or on at all. No other processes were happening. I was just typing the post in Firefox, hit submit, scrolled down to see the post and then OFF!

Boo. I say. Boo Apple.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 11:17 PM

Resetting the PMU did nothing, so tomorrow I'm bringing it and hoping they give me a new battery (searching around online shows this helped some people, if they then reset the PMU and everything after installing it, but not everyone). Mine usually goes down below 20%, more like 10-15% before shutting off, but it never goes to sleep or gives me a warning.

amru
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 01:09 AM

d_oob, i suggest u call aplcare and see what they can do for you. might be more helpful that to post multiple times here. [not that anything is wrong w/ that.. its just that you'll prob get more help from them] well, in my case anyway.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks amru. Well I figure I'm just adding for the record, what my experience is with the mysterious shut down. I'm not really expecting that much in a way of a cure. I've read too many articles on the RSS problem. My postings are more for the record than for the help. If anyone has suggestions, then that's fine and thank you - but it seems there is no cure for all the MAcBook people with sudden shut downs. The PMU, Firmware updates, Reinstall of this and that - that just sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus to me. It's dizzying and can almost equate to the Genius Bar giving us the run-around.

Boo Apple.

amru
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 03:13 AM

ya definately. my moms MB has been looked at 3 times. once mailed in, x2 applestore genius bar and getting mailed in again soon.[afterthnksgiving]

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 04:15 AM

I was able to get the battery capacity down to 8% at which time the Low Battery Warning actually came on. This is first time I've seen it appear on my MacBook since I got it 2 months ago. Shortly after clicking OK (roughly about 5 seconds later) it did a Sudden Shut Off. Black. Off. Nadda. NahTing. No More. Turn off. Brok. Pau. Caput. Biff Bang. It's on there you name it. "That's the way I skate, that's the way I skate." hahhah... no this ain't no joke. But this macbook sure is.

Again. Boo Apple.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 07:58 PM

Took mine in today, and when they saw that it wasn't the firmware and I done everything I could do to try to fix it, they replaced my battery (which is sweet anyway, since I've admittedly been using mine pretty hard). We'll see if that does it; they said if it doesn't, it will have to be sent in if I want it fixed, but I'll probably have to wait until the end of the semester in that case.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jesrae View Post
Took mine in today, and when they saw that it wasn't the firmware and I done everything I could do to try to fix it, they replaced my battery (which is sweet anyway, since I've admittedly been using mine pretty hard). We'll see if that does it; they said if it doesn't, it will have to be sent in if I want it fixed, but I'll probably have to wait until the end of the semester in that case.
Jesrae, How long have you had your MB? Wow so they just right out gave you a new battery. And when you say 'pretty hard' are you saying like having lots of apps open, encoding music, doing maybe some video, iChat, watching video, email... something like that? Because I think I kill mine almost everyday running FCP to the max with 10 plus layers of video and 8 tracks of audio and then along side that I run Soundtrack Pro with almost up to 10 tracks. And if STP isn't open I have Photoshop and/or DVD Studio Pro. I'm scared to start up Motion as it a hole might get burnt through the case! I love this MacBook because it can pull of this much power and I'm way more productive than on my dual 867 MDD G4. But the bad obviously is the heat. The fan is on most of the time. I sometime unwind and unplug all the external drives, the studio display, sound card and actually sit in a nice fat cushy chair untethered. And it is then, when the MacBook is in its purist, simplest form, that troubles arise. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The word 'laptop' should have a completely different meaning at this point because you can't use it on your lap because it is way way too hot and it ain't portable because you can't go a few hours or seconds (in some folks case) without it turning off for no reason.

Laptop - Apple changes things for the worse in this case. Booo Apple.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 08:43 PM

Jesrae, How long have you had your MB? Wow so they just right out gave you a new battery. And when you say 'pretty hard' are you saying like having lots of apps open, encoding music, doing maybe some video, iChat, watching video, email... something like that? Because I think I kill mine almost everyday running FCP to the max with 10 plus layers of video and 8 tracks of audio and then along side that I run Soundtrack Pro with almost up to 10 tracks. And if STP isn't open I have Photoshop and/or DVD Studio Pro. I'm scared to start up Motion as it a hole might get burnt through the case! I love this MacBook because it can pull of this much power and I'm way more productive than on my dual 867 MDD G4. But the bad obviously is the heat. The fan is on most of the time. I sometime unwind and unplug all the external drives, the studio display, sound card and actually sit in a nice fat cushy chair untethered. And it is then, when the MacBook is in its purist, simplest form, that troubles arise. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The word 'laptop' should have a completely different meaning at this point because you can't use it on your lap because it is way way too hot and it ain't portable because you can't go a few hours or seconds (in some folks case) without it turning off for no reason.

Laptop - Apple changes things for the worse in this case. Booo Apple.
They gave me a new battery, but before you go in make sure the firmware is up to date and you've reset your PMU, and you're still having the problem, because they'll want to make sure those don't fix it first.

When I say I used my battery hard, I mean that I had like 126 cycles on mine in 5 months. Which I think just means I work unplugged a lot, and wear down the battery. I don't tend to have many apps open or even have the brightness turned up, so I actually get a lot of time per cycle (though then I started losing battery capacity, from having run so many cycles), so I'm not entirely sure even why it was that high, but I guess most people have their plugged in more or else use it less.

Mine lasts hours without being plugged in, and I don't actually have a problem using it on my lap as long as it's not on bare skin, though I tend to keep most of the bottom surface sort of between my legs. I prefer this issue to the hot palmrest on my 12" PB. *shrug* I've been really happy with my MB other than this one battery-related issue, which has caused me to lose some data that wasn't saved when it shut off without warning. Luckily not too much thanks to autosave.

Forum Links
Forum Rules