Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Question

Macbook Question
pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2006, 02:10 PM

I am going to buy a macbook.
I do not have the money to get a macbook Pro but I want a white 2.0ghz macbook in white. I will probably need to run Final Cut Studio and I understand it is not possible to run this application on a macbok to its full potential. I would like to know therefore if there is a way to incease the graphics memory that is shared by the ram?

Say If I had 2gb of RAM is there a way of Splitting it so that I can have 1.75gb of RAM and have 256mb dedicated to graphics?
Also
Does the 2.0 Macbook run photoshop CS2?
( Last edited by pra9ab0y; Nov 26, 2006 at 03:02 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 05:18 PM

The shared graphics memory is automatically increased (up to ~200MB) by the OS as necessary. FCP and DVDSP should be fine (aside from the limited screen space), but Motion will not run.
Photoshop CS2 runs on the Macbook via Rosetta emulation.

edit: Whatdya know, he's right, Motion won't run at all.
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 26, 2006 at 06:11 PM. )

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 05:46 PM

FCP and DVSP work well on a MacBook as well as Soundtrack Pro. The screen size is small but great size for on-the-go. Also Remember that if you ge tthe optional Mini-DVI to DVI or VGA adapter then you can run a 2nd monitor. Not just Mirror like old iBooks but actually Span the desktop giving you lots of room. I run a 17inch Apple Studio Display and the graphics done slow down or drag or ghost or anything like that. It's plenty fast. Mduell is right about Motion not working to its fullest:

AGP Quartz Extreme or PCI Express graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA)

I'm finding all the other parts of the Suite work well on the MacBook.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

pra9ab0y  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks look like i will be getting myslef a macbook tomorrow then!

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 06:54 PM

I've never had CS2 successfully run on an Intel Mac. So far only CS will run for me. But I could be doing something wrong ...
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 06:39 PM

It runs fine for me under roseta though as i have said in other posts i am only producing graphics which i guess are classified as simple.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
I've never had CS2 successfully run on an Intel Mac. So far only CS will run for me. But I could be doing something wrong ...
i've seen CS2 running ok on Intel Macs with 2GB of RAM, 4GB+ is better. not great prefect but useable until the native version turns up.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
i've seen CS2 running ok on Intel Macs with 2GB of RAM, 4GB+ is better. not great prefect but useable until the native version turns up.
I have 2 gigs on all of my machines. It's not that it's slow, it's that it refuses to open and just gives me errors.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 06:40 AM

i had a client that had a similar problem after running an update on CS2, i got him to change the permissions on this folder

YourHD/Library/Application Support/Adobe

give permissions to everyone and unlock everything.

I used BatChmod 1.37 - VersionTracker to do this, just tick all the boxes.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 03:25 PM

CS2 has issues running in 10.4.8 There is an article on it on the Adobe forums. It's an issue with Pathfinder. I have a few Intel Mac mini's running CS2 and they run fine. There is also an issue where if they have Illustrator open they can't have Photoshop open at the same time or it crashes Illustrator and vice versa.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules