Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I Got a New iMac!

I Got a New iMac! (Page 3)
molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Natz View Post
If that's true for every type of glass it's a good job we don't make windows out of glass isn't it.....
You guys take things to literal. The glass on a window, or a window pane is heat tempered to with stand extreme temps. The iMac glass still unkown I doubt is tested for -10*F to 120* F. A glass in a window pane is made to with stand these rough elements mind you the rain, hail, snow or the extreme changes in weather from 80*F to 100*F seen in Florida or the lower states in the US after a rain storm.

I simply stating dont place the iMac to close to a radiator or infront of a window. I believe this is stated in the owners manual under "Care".

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 04:39 PM

I doubt a last-generation iMac would fare well in extreme heat either. Haven't tested, but computers tend to like to be kept cool.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 01:36 AM

And it's pretty hot here in southern California. My iMac is near a window, and it's been on nonstop for a week. So far, the glass remains in tact, and I'm willing the wager that will be case for as long as I don't bash my head into it or throw rocks at it.

Now of course the aluminum might melt, the plastic on my keyboard might fuse and my wood desk might catch fire, but I'm pretty confident in the glass.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
Ehh not a fan of the keyboard!

The screen, ehh hate glossy and the screen is glass....WILL SHATTER ouch...
Oh get real dude, it only takes a few ounces of pressure applied to an LCD screen (say trying to rub out a bad pixel) and the LCD gets cracked. It would require quite a bit of abuse to damage the glass on the iMac and before you even say well if it falls..... well the whole computer gets damaged anyway.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 06:54 AM

You guys take things to literal. The glass on a window, or a window pane is heat tempered to with stand extreme temps. The iMac glass still unkown I doubt is tested for -10*F to 120* F. A glass in a window pane is made to with stand these rough elements mind you the rain, hail, snow or the extreme changes in weather from 80*F to 100*F seen in Florida or the lower states in the US after a rain storm.

I simply stating dont place the iMac to close to a radiator or infront of a window. I believe this is stated in the owners manual under "Care".
I'm sorry, but the suspicion arises that you have no clue of what you're talking about.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 02:17 PM

All I am going to say again is its glass and Apple is very careful about telling you this in the book when you purchase it. Its not the same as the previous iMac.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 03:12 PM

I have no idea what you thought the former iMac's screen was made of, but since you appear to be in the habit of throwing things at the screen: the new one is no more sensitive than the old one was in that regard.

I have NO IDEA what you're talking about re: sunlight..

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I have no idea what you thought the former iMac's screen was made of, but since you appear to be in the habit of throwing things at the screen: the new one is no more sensitive than the old one was in that regard.

I have NO IDEA what you're talking about re: sunlight..

Ok lets revist the old screen.

The white bezel surround the LCD pannel, there was no glass in front of the LCD pannel.

The new iMac

The new iMac has a piece of glass in front of the LCD screen.

Big diffrernce. Point is that glass you need to be really careful with. If you have the new iMac read the book it comes with under "Care" as I previously stated. Apple even changed there handling guide on the website I think to reflect the new glass.

UPDATE:

Just as I thought

Some issues are starting to appear already
( Last edited by molarszbt18; Aug 25, 2007 at 05:24 PM. )

jgcan
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 05:38 PM

From what I have read the condensation behind the glass can appear the first time it's turned on and then disappears after a few minutes/hours to never come back.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 05:42 PM

There is glass in EVERY SINGLE LCD panel Apple has ever used in ANY machine.

The glass in the older LCD panels (and in the newer ones) is much, MUCH thinner than the sheet of glass used to protect the new iMacs' screens.

The newer screens are thus, if anything, LESS prone to breakage.

And you mentioned something about glass breaking in sunlight, which is what I was referring to above - I quite simply have NO ****ING CLUE what you might mean by that.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 05:44 PM

Just as I thought

Some issues are starting to appear already
That photograph there has absolutely NOTHING to do with the bizarre points you've been bringing up so far.

There is no damage in that photo, nor is there an issue involving sunlight, nor even involving the screen - that's simply condensation behind glass.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 06:06 PM

There is glass in EVERY SINGLE LCD panel Apple has ever used in ANY machine.

The glass in the older LCD panels (and in the newer ones) is much, MUCH thinner than the sheet of glass used to protect the new iMacs' screens.

The newer screens are thus, if anything, LESS prone to breakage.

And you mentioned something about glass breaking in sunlight, which is what I was referring to above - I quite simply have NO ****ING CLUE what you might mean by that.
We all know an LCD is made up up glass layers, point being the glass pannel will be an issue or could be if not treated with care.

Apple has already stated any cracking of the glass is not covered under warranty

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 06:07 PM

All I am going to say again is its glass and Apple is very careful about telling you this in the book when you purchase it. Its not the same as the previous iMac.
The glass on the new iMac is the same as the glass on the iPhone. Apple knows that the chances of someone dropping their iPhone are of high probability so they wouldn't use glass that shatters easily. I have see videos on YouTube that show the iPhone inside of a blender and the glass was untouched.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 06:07 PM

That photograph there has absolutely NOTHING to do with the bizarre points you've been bringing up so far.

There is no damage in that photo, nor is there an issue involving sunlight, nor even involving the screen - that's simply condensation behind glass.
Your correct but this is just the beginging. It wont take long for something like this to become more apparent with the cold weather approaching.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 07:17 PM

Your correct but this is just the beginging. It wont take long for something like this to become more apparent with the cold weather approaching.
How do you know that?

hmmm, I heat the house in winter ... don't you? If not, you probably don't live in an area where it would be a problem anyway.

Am I feeding someone here ...?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 08:34 PM

Damn Molarszbt you are just looking for problems. Why? There is absolutely nothing physical (in the world of electronics especially) that works perfectly as it's pictured. This is only one pic of the screen having some sort of issue whatever it is but no one on the web has ever mentioned anything about the glass besides it being glossy.
If you don't like the iMac you don't have to buy but you are trying to scare potential buyers of it.
I just ordered the 24" myself and while your comments don't affect my buying decision you sound like you have a beef with Apple and want to scare off buyers to reduce their revenue. Just my observation but what gives?

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 10:15 PM

if anything, the cold weather would make the condensation go away. Stop trying to find issues that don't exist with your new iMac. If you don't like it, return it. But stop lounging around here picking nits.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 01:18 AM

We all know an LCD is made up up glass layers, point being the glass pannel will be an issue or could be if not treated with care.

Apple has already stated any cracking of the glass is not covered under warranty
Well, that's mainly because IT'S NOT GOING TO BREAK UNLESS YOU STRIKE IT HARD OR THROW THE DAMN THING OFF THE TABLE!

Begone, you moron. I've had enough of you.

*plunk*

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 02:38 AM

Well, that's mainly because IT'S NOT GOING TO BREAK UNLESS YOU STRIKE IT HARD OR THROW THE DAMN THING OFF THE TABLE!

Begone, you moron. I've had enough of you.

*plunk*
I love people like you. You need understand that a person like myself is 100% for Apple, but at the same time this is a new product or one of the 1st to have a piece of glass in front on an LCD panel like that of its nature. We all know new things have kinks but at the same time Apple will fix them for the 2nd revision. I am playing devils advocate here. If you dont like it then there is the door

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Damn Molarszbt you are just looking for problems. Why? There is absolutely nothing physical (in the world of electronics especially) that works perfectly as it's pictured. This is only one pic of the screen having some sort of issue whatever it is but no one on the web has ever mentioned anything about the glass besides it being glossy.
If you don't like the iMac you don't have to buy but you are trying to scare potential buyers of it.
I just ordered the 24" myself and while your comments don't affect my buying decision you sound like you have a beef with Apple and want to scare off buyers to reduce their revenue. Just my observation but what gives?
Am I tring to scare people off hell no. I am making a FACT that those screens yes glossy are in fact GLASS not plexi glass but glass and its not tempered glass either. I am not sure how much force or if of anything it would take to affect it. IMO this is a forum you can state what you feel is right and there is nothing about what I am saying is wrong. Apple has said this is glass and it is not covered under warranty if damaged, I am just repeating what they have said.

IMO I love the iMac and its a great investment, its people on here (not you) that see negative feedback on a product by someone and lash out at them for being stupid or whatever. But to each his own and I hope you love the iMac!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 03:06 AM

You completely fail to respond to ANY point anybody else makes.

There is glass in EVERY LCD panel, and it is MUCH thinner and more fragile than the glass sheet in front of the new iMac monitors.

Acknowledged?

Nope.

So, you're just trolling. Go away.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 05:08 AM

Am I tring to scare people off hell no. I am making a FACT that those screens yes glossy are in fact GLASS not plexi glass but glass and its not tempered glass either. I am not sure how much force or if of anything it would take to affect it.
IMO this is a forum you can state what you feel is right and there is nothing about what I am saying is wrong. Apple has said this is glass and it is not covered under warranty if damaged, I am just repeating what they have said.
I understand some of your point but what I am trying to understand is what would happen that would cause the glass to break? What are you talking about in terms of the glass breaking? Do you mean in terms of tipping the iMac over? That's highly unlikely. As far as Apple not covering the glass breaking the same holds true in terms of the LCD. If the LCD is cracked by slight force it's not covered either.
It's highly unlikely the glass is going to break unless it's intentionally done by the user with extreme force. I wouldn't even place a concern about it. I hope you end up enjoying yours in the long run.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 06:29 AM

In addition, ANYTHING that would be able to crack the glass panel on the new iMacs most CERTAINLY would destroy the LCD panel on any other machine, as well.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2007, 11:27 AM

I'm curious: Do you get condensation in your crystal ball?'

The objections you're raising here seem like the definition of FUD.
Chuck
___

Sörnäinen
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by thepfef View Post
What? No Apple key?! End of an era...
Wow, it´s interesting to read this thread. Here in Germany there are big discussions about the missing apple key on the keyboard - and even louder discussions about the glossy screen, many professionals claim it´s impossible to work with it and they will NEVER buy an iMac again. :-O

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sörnäinen View Post
Wow, it´s interesting to read this thread. Here in Germany there are big discussions about the missing apple key on the keyboard - and even louder discussions about the glossy screen, many professionals claim it´s impossible to work with it and they will NEVER buy an iMac again. :-O
a) As far as I remember, the German keyboard still has the Apple on those keys.

b) the glossy screen: Correct. Nobody who's in the business of colour accuracy will EVER use a glossy screen as his main monitor. It's simply NOT POSSIBLE. There's no real "discussion" about this, either - except maybe in the idiot-pool that is the heise forums.

The iMac is a consumer/"entertainment" machine. Glossy screens are more fun for media consumption.

The new iMacs still make absolutely KILLER audio workstations, though - especially through the addition of FW800.

P
Aug 26, 2007, 01:11 PM

There sure is traffic in this thread...

There is indeed glass in all LCD panels - that's what makes them work! The surface is usually a thin plastic layer, slightly flexible. Apple has decided to put a huge sheet of glass in front of the display this time. This makes the display stronger and less prone to breaking - it is quite easy to break a regular LCD by shoving something hard at it.

The condensation inside the glass is easily explained: When breaking in, a number of things inside the machine give off vapors. This can come from glue setting, the PCB production process, etc. Apparently the area behind the glass is fairly well sealed, so it is hard for the vapors to get out. When the vapors can't get out, the pressure increases and the vapor condenses as a liquid. This overpressure will eventually force all the vapors out - unless the iMac is really pressure proof, and I doubt it - thereby reducing the pressure and once again making the liquid drops vaporize. The equilibirum is the atmosphere behind the iMac being at 1 atm and the same composition as the atmospere outside. This is not unique to the iMac - many products can have glass fog up slightly from this process.

Once the liquid has escaped, there is no way it can get back in unless you pour something on the iMac or put it in a room with a similar overpressure (and some liquids in the air) that let the vapor escape in the first place. They will not come back in normal usage unless you open the machine and let wet air in behind the glass.

The phenomenon you mention, when glass fogs up, occurs when there is humid air on the inside of a sheet of glass and the temperature on the outside is cool enough that the glass is cooled down to the point of that water condensing on the glass. That won't happen here, because there is no reason to believe that the air inside the iMac is humid. I also doubt that the temperature gradient across the glass will be big enough to let something like that happen with room temperature on the outside.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 01:54 PM

The iMac is most definitely NOT pressure-sealed - there's three fans in there.

P
Aug 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

No, but the space between the glass and the display is not vented.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 10:46 PM

There is glass in EVERY LCD panel, and it is MUCH thinner and more fragile than the glass sheet in front of the new iMac monitors.

Acknowledged?

Nope.

I troll yea ok... do you ever leave the forum. Or wait maybe you cant read...go up near the top of this page

"We all know an LCD is made up up glass layers," Thats right from my mouth

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 10:50 PM

Then why won't you acknowledge that the new screen is less breakable than the old LCDs?

Just drop it.

Or alternatively, I'll trade you my iMac C2d for you new one.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
I understand some of your point but what I am trying to understand is what would happen that would cause the glass to break? What are you talking about in terms of the glass breaking? Do you mean in terms of tipping the iMac over? That's highly unlikely. As far as Apple not covering the glass breaking the same holds true in terms of the LCD. If the LCD is cracked by slight force it's not covered either.
It's highly unlikely the glass is going to break unless it's intentionally done by the user with extreme force. I wouldn't even place a concern about it. I hope you end up enjoying yours in the long run.
No one is sure what or how well that glass will hold up. I am just saying that there is no point to it. I have seen people already remove it and have nothing or I have seen talks of side companies making a non glassy screen or a privacy screen for the new iMac. Neither are a bad idea. The only reason there is such bickering going on about it is because I said something bad or something about Apple god forbid. If you ever visit forums this is nothing new.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2007, 10:53 PM

I agree with this bit.

So how do owners like the new keyboard? I think it rocks. This is the first time ever that I won't be shopping for a replacement board, and I've owned Macs since '92. It's just the kind of board I like, and not an ounce of glass to be found on it.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Then why won't you acknowledge that the new screen is less breakable than the old LCDs?

Just drop it.

Or alternatively, I'll trade you my iMac C2d for you new one.
Apparently all of you are confused.

I NEVER, repeat never stated the original LCD pannels were stronger to what the new iMac is.

This is why I dont post here and people should see that now.

A) I never stated something (PEOPLE PUT WORDS IN YOUR MOUTH
B) people do not read (stated I didnt say LCD's were made of glass when I did)
C) When being a devils advocate you get on because the all mighty apple people on here need to

Where are the mods on this forum?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2007, 11:45 PM

Good question.

Look, regardless of anything else, if you feel people aren't understanding you, well, then what the hell. Call it a day and find something else to talk about. You don't know any of these people, and they don't know you. You don't agree, and there it is.

My granny used to say that trying to teach people things they don't want to learn is like trying to teach a pig to sing: wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 12:16 AM

Apparently all of you are confused.

I NEVER, repeat never stated the original LCD pannels were stronger to what the new iMac is.

This is why I dont post here and people should see that now.
Because you have trouble conveying your ideas clearly? It certainly sounded like you were saying the glass makes the new screens more delicate.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 03:40 PM

The screen, ehh hate glossy and the screen is glass....WILL SHATTER ouch...
I'm not quite sure how anybody could NOT take this to mean that the new iMacs are more prone to broken display glass than the old ones were.

Unless you're now claiming that LCD screens have been shattering like crazy ever since their invention, in which case prepare to get laughed off the forum...

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Because you have trouble conveying your ideas clearly? It certainly sounded like you were saying the glass makes the new screens more delicate.

Nope so far it seems people dont read what I type...

I never stated that the new screens make the LCD more delicate. I stated the glass was shatter proof and no one knows how well it will stand up

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 05:30 PM

And you sounded like you were saying they were more fragile than the previous iMacs. When you write something, don't expect people to take it exactly literally. The way people communicate, things don't have to be explicitly said to be meant. Likewise, if you write something poorly, something can be implied that wasn't meant, as in this case.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 05:30 PM

I'm not quite sure how anybody could NOT take this to mean that the new iMacs are more prone to broken display glass than the old ones were.

Unless you're now claiming that LCD screens have been shattering like crazy ever since their invention, in which case prepare to get laughed off the forum...
From what you quoted of me I said the screen is glass and will shatter, that is all. I NEVER again, NEVER stated that the original LCD was worse off or better. (Now i am repeating myself, proving you dont read my posts) I never stated that the new iMacs are more prone for the display to break. I stated that the glass in front of the LCD was not shatter proof, that is all.

mindwaves
Aug 27, 2007, 06:34 PM

Wow, guys. Calm down! Glass is glass as it always has been for thousands of years.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 02:31 PM

How much longer is this thread gonna last about the allegedly fragile glass on the new iMac? It's not even the forum topic from the OP. Stop beating this dead horse and at least wait until something happens. LCD screens have been and still are fragile but nobody goes this far about talking about it. If you can live with the LCD screen you can live with the glass on the iMac.

Killbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 09:59 AM

Ok, apart from the 'what kind of glass' discussion, I now have my second iMac 24" which has a problem with moisture behind the (plexi) glass.

The moisture or condensation indeed goes away after a good few hours of usage. Although it freaked me out at first, there was no reason to take the first new iMac back since the problem went away by itself.

However, a week after using the first iMac, suddenly a huge black spot appeared on the screen. Looked like toner from a copy machine. The black spot was some kind of powder in between the plexiglass cover and the actual LCD screen, filling almost of 50% of the screen.
The cause was obvious: the iMac had been in sunlight to which the black ' dust' seemed to react. Tilting the screen away from the light made the black spots dissapear in a good 10 to 15 minutes. Luckily I made some pictures and send these to Aplle support. I called Apple and they declared it a DOA and i could take it back to the shop getting myself a new one. I am typing this message on the new machine which I switched on for the first time about an hour ago. After I used it for a good 30 minutes, the moisture appeared. Much smaller spot this time, but still clearly visible.

I now have the following dilemma. I am (almost) certain the black spots will appear on this machine as well once exposed to sunlight. The problem is that the weather sucks at the moment, autumn is arriving and with any luck the next time the machine gets exposed to sunlight is a good 7 months away. As murphy's law would suggest, probably the day after the warranty expires....
Taking it back to the store is a hassle and I am about to be rather busy at work soon.

BTW, the sunlight is not ' direct' as if the iMac is outside, it shines through my sky window in my office.

So, to all you experts in here: anyone seen these black spots before? Is it just a matter of lifting the glass cover and removing this normally invisible dust? Or is this a serious design flaw that Apple should fix straight away?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Killbert View Post
(plexi) glass.
Quite certain that it's *not* plexi, but actual glass.

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Killbert View Post
Ok, apart from the 'what kind of glass' discussion, I now have my second iMac 24" which has a problem with moisture behind the (plexi) glass.

The moisture or condensation indeed goes away after a good few hours of usage. Although it freaked me out at first, there was no reason to take the first new iMac back since the problem went away by itself.

However, a week after using the first iMac, suddenly a huge black spot appeared on the screen. Looked like toner from a copy machine. The black spot was some kind of powder in between the plexiglass cover and the actual LCD screen, filling almost of 50% of the screen.
The cause was obvious: the iMac had been in sunlight to which the black ' dust' seemed to react. Tilting the screen away from the light made the black spots dissapear in a good 10 to 15 minutes. Luckily I made some pictures and send these to Aplle support. I called Apple and they declared it a DOA and i could take it back to the shop getting myself a new one. I am typing this message on the new machine which I switched on for the first time about an hour ago. After I used it for a good 30 minutes, the moisture appeared. Much smaller spot this time, but still clearly visible.

I now have the following dilemma. I am (almost) certain the black spots will appear on this machine as well once exposed to sunlight. The problem is that the weather sucks at the moment, autumn is arriving and with any luck the next time the machine gets exposed to sunlight is a good 7 months away. As murphy's law would suggest, probably the day after the warranty expires....
Taking it back to the store is a hassle and I am about to be rather busy at work soon.

BTW, the sunlight is not ' direct' as if the iMac is outside, it shines through my sky window in my office.

So, to all you experts in here: anyone seen these black spots before? Is it just a matter of lifting the glass cover and removing this normally invisible dust? Or is this a serious design flaw that Apple should fix straight away?

This concern about condensation behind the glass is not common. I have had my new iMac 24" 2.8 for 2 weeks now and no condensation. I have used moistened cloths to clean all around the screen and no moisture leakage or anything. I haven't run into any black spots. The glass on the new iMac is real glass and not plexiglass.

The rest of the murphy's law thing you mentioned will only happen to you because you are waiting for it. If you look for trouble it will definitely find it's way on your desktop.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2007, 06:18 PM

I picked up my 20" iMac the day after they were announced, and have had NO problems with anything behind the glass. It's been kept in air conditioned comfort the whole time, but it does get humid here. I don't know what to say except to pay close attention and if anything goes wrong, make sure you mention that it showed condensation after you set it up (presumably in an air conditioned room). There may be some sort of manufacturing issue at work here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mekman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tigerlittle View Post
I am a photographer and thinking about buying an iMac.

Some users on other forum dislike the glossy monitor due to strong reflection of windows and indoor lights.

Do you have any issues with the reflection on your monitor?
Hi I just got the 20" iMac and I use it for for photography hobby. I'm pretty sure I see reflections but they don't bother me, I think the screens pretty good, the colors really pop at me. I do use a color calibration tool though.

To be honest, I think if I were to get another iMac I'd get the 24" iMac, The extra screen real estate and I think better screen may be worth the extra cost. But I'm still very happy with the 20" iMac.

p.s. I moved from Windows to the iMac and the transition was pretty smooth.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 11:49 PM

Killbert, I've never heard of anything like this happening with an iMac, or any other computer for that matter. It's possible that you received two bad models in a row, but either way, get this one replaced as well. If it happens a third time, then you must have pissed off a gypsy or some such

Let us know what happens.

Jordan Green
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 03:04 PM

It looks good, but that condensation behind the glass is not nice, will apple replace the machine if this happens???

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 09:32 PM

Acknowledged?

Nope.

I have an iMac G5 2.0 Ghz. The screen is not glass it is covered with a very thin acrylic sheet also known as "plexiglass" or "perspex'.

Just because it has "glass" in the name does not make it glass or have the same properties.

The acrylic is softer, has a lower melting point but is not as brittle or prone to thermal stress. It tends to acrue grot and is harder to clean and probably only affords minimal protection to the LCD underneath, which you can see discolor if you apply pressure to it, but is hardly likely to shatter.

Real glass is another matter entirely particularly as it is relatively thin unlike the old CRTs which were enormously thick. On the new iMacs the glass sheet is only held in by magnets which may or may not prove to be a clever design feature.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules