Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The new iMac keyboard really does suck.

The new iMac keyboard really does suck. (Page 2)
Alcantara
Banned
Sep 12, 2007, 03:51 PM

I agree. That's why the lampshade iMac's had the best form factor. Height adjustability, tilt, and rotation. The new one only has tilt.

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 04:27 PM

i actually rather like the new keyboard. it took me a couple days to get used to, but i find that i'm a lot quicker on it than i was on the old style keyboard. likewise, my carpal tunnel acts up a lot less when using the new keyboard for extended periods of time.

Alcantara
Banned
Sep 12, 2007, 04:33 PM

really? why?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 05:27 PM

probably because most people rest their palms on their desk while typing. being that the new keyboard is so thin, one can now rest and not stress their wrists to type. i find it a really nice keyboard save for the color combination with this particular imac.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Alcantara View Post
I agree. That's why the lampshade iMac's had the best form factor. Height adjustability, tilt, and rotation. The new one only has tilt.
There's some rotation, simply by turning the whole thing, but height adjustment would be a nice plus. Of course for me the display is at an optimum height as is just sitting on my desk, but not everyone's desk is perfectly suited for that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
probably because most people rest their palms on their desk while typing. being that the new keyboard is so thin, one can now rest and not stress their wrists to type. i find it a really nice keyboard save for the color combination with this particular imac.
you are correct. no gel pad needed. i use a windows machine at work but i've been thinking of buying another one of these keyboards for the work pc as it's comfy and i'm quick on it.

what's wrong with the color combo? the aluminum matches the imac aluminum perfectly.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 07:28 PM

Maybe he's not talking about the aluminum parts?

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Berman View Post
you are correct. no gel pad needed. i use a windows machine at work but i've been thinking of buying another one of these keyboards for the work pc as it's comfy and i'm quick on it.

what's wrong with the color combo? the aluminum matches the imac aluminum perfectly.
I totally agree the aluminum on the keyboard perfectly matches the iMac and I like the fact that Apple maintains the white on accents like the keys and the mouse.

I love the new keyboard. By it being flat it greatly reduces carpal tunnel. Well thought out!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by StrongBadinator View Post
You are now quite the apple fanboy. Tell me, is there ANYTHING you don't like about your new 24" iMac setup? Because right now in every iMac thread you say nothing but positive things, even when faced with links that point out many negatives about the new iMac.
Thank crap this guy got baninated... Can't somebody just like their mac ffs??
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 09:15 PM

For the record, I think the new keyboard is quite nice. It's hot, no question about that, but I think the practical problem is with just how different it feels from other keyboards. I work all day on a generic dell keyboard at work and it takes at least 5 mins for my to adjust to the MB/iMac's flat form when I get home, but once I've been on for a while it's just as fast and cosy, and I love it.
The PB keyboard felt a little more like a normal keyboard, which was a little more practical for me (my 12" PB had the best keyboard i've ever used, apart from the lack of numpad), but none of these issues indicate an actual problem with the new board in terms of design. I think if I used this keyboard day-in, day-out, and the adjustment was taken out of the picture, I'd LOVE it. I personally don't think they've really sacrificed on ergonomics, it feels very natural to me, even for extended use.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 09:27 PM

i'm using a 12" powerbook and the new keyboard, back and forth (doing work on the new kybd, email and some writing on the pb).

i'm loving the new keyboard; feels comfortable, almost 'invisible' between me and what i'm writing.

am holding by breath waiting for the wireless keyboard to ship...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 09:28 AM

So i happened to try out the new iMac Keyboard today and it felt soft and mushy.For those of you who like the keyboard did you like it instantly or did it take you a couple of days?
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 12:27 PM

I've had a chance to poke at the new keyboards, and they seem pretty nice. Don't think I'll mind using one, when I can finally manage to afford a new iMac (come the spring), but just in case, I'll keep my ol' workhorse Matias TactilePro around.

What can I say? I loved the old Extended II, and the Matias is a nice reincarnation of it. Mmmmmm, clicky.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 01:16 PM

I have been using the aluminum keyboard for almost a month now. The software side was kind of buggy at first (1.1 Keyboard Software Update never worked for me). However, it's the best keyboard I have ever used. At work, I'm still using the previous generation Apple white keyboard, which I found it uncomfortable.

As soon as I can get a hold of the wireless aluminum keyboard, I will replace my work keyboard with the wired aluminum keyboard. Stupid KVM switch prevents me to use the wireless keyboard.

Meanwhile, other than the aluminum keyboard, I also love the Apple Pro keyboard, the one you can adjust the height.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 02:31 PM

I thought there's a new Keyboard update that just came out (yesterday, or the day before) ?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by andretan View Post
I thought there's a new Keyboard update that just came out (yesterday, or the day before) ?
Yes, you're right.
Keyboard Software Update 1.2.

However, I believe that Leopard will come with all the keyboard stuff, so I will wait for Leopard and do a clean install.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i'm using a 12" powerbook and the new keyboard, back and forth (doing work on the new kybd, email and some writing on the pb).

i'm loving the new keyboard; feels comfortable, almost 'invisible' between me and what i'm writing.

am holding by breath waiting for the wireless keyboard to ship...
I guess this is Apple's way of making the keyboard, as if it were imbedded into your desktop.
Also isn't it great now that on any Apple store online, you can buy the keyboard language of your choice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
Thank crap this guy got baninated... Can't somebody just like their mac ffs??
That was Ca$h.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam View Post
For those of you who like the keyboard did you like it instantly or did it take you a couple of days?
It took me two or so days to get really used to it. Now I like it very much. I'm certainly not going back. In fact, I actually ordered another two.
•

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It took me two or so days to get really used to it. Now I like it very much. I'm certainly not going back. In fact, I actually ordered another two.
It took me about 15 minutes to get used to it. I've used a huge variety of keyboards-typewriter, teletype, computer, laptop, etc.-and this one has been the easiest to get used to that I've ever used. That's probably a combination of experience and design, but whatever it is, I really like it!

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 11:22 PM

I have had my new iMac -- and aluminum keyboard -- for about as long as Glenn and I have to say I'm still mixed on it. I love the extra function keys. But the extreme flatness of it means I am continually not hitting the spacebar hard enough. I am continually running words together -- and I've never had that problem before this keyboard. In my own opinion, it's just too thin, or maybe it's just that there's not enough "bounce" in the keys.

But -- having said that, I'm still using it! I may go back to my white keyboard though. I just think it should have had a bit more give to it.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2007, 04:28 AM

That extra "give" probably comes from your having your fingers flexed more in the "neutral, waiting to strike a key" position. A higher arch there means more finger extension, more work for the muscles driving the fingers, and generally less comfort. My training has my thumb(s) touching the space bar almost all the time, so I sometimes "over space," but never miss a space due to not striking the bar enough. (My fingers get stupid from time to time and type gibberish or phonetic spellings, and the occasional mushofstuffalljammedtogether. Not positioning-just dumb fingers! )

Kaspers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
In my own opinion, it's just too thin, or maybe it's just that there's not enough "bounce" in the keys.
Yeah, they had to use the keyboard from the Macbook Pro, much more comfortable in my opinion.

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That extra "give" probably comes from your having your fingers flexed more in the "neutral, waiting to strike a key" position. A higher arch there means more finger extension, more work for the muscles driving the fingers, and generally less comfort. My training has my thumb(s) touching the space bar almost all the time, so I sometimes "over space," but never miss a space due to not striking the bar enough. (My fingers get stupid from time to time and type gibberish or phonetic spellings, and the occasional mushofstuffalljammedtogether. Not positioning-just dumb fingers! )
I learned typing one heck of a long time ago -- and I'm pretty sure there's a high arch involved. Maybe I'll try lower down -- though 30-plus years down the road, I'm not sure how much changing i'm going to be doing.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I learned typing one heck of a long time ago -- and I'm pretty sure there's a high arch involved. Maybe I'll try lower down -- though 30-plus years down the road, I'm not sure how much changing i'm going to be doing.
You'd be surprised. I learned to type in 8th grade-which was in 1973... Practice letting your fingers rest lightly on the keys and you'll start relaxing. After that, it's all about practice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2007, 11:46 PM

ghporter: you seem to know a lot about ergonomics... Perhaps we need a whole other thread for this subject, but I have a question for you.

At work I work with a pretty expensive adjustable tray with palm rest and the whole nine yards. My wrists and hands seem to do okay, although sometimes my hands feel tired like I have arthritis or something.

My greatest problem though is shoulder strain in my mousing arm. I try to mouse using my arm, but this alone doesn't seem to be enough for me. Any tips?

Studies have shown that Unix is the least ergonomic OS since it involves the most typing, but honestly, for me, it's mousing which creates the greatest problem for me with this particular setup...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 06:14 AM

When I still used a mouse, I found resting my wrist on the desk and shoving the mouse around using only my finger-tips is quite relaxed.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
ghporter: you seem to know a lot about ergonomics... Perhaps we need a whole other thread for this subject, but I have a question for you.

At work I work with a pretty expensive adjustable tray with palm rest and the whole nine yards. My wrists and hands seem to do okay, although sometimes my hands feel tired like I have arthritis or something.

My greatest problem though is shoulder strain in my mousing arm. I try to mouse using my arm, but this alone doesn't seem to be enough for me. Any tips?

Studies have shown that Unix is the least ergonomic OS since it involves the most typing, but honestly, for me, it's mousing which creates the greatest problem for me with this particular setup...
The biggest ergonomic mistakes are made by people (including "ergonomics designers") who isolate the hand from the rest of the body. It's a system, and your shoulder and head are as important to your hand's work as your fingers.

Mousing with your arm (with smaller, more precise movements made using one's hand and its smaller, more precise muscles) is a good idea. But don't get complacent; arrange everything so you can't help but do things this way. Your keyboard and mouse surfaces should allow your arms to hang straight down from your shoulders, and your shoulders should be pretty much aligned with your trunk. Ideally, you should sit so that the axis of your shoulder is aligned with your ear, an your arms reach forward just enough to reach the keyboard-by pivoting at the shoulder, not rotating your shoulder forward.

You should also take frequent "mini-breaks." While a page starts to load or a file is saving, sit up straight and stretch in place. One great one that will help your shoulder is a neck stretch: sit with your right hand behind your lower back as low as possible, and lean your head to the left. You'll feel a LOT of muscles stretching with this! Now do the same on the other side. This takes seconds and helps immensely. Practicing lowering your shoulders is important too, because they tend to "creep up" on most people while they type or mouse. The ever-popular "pull back your shoulders stretch" is ever-popular for a reason: it works great. But complement it with a forward shoulder stretch and you'll feel even better. All of these things can be done without stirring any more than you would to reach your cup of coffee, and yet they'll make you feel worlds better, both at the moment and at the end of the day.

These are simply applications of ergonomic principles from a functional and biomechanical standpoint. What escapes the "ergonomic designers" is that everything has to go together in balance, or the $1500 desk and $1400 chair are worth poo.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 09:49 AM

well i bought the new iMac yesterday and i must say i love the new keyboard more than i thought i would. People saying that it sucks made me think it wouldnt be this good. hehe,

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2007, 01:40 PM

The biggest ergonomic mistakes are made by people (including "ergonomics designers") who isolate the hand from the rest of the body. It's a system, and your shoulder and head are as important to your hand's work as your fingers.

Mousing with your arm (with smaller, more precise movements made using one's hand and its smaller, more precise muscles) is a good idea. But don't get complacent; arrange everything so you can't help but do things this way. Your keyboard and mouse surfaces should allow your arms to hang straight down from your shoulders, and your shoulders should be pretty much aligned with your trunk. Ideally, you should sit so that the axis of your shoulder is aligned with your ear, an your arms reach forward just enough to reach the keyboard-by pivoting at the shoulder, not rotating your shoulder forward.

You should also take frequent "mini-breaks." While a page starts to load or a file is saving, sit up straight and stretch in place. One great one that will help your shoulder is a neck stretch: sit with your right hand behind your lower back as low as possible, and lean your head to the left. You'll feel a LOT of muscles stretching with this! Now do the same on the other side. This takes seconds and helps immensely. Practicing lowering your shoulders is important too, because they tend to "creep up" on most people while they type or mouse. The ever-popular "pull back your shoulders stretch" is ever-popular for a reason: it works great. But complement it with a forward shoulder stretch and you'll feel even better. All of these things can be done without stirring any more than you would to reach your cup of coffee, and yet they'll make you feel worlds better, both at the moment and at the end of the day.

These are simply applications of ergonomic principles from a functional and biomechanical standpoint. What escapes the "ergonomic designers" is that everything has to go together in balance, or the $1500 desk and $1400 chair are worth poo.

Thanks for this! I'll start practicing all of this on Monday and will let you know how it goes

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2007, 03:32 PM

I just stumbled on this thread, so forgive me for quoting something from a week ago.

I wouldn't call the logo any more "overstated" than the white iMacs' glowing logo was.
I'm not aware of any iMacs that had glowing logos.

Anyway, I'm really struggling to decide what I should use my $100 iPhone rebate on, and one possibility is a new keyboard. I'm using the Macally Icekey keyboard, which is pretty similar in feel to the keyboards on the aluminum powerbooks, and I love it. Although I first learned to type on an Apple IIe (which was a very clackity keyboard that required pretty hard strokes) I've been using laptops forever, and that has basically made it impossible for me to use any keyboard that has a lot of travel. I couldn't stand the previous white Apple keyboards, for example.

I don't really need a new keyboard at the moment, but the new keyboards do look very cool. I was thinking of possibly getting both the wired and wireless versions. The wired one would be for my main desktop, since I don't see any point in getting a wireless keyboard if it's just going to be sitting in my keyboard drawer, and because I use the keypad a lot. The wired one would be used for the Windows PC that I have hooked up to my HDTV. I occasionally use it for streaming iTunes content, and for gaming. Does anyone know of any reviews of the wireless one? I think some people have started getting theirs.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 03:38 PM

I haven't used the wireless one but I bought one of the wired ones and I absolutely love it. Feels great on the wrists almost like I am typing perfectly flat on my desk drawer. I also had the Logitech diNovo previous to this one and I greatly prefer the new iMac keyboard.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm not aware of any iMacs that had glowing logos.
Literary license-I think the transparent logo in the midst of the almost-opaque white case "glows" in normal lighting. I guess my post wasn't to clear, eh? Sorry. I feel that the black logo on a silver aluminum background is "bold" and "distinctive," but not something that is distracting or something any more than the logo on the white models was distracting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules