Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help Me Install New RAM in my iMac Please :-)

Help Me Install New RAM in my iMac Please :-)
prominence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 07:22 PM

Hey there. I just bought 4Gigs of RAM from Crucial for my Intel iMac 2.8 Extreme. I was wondering if someone could please post a diagram or pictures of how to install the RAM when it arrives, and let me know what tools I will need to use to do so. I have never cracked open an iMac before. If there is another post with the answer you can also just re-direct me there.

Thank you all for the help in advance. :-)

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 07:49 PM

The link to the Apple instructions page is here. There's pictures and all. It's stupidly easy. Enjoy maxing it out.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 08:02 PM

And your instruction manual will tell you how to do it as well. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver and some RAM.

I popped 4 Gigs into my 2.4, and it makes a noticeable difference.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2008, 10:46 PM

Well.... you do need a GOOD #00(?) Phillips screwdriver. But it's cake, really cake. Nothing to it, easy as pie, etc., etc. Read either your manual or shinyaro's link or both (I printed the instructions from the link so I'd have 'em handy when I did it) and follow the instructions carefully.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 12:22 AM

lay down a piece of cloth (I use a t-shirt) on the desk. Turn off the iMac, unplug it and all peripherals. Now lay the iMac face down so that the bottom of the stand is facing you. On the bottom of the stand, you will notice a little diagram. This shows how to open the RAM slot. Once the slot is open, pull the tabs, and pull out the old RAM. put the new RAM in (the top of the RAM goes toward the front of the computer, so place the sticker side down) Put the slot cover back on, plug in, and turn on.

prominence  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 01:02 AM

Thanks so much for your help all!

I am getting it because I got Office 2008 and it eats up all my 2 gigs with safari open and itunes open as well. So hopefully 4 gigs will do the trick.

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 04:57 PM

Running Safari/iTunes/MS Office 08 takes up 2GB of RAM?!?!?!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
(the top of the RAM goes toward the front of the computer, so place the sticker side down) Put the slot cover back on, plug in, and turn on.
Advice like that could cause some trouble because different vendors may place stickers on different sides. A better way to figure out which way the RAM goes is to look at the slot and locate the "rib" (the little guide post in the middle) and to make sure that the module's corresponding middle nub is matched up. If you have it the wrong way, the module's nub won't line up with the slot's rib at all.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:14 PM

Oh... I thought sticker-side was a standardized measure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules