Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > fonts

fonts
mattmarshall
Senior User
Oct 31, 1999, 03:37 PM

hey all,
i've got a question that pertains to mac os fonts, especially on the internet.

right now, i'm using a g3 in our school's computer lab, runnng os 9, but this has been the same on any mac i've tried to date.

the fonts on many web sites is awful-- can barely read it. it's the worst when filling in something on a web site--like typing in a search on yahoo or something, or doing a product search on outpost.com....i can barely read what i type.

why is this? is there a way to fix it?

thanks,
-matt

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 1999, 07:02 PM

Have you tried setting the font preferences in your browser?

In Netscape Navigator or Communicator, go to Editreferences. In the preference window, go to Appearance:Fonts.

In Internet Explorer, you can only try to use the larger font size button in the toolbar. There is no font setting in the preferences.

Hope this helps.

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Oct 31, 1999, 08:15 PM

i've messed all around with the settings.

right now. i think a lot of it might have to do w/ resolution or something--right now, i'm on one with the screen set to 1024*768 and when i browse the web i put the font up to the largest possible in internet explorer. things look ok, but when i enter something in a form on a web site, it is still so small i can't read it. also, i like ot use the 832*624 res., i guess i'll just have to tinker with it.

i've only been trying macs the last couple of weeks--and this is the one major thing that's bothered me. i like the way web sites look a lot better on pc's--especially the fonts. i'm just finding it hard to read sometime on the mac screen---but, sometimes it's also a lot crisper and bette rthan i've seen on pc's. does anyone else know what i'm talking about????? that sounds silly....

i'll just mess around with them a bit more to see of i can find something that suits me, i guess.

-matt

Waldo
Oct 31, 1999, 09:37 PM

With OS 9?
Try going to the appearance control panel. Make sure the smooth fonts over size -- isn't checked. I had that problem too, and that's what I did to fix it. May not be your problem though.
Willie

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 1999, 04:32 PM

The problem is on a Mac in the lab, not? Contact the lab's administrator or the party directly responsible for the upkeep of the lab. They'll probably be able to help.

Part of what you describe sounds like some really crappy CSS-1 font-size desclarations--some idiot PC user specifiying an 7px font so it "looks" like 10pt under Windows' default font setting. You'll see a lot of Microsoft pages doing this, but ZDNet sinned at macsearch . com for awhile as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules