Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AW 6.2.1 installed - HUGE improvement

AW 6.2.1 installed - HUGE improvement
Colonel Panic
Senior User
Sep 28, 2001, 07:28 PM

Much zippier, and it doesn't suck down CPU cycles when in the background!
AW is usable again. Finally.

I still can't believe it's not Aqua compliant - no sheets: one of the heavily advertised interface improvements for X...

Also hard to believe there's no real-time spell checking since this is a system-wide service. Are there any carbon apps that can use services?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2001, 10:23 PM

Carbon apps can use the Services menu under 10.1, but they still don't support the type of system service that AppleSpell is. That just might be too intertwined with the Cocoa architecture to implement Carbon support for. But who knows... maybe we'll see it in 10.2.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2001, 07:55 AM

the apple works team needs to drug out into the street and shot. They need a good serious kick in the junk, this is ridiculous! I can under stand FCP but Appleworks?!? It needs to have the Aqua UI, it need to set a president for how all apps should work.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

<Jtanner>
Oct 1, 2001, 07:07 AM

I installed the new update and thought things were great, until I started working in a database. Selecting a different layout screws the whole thing up. It makes the toolbar disappear and the whole document goes to the background gray, like it slid the whole thing over. Scroll bars have no effect.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2001, 11:45 AM

I don't know if I'd call it a huge improvement, but I must say I love the added speed, CPU-efficiency, and stability.

I do agree that they need to finish Aqua-izing it, though. That, and they need to get Carbon's Services support up to snuff, including Spellchecker-like services.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2001, 03:09 AM

I dunno, you guys seen that new linux office suite? Here's the url something-office

and it's $45! Comes out in Nov. I'll be very interested in that.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 02:33 PM

I just wish that OpenOffice (openoffice.org) would receive some more support from our Open Source community so that we can finish the port.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2001, 07:37 PM

But I will get them props for at least making it stable. Been running for nearly 3 days now without a single crash. Never seen word do that.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Forum Links
Forum Rules