Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Interesting eweek article on PowerPC G5

Interesting eweek article on PowerPC G5
Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 07:35 AM

http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0...=130218,00.asp

PS. Someone had posted this before. I should have checked. Don't you just love double posts?
( Last edited by Musti; Jun 26, 2004 at 07:44 AM. )

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2004, 08:40 AM

Let me say this- I really dont think there will be new PB any time this year - maybe in Jan. Current crop are selling well. Maybe SJ will make a reference to the G% going moble but it wont happen until January.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Let me say this- I really dont think there will be new PB any time this year - maybe in Jan. Current crop are selling well. Maybe SJ will make a reference to the G% going moble but it wont happen until January.
: being stupid, ignore me, move along please :
( Last edited by goMac; Jun 26, 2004 at 02:05 PM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2004, 11:54 PM

I agree, I doubt there will be a G5 PB this year. In addition to marketing and technological influences (like the work in rebuilding the entire architecture for a G5), I have an even more compelling reason to believe they won't be around for some time:

I have money to purchase a G5 PB now, but it will have to be spent by the end of 2004!

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 07:15 AM

I think we're at the limit of the G4 - bear in mind the PowerMac G4 only reached 1.6GHz and the PowerBooks are now at 1.5GHz. The next update will likely be the G5 sometime next year, but even then it's quite clear based on the cooling requirements with the PowerMac and xServe that the PowerBook G5 would need to be considerably underclocked (say only 1.6GHz) to work in the AlBook enclosure...

Forum Links
Forum Rules