Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook/Panther Report

PowerBook/Panther Report
waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:42 AM

For those who are wary of installing Panther on their PowerBook and waiting to hear some responses - I'm happy to report only 1 issue. I'm quite pleased.

I choose the archive and install option on a TiBook 1 GHz connected to a 22" Cinema Display. Installation when smooth and took around 45 minutes (estimate).

After the install, I checked to make sure all my apps work. All work - Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Flash MX, Office X, Ghost Recon, Warcraft III, and VP 6. Reason 2.5 worked, but my MIDI controller (Oxygen8) didn't work anymore. I checked the /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers folder and found it to be empty. I copied over the MIDI driver for the keyboard from my previous install of Jaguar that I chose to archive when I did the install. This didn't work. Went to the M-Audio web site and downloaded a driver that was newer than the previous one. It worked.

With Panther, the GUI is snappier and it feels like apps launch faster. If you are debating whether to upgrade - the speed increase makes it worth it, IMHO. I haven't noticed any difference in battery performance - I get the same 2.5 hours that I got with Jaguar. Boot up time seems a little longer, though.

The DVD Player looks updated from the one in Jaguar. Check out the new controller - it looks cool.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Oct 26, 2003 at 10:52 AM. )

spotze23
Oct 26, 2003, 10:50 AM

one issue: after some minutes using x11 the tcsh needs 90% cpu. it does not quit with x11. i have to kill the process with activity monitor.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 12:59 PM

I'm new to the world of the powerbook and apple, and I do moderate programming, and after writing some java programs for school, I noticed my computer was running exceptionally slow, to the point where i was seeing the circle with the rainbow colors whenever i tried to open an app. I had just ran panther and was really stumped as to why it was running so slow. Then, i find this response, fire up activity monitor, and sure enough, 90% Memory usage after I had quit out of x11. Quit the process, and fast computer again. I need to get more RAM. Panther is quicker!!
( Last edited by s0litude; Oct 27, 2003 at 01:08 PM. )
Hi!

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 01:22 PM

Some reports coming in that DiskWarrior doesn't work with Panther.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Forum Links
Forum Rules