Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Uninstall System Software update package

Uninstall System Software update package
aderium
Nov 17, 2003, 10:36 PM

Hi everyone,

Well I decided to update my Laptop with 10.2.8 to 10.3 with an upgrade cd.

Before understanding that my 10.3 was not working correctly I updated to 10.3.1

Now I need to Archive & Install but my cd says it is not possible because a newer version is on the computer (10.3.1)

The only option I have (besides going out there and spending 120.00 bucks !! ) is to uninstall the 10.3.1 update package and go back to 10.3 so that my upgrade cd will work.

How do I uninstall the pkg ? Is there a command line that will allow me to do so?

HELP !!!!!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2003, 10:54 PM

There's no way to uninstall something like that, since it replaces old files and doesn't back them up. Uninstalling, if it were possible, would break things left and right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2003, 10:59 PM

Some (very) careful use of sudo rm -rf could uninstall OS X from your drive...

edit: actually, now that I think about it, it would probably be safer to do what the Installer does, just move the stuff into a folder called "Previous System Folder" or some such thing instead of deleting it...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 11:45 PM

I'm not sure what laptop you own, but if it is a Titanium powerbook (or newer), it should have come with the earlier OS X install CDs...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 12:05 AM

You need to re-install 10.2 (archive install if it will let you, otherwise clean install).

aderium  (op)
Nov 18, 2003, 12:05 AM

Yeah it did come with earlier installs ... so u suggest to install Jaguar again and then reinstall panther?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by aderium:
Yeah it did come with earlier installs ... so u suggest to install Jaguar again and then reinstall panther?
If Panther won't let you archive install, then I don't know why Jaguar would. I'm not sure why he said that.

If you can manage to delete all of your OS X files, then maybe the Panther installer won't recognize your OS X installation anymore and will let you do an install. But you have to make sure to get everything, including the symlinks and hidden folders and whatnot; otherwise your current problem may remain, or other weird **** could happen. It definitely sounds like the best thing to do would be to back up your home folder and do an erase install.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by aderium:
Yes. I was in the same position with 10.3.1 preventing me from reinstalling 10.3 (I wanted to go back and clean install). Using my Jaguar restore CD to return to 10.2.7, then clean installing Panther, then re-upgrading to 10.3.1 worked without a problem.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 07:21 AM

Have you tried removing the "MacOSXUpdate1.3.1.pkg" receipt from /Library/Receipts and then doing the A&I? Might work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules