Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where to buy memory?

Where to buy memory?
gunbuster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 04:17 PM

I've ordered memory from one online vendor, and I'm going to have to return it a second time, because it just doesn't work. I have a Al Powerbook 15", which still has been relatively problem free.. no white spots or latch problems so far! But I'm having the darndest time w/ installing new memory.

The first time, the PB wouldn't even boot, it would make a strange beeping sound the shutdown. Obviously it didn't like the memory.

So I returned the memory and they guaranteed that the next one would be compatible. The invoice said Samsung 512MB PC2700 333MHZ 200PIN DDR SODIMM. Looks like it's a winner. I didn't see Samsung on the chips, but what do I know about these things.

I carefully put the memory in, watching out for ESD, and power up. I get the happy chord sound and I figure I'm good to go. Desktop starts coming up and then... CRASH. Powerbook freezes. I've played w/ a number of different configurations, one sodimm, then moving them around, then swapping sodimms. No luck, it gets just past the login screen then dies.

So, I'm sending it back again. I figure I'll just ask for a refund.

So what brand of memory and which vendor is worth buying from? I love my PB, but I'd love it more w/ 1GB of memory...

sovereign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 04:38 PM

Crucial.

Go to their website and read the FAQ and description on RAM and then ask yourself why you would buy RAM anywhere else. Easy, simple to order from website, free 2day shipping, and a tracking # sent to your email.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 04:44 PM

Greetings gunbuster, and welcome. Other than the memory problems, I hope your enjoying your new Powerbook.

Where to buy memory is one of the most common thread subjects here, so you might want to run a search -- you're likely to get a lot of good leads.

For my money, I always use crucial.com. Their prices are higher-end but competitive, their quality is excellent. I'm using one of their sticks in my new Powerbook right now, problem-free.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 05:35 PM

naknek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 06:54 PM

I like crucial and 18004memory.com.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

More options for buying memory listed on this thread.

wedgewood
Nov 22, 2003, 12:01 AM

Kingston

http://www.kingston.com

It is a good place to buy a high quality memory for the powerbook.

MemoryX

http://www.memoryx.com

It sells the same memory module like 512MB samsung memeory in 15/17"powerbook. It also sells 1GB memory.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 12:05 AM

http://www.crucial.com

... that is, unless you want 1GB (they do not stock it yet )

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:26 PM

RAMJET is good too. I did not a problem with the ram that was in my Quicksilver.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
RAMJET is good too. I did not a problem with the ram that was in my Quicksilver.
They have 1GB chips too for AL books, but with a price tag of $599.

surfimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 09:02 PM

I have a 512MB RAM card from OWC, but I had to get a second card shipped out to me as the first was bad. The new card seems to be OK, from what I can tell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules