Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther PAINFULLY slow on 450 MP

Panther PAINFULLY slow on 450 MP
Nov 19, 2003, 03:23 AM

I just did an upgrade from Jaguar (which ran nicely), but since upgrading to Panther: start-up takes well over a minute and a half, apps like Quark 6 and PS 7 take over a minute to start and etc...

I did a search and found nothing like this prob. Any suggestions?
PC's are Feces!!!!

MDA
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Senior Member:
I just did an upgrade from Jaguar (which ran nicely), but since upgrading to Panther: start-up takes well over a minute and a half, apps like Quark 6 and PS 7 take over a minute to start and etc...

I did a search and found nothing like this prob. Any suggestions?
There is something wrong with your install. Did you remember to repair permissions after upgrading? You might want to try an archive and install.

MDA

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 03:57 AM

no problems with speed with panther on my 450 dp, i'd suggest an 'archive and install' installation.

Senior Member  (op)
Nov 19, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by fourstarcltv:
no problems with speed with panther on my 450 dp, i'd suggest an 'archive and install' installation.
Nope, just did that and it's still slow. Although not as slow as before I re-installed.
PC's are Feces!!!!

Senior Member  (op)
Nov 19, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by MDA:
There is something wrong with your install. Did you remember to repair permissions after upgrading? You might want to try an archive and install.

MDA
I did all of the above and it's still slow.
PC's are Feces!!!!

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by fourstarcltv:
same here - it runs sweet
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

Senior Member  (op)
Nov 19, 2003, 10:13 AM

I trashed all the preferences, turned off fast switch, reinstalled with archive... and it's still MUCH slower than Jag.

I guess next I'll do a complete wipe out.
WHich is a pain because I have to backup 20 gig. I'm VERY unhappy with Panther.
PC's are Feces!!!!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 10:26 AM

If you did an archive and install, then simply creating a new user should give you everything a fresh install would.
Create a new user and try it. I use a 450 cube and have no complaints at all about the speed. I use a much faster dualie at home to. I do hate all those damed animated GIFs in the instant smiles thing when doing a reply like this, it sucks up so much CPU and makes my computer feel slow.
Have you tried running top in terminal to see if there is something consuming more cpu% than it should?

Senior Member  (op)
Nov 19, 2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
If you did an archive and install, then simply creating a new user should give you everything a fresh install would.
Create a new user and try it. I use a 450 cube and have no complaints at all about the speed. I use a much faster dualie at home to. I do hate all those damed animated GIFs in the instant smiles thing when doing a reply like this, it sucks up so much CPU and makes my computer feel slow.
Have you tried running top in terminal to see if there is something consuming more cpu% than it should?
I reinstalled...AGAIN! This time I did the archive without saving any network settings and everything worked swell. Except... I acidentally deleted some important files from my previous system folder. Nothing life of death, jsut annoying as hell.

THanks to all for your help! I couldn't have at least got it to run without you. I'm sorry I dissed Panther, can you ever forgive me?
PC's are Feces!!!!

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by MDA:
Did you remember to repair permissions after upgrading?
Should this too be done after a clean-install of Panther? If so, what is it and why (I'm a recent OS 9 upgrader)?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Senior Member:
I reinstalled...AGAIN! This time I did the archive without saving any network settings and everything worked swell. Except... I acidentally deleted some important files from my previous system folder. Nothing life of death, jsut annoying as hell.

THanks to all for your help! I couldn't have at least got it to run without you. I'm sorry I dissed Panther, can you ever forgive me?
You should be able to find a previous system folder at the room of your drive, along with previous user accounts.

C-Bear
Normally, permissions should not need repaired, but I recommend you do it at least once to ensure they are correct, depending on your upgrade process. I have done it once or twice on all of my macs. It is just another troubleshooting step one can do, like rebuilding a desktop in OS 9.

Forum Links
Forum Rules