Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > noisy hardrive?

noisy hardrive?
blackmomba41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 11:09 AM

it seems like the hardrive on my powerbook is constantly on and there is always and "air rushing through" sound comming from the botton left of my powerbook. the only time it shuts off is when the computer goes to sleep or when it is shut off. its not as loud as the fan, but it seems like a mini fan that constantly cools the hardrive. is this normal to always be on? and is the sound noticable like mine? (i can only hear it in a quite room)

fuuraal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 11:14 AM

i can hear mine all the time and it seems to be louder since AppleCare replaced my fans last week. not sure if this is good or normal, but good luck!

[i'm trying to submit a new post and the "new post" buttons won't work for me... i'm not even sure if this reply will work... i tried safari, netscape, and explorer and can't get my msg posted... is there a trick i don' tknow about?]

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 11:26 AM

blackmomba >

You need to post which HD you have. Some are louder than others and we can't determine if the noise you are hearing is normal unless we know which drive you have. How big is it? What speed is it? What company makes it?

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 11:33 AM

This new 15" makes this sound as well. My ibook is almost completley silent, but this one sounds like there is a fan running all the time. It's also as cold as ice, so it's not a heat issue. Where is the hard drive?

An where is this 'dreamy' keyboard I've heard so much about? The ibook wins here, but maybe it just needs to settle in. It's got the sqeeky keys that I read about. Almost like there is a key sound in preferences. I'll give it some time.

My drive is the ST9808211A
( Last edited by broxy5; Nov 8, 2005 at 12:17 PM. )

blackmomba41  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 07:22 PM

not shure if this is what you want be here you go.

ATA Bus:

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845E:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845E
Revision: DMP2
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

ATA Bus:

Hitachi HTS541080G9AT00:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: Hitachi HTS541080G9AT00
Revision: MB4AA63A
Serial Number: MPB4RAX6GZYJ9G
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:

its a 1.5 Ghz superdrive. the "new" pwoerbook

blackmomba41  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 09:56 PM

please help anyone. i dont want to have a defective hard drive

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 11:09 PM

I put a 100GB Seagate Momentus in my iBook, and I have the same noise you're talking about. Much louder than my old Toshiba drive, but not an annoying loud, just a low "whoosh" just like a fan being on all the time.

I even went and bought another identical drive, and it made the same noise. I'm not happy about it, but don't feel like buying another drive and opening up my iBook again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules