Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB 15inch Display lines?

New PB 15inch Display lines? (Page 3)
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 07:47 PM

No lines here on my new 17".

the bottom of the monitor has a brighter than the rest of the monitor glow. Not distracting or anything, actually kinda cool. Looks it's "glowling"

So very *very* happy with my $2,500 purchase today. *So* happy.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
No lines here on my new 17".
While this thread is about 15" PBooks, it's interesting to note that I haven't heard any 17" PBook owners having this screen problem. Is this only in the 15" PBooks?

iBorg

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 07:57 PM

Moon Potato -- Can you replicate the lines issue by switching gamma to 1.8? I usually prefer the 1.8 setting. And what did you do to calibrate -- ColorVision Spyder2Pro or something like that?

Moon Potato
Nov 4, 2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by photoeditor
Moon Potato -- Can you replicate the lines issue by switching gamma to 1.8? I usually prefer the 1.8 setting. And what did you do to calibrate -- ColorVision Spyder2Pro or something like that?
I did a custom calibration with advanced options on through the displays system pref.
On close inspection, the lines are still slightly visible, but only when viewing it from pretty close (about half an arm's length), and are only significantly noticeable on lighter shades of grey. Switching color profiles back to a generic one does intensify the problem.

cplusd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 02:10 AM

http://www.inlineinc.com/tech/notes/technot2.htm

Might not sheed light on this issue but some may find it
a interesting read.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 03:18 AM

OK. Those with the problem--

Do you see the lines in white areas up close?
With the default Apple Desktop up close?
From farther than a eight inches?

My answers:
No
Yes
No

My unscientific survey says 2 out of 3, it's good to me.

Rewes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 11:10 AM

So do you guys think this is rather hardware than software problem? I´am not quite sure what to do next. Should I return this and wait for the Intel ones, or what? What are you guys (and girls) going to do?

LoRdKaLiBaH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 04:18 AM

I think the consensus is its a hardware issue.

If it is truely preforming to spec then nothing will be changed.

Zeno C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 10:30 AM

Although I could live with them, horizontal lines are definitely visible on my new 15inch PB.

Launch GraphicConverter, create two new images of 1440x960, fill the first one with a gray color and keep the second image white, (Save As PICT) and then observe them in Full Screen (within GraphicConverter, hit Command-G). You will see your slightly "striped" screen with the gray image, while those lines will completely "disappear" with the white image...

CAN ANYBODY WITH A NEW 15" POWERBOOK PROVIDE CONCRETE PROOF THAT HIS SCREEN IS COMPLETELY AND PERFECTLY UNIFORM WITH NO VISIBLE HORIZONTAL LINES WHEN DISPLAYING A GRAY BACKGROUND?

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 10:35 AM

I agree: can anybody show that they have a screen that has no horizontal lines? I hope Apple addresses this soon....

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 11:27 AM

No, they all have them. The people that posted in the poll that say they do not have them either have the 17" or they just can't see them, but they are present on ALL new 15" PowerBooks.

robisconfusedd
Nov 8, 2005, 11:40 AM

i went to frys today and looked at the new 15" since ive been really anticipating getting a new one, and i was dissapointed in the display quality as well, i noticed these lines you speak of on the display model, and i have to say my 12" screen looks a lot nicer than the new 15".. i didnt look at the 17" much, someone else was using it
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 11:58 AM

Not mine, and I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

The ever running fan sound on the other hand...is it the fan or the hard drive??
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=274825

Rewes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by broxy5
The ever running fan sound on the other hand...is it the fan or the hard drive??
Do you have the 7200RPM hard drive?

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 01:42 PM

Not mine, and I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

We'll believe it when we see it but my guess is that you just don't notice them. You are talking about a 15" powerbook with 1440 res correct?

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 02:06 PM

Someone indisputably posted photographs of an indisputably good HD Powerbook display, I believe on this forum. What I'm curious about is to know whether someone with a defective display has been successful in getting it fixed. The two most detailed threads on the Apple site were locked this morning.

Until I know someone has been successful in getting it fixed, I am not buying one.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 02:14 PM

I'm going to use mine until next Wednesday (the end of my 14 day return period), and then it will be Apple's problem. I'm not going to keep a laptop with a defective display.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 02:37 PM

I've got a new 15... display looksk better than any other 15 I've had.. and I've had like 6 others.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 02:59 PM

chipchen,

Is there any way you can take a picture and post for us to see?

thanks

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 03:09 PM

Are you guys perhaps looking at the horizontal lines in the background of macnn? If I have them, I don't see what the big deal is all about.

I have the 5400 rpm drive.

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 04:13 PM

Are you guys perhaps looking at the horizontal lines in the background of macnn? If I have them, I don't see what the big deal is all about.

I have the 5400 rpm drive.

Yeah, you know, because MacNN is the only site that we go to.. and you know... when people were talking about using Photoshop with grey fills, they really meant, "the striped background of MacNN.

From the picture that you posted, you do in fact have the lines. Check out the solid grey color of the quote box. You cannot see the lines on a white background. Open up photoshop and make a full screen image of 50% grey.

If you can't see them, then great... but they are still there.

I don't see what the big deal is either but apparently mrmister and VisualForces are loosing income it's affecting their professional work so much.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 04:27 PM

It's not the hard drive, it's not an illusion, it's not software related - it's the LCD panel.

This issue looks like the 'screen door effect' that is found in some panels made by Philips LG (and even some by Samsung - depending on the panel model). It's not a defect, it's how some of their panels are and I believe it's due to the coating at certain resolutions. It looks as if there is a fine layer of a 'screen mesh' over the panel when looking up-close - found in a door or a window. It may be more obvious on a grey background and when moving the display around. If the display also favor towards a cool (blue-ish) color, then chances are it's a Philips LG panel.

Also, computer makers such as Apple, Dell, and HP all use different panel manufacturers at random - even for the same notebook model. It's a crapshoot and you don't know which you're getting when you order, nor can you request one make over another. This is common practice and as long as the panel meets the specs under the product description, it's legal.

You can order 2 or 3 of the same model PowerBooks, and they can all have different LCD panels in them (even though they share the same specs). Some look brighter than others, some may look like they have better contrast than others, and some have different coatings than others.

So, two different people can have the same 'new' 15" PowerBook, but that doesn't mean that they are both going to necessarily show this 'problem' as one could have an LG, and the other a Samsung or a Hitachi panel, etc.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 05:06 PM

It's not the hard drive
I didn't mean to suggest it was the hard drive, that was in reference to hard drive noise.

Geez, tough crowd. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. If I've got them, they don't affect me one bit. See you guys later.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 05:16 PM

This is borderline ridiculous. A freaking 12" iBook with a 1024x768 display is NOT better than this.

If Apple has difficulty attracting marketshare, I suspect it's because Apple attracts a greater proportion of users that are in serious need of a reality check. If you are a HARDCORE graphic designer, I understand your point to an extent (although if you're that good, I'm not sure why you're using a PowerBook anyway as opposed to a real computer with a significantly brighter "real" panel anyway). Everyone else -- do you want some cheese with your whine?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by John123
Everyone else -- do you want some cheese with your whine?
Well, if you're serving a merlot, a nice wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano would be great!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by StiZeven
Well, if you're serving a merlot, a nice wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano would be great!
That does sound tasty....

I'll admit that the lines on a gray background are a bit irritating. (I do a lot of Remote Desktop work to Windows machines, and that is when I REALLY notice it.) But otherwise, unless you're really looking for it, it's not going to bother you most of the time. It's not unlike a stuck pixel -- it chafes you mostly because you know it's imperfect, not because it really interferes that much.

If there is a repair program, I'll take advantage of it (eventually), but if there isn't, I'm not going to cry about it.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

VisualForces
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 05:52 PM

(although if you're that good, I'm not sure why you're using a PowerBook anyway as opposed to a real computer with a significantly brighter "real" panel anyway).
Because I travel. I have a real computer with a "real" panel, but I can't travel with it....actually....I did for a while simply because I had no other option. I borrowed a 17" previous model from a co-worker and it worked great. I bought an iBook (mainly for personal use) in September after no PB announcements at the Paris Expo. Worked great, but not enough power. The new PowerBooks were released and I thought it was a good idea to trade in the iBook for the PowerBook. Everything is great except for the lines. I can work around it...but the point is, I shouldn't have to.

If my career justifies my opinion, I work with various forms of media (websites, CD-ROMs, DVDs, brochures, magazine ads, billboards, etc). I need my monitor to be as precise as possible. I still don't think it's too much to ask for upgraded PowerBooks to look as good (screen quality-wise) as the previous model. Some may think this one does, but I don't.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 05:56 PM

My Dell 2001FP (which has an LG Philips panel) had these lines (AKA screen door effect). At first it annoyed me, but your eyes get used to it and you don't see them any more. The color saturation was good and there were no stuck pixels (and it was free) so who was I to complain.

However, when I upgraded my desktop PC and got the new Dell 24" 2450FPW LCD (which has a Samsung panel) I was positively amazed at how much better this panel was. I was like, wow - so *that's* what whites and grays are supposed to look like. No lines, no grids, just silky smooth backgrounds with extremely bright and deep contrast/colors. It's simply a superior display panel and now when I look at the 2001FP, it indeed looks like a POS.

As far as I am concerned, to sum it up - there are much better LCD panels out there for notebooks, Apple simply isn't using them. In contrast to what is on the PC side, PowerBook and iBook displays are inferior to those that are in much less expensive machines. I never thought PowerBook displays were any better than any other PC maker, cuz they all use panels from the same manufacturers.

But, since Apple is taking a while to get on the 'XBRITE' dual bulb/led/high contrast technology bandwagon, it's painfully more obvious with the latest revisions since the panels they *are* using are mediocre at best.

...well, IMHO.
( Last edited by StiZeven; Nov 8, 2005 at 06:21 PM. )

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 06:10 PM

I've seen the lines on this computer, on multiple examples of it, and I have to say I have seen nothing remotely similar on any other TFT-screen laptop (of course, you can get all kinds of interesting but unpleasant ugliness by stuffing the wrong refresh rate at a desktop panel). I don't expect things out of Apple that no other computer company can deliver, I simply expect from Apple what everyone else is delivering

If Apple wants a 15-inch Powerbook-sized slice of my money, they can ship me one with a display worthy of a 15-inch Powerbook. The lines are not part of any laptop I have seen before now. Besides being irritating for graphics work (if not for wordprocessing) what do they indicate? A simple firmware problem with a refresh rate? Or a logic board that might go in six months? Or some minor but festering problem to which Apple will pay no attention? I have no idea, and I don't wish to take the chance.

There are other options both within Apple and outside, maybe not ideal in the way the 15-inch book is, but options I can more than live with, and guess what -- they're all cheaper. A pity that I need one soon, but at least settling in this case means also saving money.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 06:34 PM

"I don't see what the big deal is either but apparently mrmister and VisualForces are loosing income it's affecting their professional work so much."

I never claimed that; I simply think they look like ass.

And as for John123: you're already crying about it, over and over--I think we all know how you feel about your defective screen, and how you feel about the "whiners".

It's ridiculous that people like VisualForces should feel like they have to explain why they might not want a screen that has artifacts no other laptop maker has. It's self-evident.

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 07:59 PM

mrmister swoops in to defend his honor on the internet.

"It's ridiculous that people like VisualForces should feel like they have to explain why they might not want a screen that has artifacts no other laptop maker has. It's self-evident."

What's ridiculous is that for some reason, you get so angry when people challenge that opinion instead of just realizing that it's just another opinion and that's okay too.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 09:05 PM

I wouldn't have to do so if these boards weren't constantly filled with Apple apologists who are withering to those who have anything negative to say about their experience.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister
I wouldn't have to do so if these boards weren't constantly filled with Apple apologists who are withering to those who have anything negative to say about their experience.
Who withered? Not I. Seriously, what's with the chip on the shoulder? You have to come up with labels (i.e., "apologists") for someone who disagrees with you? What if it just doesn't bother some of us that much?

It has nothing to do with being an "Apple apologist." I use PCs a greater proportion of my day than I do my Mac, and all my mission-critical work has to be done on PCs. (SQL Server...'nuff said.) It hardly has to do with any sort of zealot-ish brand allegiance.

At the end of the day, I think of it as having my priorities in the right order.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Journalist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 10:43 PM

Who withered? Not I. Seriously, what's with the chip on the shoulder? You have to come up with labels (i.e., "apologists") for someone who disagrees with you? What if it just doesn't bother some of us that much?

It has nothing to do with being an "Apple apologist." I use PCs a greater proportion of my day than I do my Mac, and all my mission-critical work has to be done on PCs. (SQL Server...'nuff said.) It hardly has to do with any sort of zealot-ish brand allegiance.

At the end of the day, I think of it as having my priorities in the right order.

I have to support mrmister on this one. John123 seems more interested in hammering dissatisfaction with vertical screen lines, than discussing the issue.

The Powerbook costs serious cash and you have the right to expect something as perfect as the Apple design aspirations in the screen quality.

These discussions when well-supported must occasionally communicate something to Apple. It's better it receives these messages than quietly experiences customer exodus.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Journalist
I have to support mrmister on this one. John123 seems more interested in hammering dissatisfaction with vertical screen lines, than discussing the issue.

The Powerbook costs serious cash and you have the right to expect something as perfect as the Apple design aspirations in the screen quality.

These discussions when well-supported must occasionally communicate something to Apple. It's better it receives these messages than quietly experiences customer exodus.
Communicate them to Apple? You think Apple cares what people say on the MacNN boards? Um, they locked the threads on THEIR OWN FORUMS pertaining to this issue. Call it careless censorship if you like, but that's pretty much the definition of turning a deaf ear to an issue.

Your grammatically-challenged attempt at an insult aside (no comma belongs before "than"), you've missed my point completely. You don't have the "right" to "expect" anything at all. This is *THEIR* product offering. THEY created it and THEY charge a certain price for it. The only unalienable right that *YOU* have is to choose to purchase it, or not to purchase it. Sorry, but a 28th Amendment to the Constitution declaring your right to a beautiful and portable LCD screen hasn't passed yet.

If it were a real defect -- e.g., if the drives didn't burn dual layer DVDs, or there was a problem addressing X amount of RAM, or the trackpad would randomly stick, or you got strange popping sounds to come out of your speakers, or even if there were large white blotches on your screen -- I'd appreciate your right (yes, this actually IS a right) to complain. But this complaint is esoteric.

I'd say that the problem is a spoiled user base. Too many people too used to being too pampered makes for anything sub-Utopian to be hammered to death. Nothing Apple does is ever good enough. I've read this forum for years, and after every product launch, there are always a ton of people who say it's not enough for them to upgrade, etc. etc. etc. If the screen on the new ones bothers you that much, go look on eBay. You can find great deals on the previous generation.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

VisualForces
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 12:25 AM

Well, mark me down for the guy who hasn't complained since Apple ][C+. I'm a virgin complainer...go easy on me.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 12:41 AM

Seriously, what's with the chip on the shoulder? You have to come up with labels (i.e., "apologists") for someone who disagrees with you?
C'mon, John! You have some (I repeat, some) valide points, but you of all people complaining about labels? You mean like calling anyone with complaints about the 15" screen "whiners?"

iBorg

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by VisualForces
Well, mark me down for the guy who hasn't complained since Apple ][C+. I'm a virgin complainer...go easy on me.
Visual, to be honest...my comments haven't been directed at you at all. I think you've made a valid case for why you care in particular. My beef is with the other bandwagoners whose gripe is more for griping's sake than it is for a true and substantive impact to their work experience.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by iBorg
C'mon, John! You have some (I repeat, some) valide points, but you of all people complaining about labels? You mean like calling anyone with complaints about the 15" screen "whiners?"

iBorg
See post above. Also see reference to various types of problems that I think are bitch-worthy in an earlier post.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 01:27 AM

See post above. Also see reference to various types of problems that I think are bitch-worthy in an earlier post.
Which is subjective, and your judgment of bitch-worthiness is no more valid than anyone else's. If you don't like a "bitching thread," ..... don't click on it!

As I said, you have some valid points, but no one has appointed you the "Grand Pubbah of Complaint Validity," unless I missed the coronation! I'm glad that you're happy with your PBook, but calling others who disagree with you "whiners" and "morons" is not only uncalled for, it makes you look petty.

peace ....

iBorg

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by iBorg
Which is subjective, and your judgment of bitch-worthiness is no more valid than anyone else's. If you don't like a "bitching thread," ..... don't click on it!

As I said, you have some valid points, but no one has appointed you the "Grand Pubbah of Complaint Validity," unless I missed the coronation! I'm glad that you're happy with your PBook, but calling others who disagree with you "whiners" and "morons" is not only uncalled for, it makes you look petty.

peace ....

iBorg
I never called anyone a moron. Not in this thread, anyway. Go to a word search. It would help if you got your facts straight before you tried to lay the smack down.

It's only on page 3 here that I moved from "bitch and moan" to "whine." And that only because this thing is growing like a snowball down hill.

Speaking of no one appointing anyone...who appointed you as the guy to tell me what I should do if I don't like the direction of the thread? If I think people are complaining about something stupid, it's my RIGHT to complain about that. Come to think of it, aren't all opinions subjective?

The complete lack of logical consistency in your post aside, I maintain my original point. You can call that repetitive if you like, or note like mrmister that I've already said so...but this whole thread is repetitive and can be summed up in summed up in 9 words, without all these posts: NEW 15 INCH POWERBOOKS HAVE VERY FAINT HORIZONTAL LINES.

I consider it to be my duty to rebutt the complainants because the lines aren't really an issue. The complainants insist that people who say they don't have the lines just aren't looking hard enough. And that has many a potential buyer concerned. It's blown the issue way out of proportion, and I consider my posts to be a message to prospective buyers: don't worry about the stupid lines. Enjoy a very fine machine that's cheaper and overall provides a great experience.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

OK. I just received (about 1 hour ago)....a new 15" PB. I noticed the line on the menu bar. Same line appears on my old 12" PB (1 Ghz PPC). I'm not sure that the line is a problem. Are we sure its not a feature of the display? Are a deliberate line in the menu display? The line does not appear if the menu bar is gone.

Hmmmm....

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 01:37 PM

The line in the menu bar is part of the MacOs x GUI that is supposed to give the bar a 3D look. Whether or not it achieves that effect, it's definitely not LCD problem. What about the rest of the screen? Can you post pictures?

thanks...

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 05:07 PM

"I consider it to be my duty to rebutt the complainants because the lines aren't really an issue."

The caveat would be, of course: for you it isn't an issue. I don't really understand how you can rebutt other people's complaints--you can't argue them into not having horizontal lines on their screens.

And you consider it your duty because...well, I have no idea why. If potential buyers are concerned, they can go to any Apple Store, of which there are now many, and look at the displays; which they should, as they'll then make an informed decision.

"I consider my posts to be a message to prospective buyers: don't worry about the stupid lines."

If that really is your "message" (and it's odd that as someone without an agenda you have a lot of "duties" and "messages") then why not stop prosetylizing and tell them to look at the damn displays before they buy them, so they will know what they are getting? If the display issue is so minor, I'm sure many won't care...and those that do, won't buy.

Journalist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 09:11 PM

"I consider it to be my duty to rebutt the complainants because the lines aren't really an issue."

The caveat would be, of course: for you it isn't an issue. I don't really understand how you can rebutt other people's complaints--you can't argue them into not having horizontal lines on their screens.

And you consider it your duty because...well, I have no idea why. If potential buyers are concerned, they can go to any Apple Store, of which there are now many, and look at the displays; which they should, as they'll then make an informed decision.

"I consider my posts to be a message to prospective buyers: don't worry about the stupid lines."

If that really is your "message" (and it's odd that as someone without an agenda you have a lot of "duties" and "messages") then why not stop prosetylizing and tell them to look at the damn displays before they buy them, so they will know what they are getting? If the display issue is so minor, I'm sure many won't care...and those that do, won't buy.

I have to agree.

Would it be crazy to suggest these discussion boards sometimes contain ulterior motives? For example, say a product manufacturer decided to 'intercept' or manipulate discussion of a product flaw in these fora, might they engage in this kind of activity? I don't know. Do such goings-on exist?

Back to the discussion: I would like to buy a new Powerbook 15", but I don't want vertical lines in the display. Has anyone established whether the lines occur across all new 15" models, or is it a batch issue?

I look forward to any response that doesn't attack my grammar or desire for a vertical line-free screen.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 09:33 PM

LOL -- and now I'm a covert Apple spy? Is that what you're implying? That's funny.

I rebutt the importance of the complaints to send a signal to possible buyers that others (A) can see the lines (so they exist) and (B) do not find them to be problematic.

Not all buyers are in the immediate proximity of an Apple Store. Many will order a laptop sight unseen from an online e-tailer. This just happens to be the first PowerBook I've owned that I saw before I ordered it, and I've owned every model of PowerBook G4 except the first generation titanium and the first two generations of aluminums.

If you have the right to whine, I have the right prosetylize. Preach. Profess. Pontificate. Pick your p-verb of choice...that's my the privilege of free speech.

The funny thing, mrmister, is that if you hadn't started this by labeling other users in this thread as "apologists," I doubt I ever would have engaged this heavily in the first place.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 09:35 PM

I have to agree.

Would it be crazy to suggest these discussion boards sometimes contain ulterior motives? For example, say a product manufacturer decided to 'intercept' or manipulate discussion of a product flaw in these fora, might they engage in this kind of activity? I don't know. Do such goings-on exist?

Back to the discussion: I would like to buy a new Powerbook 15", but I don't want vertical lines in the display. Has anyone established whether the lines occur across all new 15" models, or is it a batch issue?

I look forward to any response that doesn't attack my grammar or desire for a vertical line-free screen.
Fortunately for you, there are NO vertical lines in any of the current PowerBook G4 15" screens. Nada. So if that's your primary concern, you can place your order and feel very confident that you'll get a display without any vertical lines!!!
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 10:01 PM

bahahahahahahahahaha

That was good.

Why on EARTH would you want a vertical line free LCD screen? Why even try to remove every obstacle that would inhibit your ability to enjoy your incredibly sexy new PowerBook?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!

Also, line-free. You f**king idiot. You're stupid. It should, in fact, be vertical-line free. Because of this error, I will promptly dismiss any and all other logical points you made in your post. Please feel free to attack any typos in my post, which I will promptly correct after you point them out so that I may make you look stupid to no one else except me.

God, I love these forums.

(For the humor impaired, the previous was a sarcastic joke )
( Last edited by brokenjago; Nov 9, 2005 at 10:12 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

Journalist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
bahahahahahahahahaha

That was good.

Why on EARTH would you want a vertical line free LCD screen? Why even try to remove every obstacle that would inhibit your ability to enjoy your incredibly sexy new PowerBook?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!

Also, line-free. You f**king idiot. You're stupid. It should, in fact, be vertical-line free. Because of this error, I will promptly dismiss any and all other logical points you made in your post. Please feel free to attack any typos in my post, which I will promptly correct after you point them out so that I may make you look stupid to no one else except me.

God, I love these forums.

(For the humor impaired, the previous was a sarcastic joke )
Okay fair enough I made a mistake. The lines appear horizontally, rather than vertically and my hyphen's in the wrong place, but I have yet to get a response to the question. Do the lines appear on every new Powerbook 15" or is it a batch issue? I seem to get more feeback on grammar in this discussion than anything else.

Also the fact that you "promptly dismiss any and all other logical points" I made in my post suggests you believed them logical until that point. It supports my growing belief that your post attempts to discredit a valid concern. I challenge you to indicate otherwise.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 11:19 PM

Okay fair enough I made a mistake. The lines appear horizontally, rather than vertically and my hyphen's in the wrong place, but I have yet to get a response to the question. Do the lines appear on every new Powerbook 15" or is it a batch issue? I seem to get more feeback on grammar in this discussion than anything else.

Also the fact that you "promptly dismiss any and all other logical points" I made in my post suggests you believed them logical until that point. It supports my growing belief that your post attempts to discredit a valid concern. I challenge you to indicate otherwise.
What logical point did you suggest? The conspiracy theory? You want me to prove what -- that I am not an Apple employee?

Proof's in the pudding. Search for the archives back to 2001. You'll find plenty of comments critical of Apple, asking questions about hardware and software problems, even criticizing the transition from OS 9 to OS X because of the performance penalty in non-multitasking environments.

Me an Apple snitch? Not bloody likely. The fact that you continue to insist that just goes to proof my point about what a warped world view the people obsessed about the lines have...

Edit: OK, now I see you were addressing that at the other guy. But seriously -- you wanted him to address the Apple conspiracy theory?
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules