Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook battery and charging problem

ibook battery and charging problem
broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 12:29 PM

This just happened to me, and very suddenly went from a 3.5-4 hour battery to just over an hour. Literally overnight. Now it won't charge fully, and the adaptor goes green at just over 70%. Additionally, it doesn't go to sleep anymore, or give mea warning when the battery '...has 2 min reserve power remaining'. Just shuts off. It does charge down all the way now, and I wathc the percentage carefully. Any ideas?? I searched here and on the Apple discussions, but no one is stepping up with an answer.

From the Apple discussions

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 02:30 PM

Bump

Well, here I am sitting at 1592 mAh, with the full capacity at 2190 mAh, and the adaptor is green. Battery is 72%. This retarded! This happened overnight. I refuse to believe this is normal, and I know a new battery would fix me up, I just want to know what hapened and if there is any way I can get it to charge to 100% of the paltry 2190 mAh capacity that I have left.

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 02:33 PM

How old is the battery? They do tend to "go" pretty quickly and suffer a vastly reduced performance almost overnight once they are past a certain age.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 03:14 PM

It's a 1.2 ibook, and it is about a year and a half. Is this too fast?

Lightstar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 04:27 PM

Is it a 14 in 1.2 ghz iBook? Because this has just happened to me too. Within the last month or so, I went from normal battery life, to maybe 2 hours, then maybe 1 hour, then 30 minutes, and now pretty much nothing. I'm planning on going and getting a new battery today or later this week.

I got my iBook in August 2004. So it's been about 2 years.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 06:14 PM

12" ibook. I bought it in late November 2004.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2006, 07:22 AM

I hope this doesn't rear its ugly head on my former iBook. Have you tried resetting the PMU? And did you get your battery exchanged in the program? Could these batteries be defective?

cms
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by broxy5
12" ibook. I bought it in late November 2004.
Every rechargeable battery has a finite number of charging cycles, and you can expect performance to degrade over time. My old Powerbook battery was only capable of achieving 60% of its original capacity after 2 years of pretty much recharging it every day. I thought this was acceptable, given that it had given me stellar service over the 24 months, so I bought a new battery. You might try recalibrating the battery if you have not already done so -- this should "remind" your computer when the battery is actually full. If that doesn't improve things, then your only solution is a new battery.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2006, 11:49 AM

Everything points to just buying a new battery. I did the PMU reset, and cycled the battery numerous (at which point the computer shuts down instead of going to sleep, the on restart, the clock warning). It's dead. Another funny thing is it's not charging to 70% of it's previous capacity, it's charging to 70% of it's current full charge capacity, which is half of what it used to be.

Full capacity: 2190 mAh
Max it will charge to: 1592 mAh

It reaches a max of 77% of current full capacity and that's it!

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 06:28 PM

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 12:28 AM

Battery recalled!!! Yes-ah!!!! New one is on the way. Good timing. Too broke to buy a new one, or I would have bought one last week.

tapeIt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 12:51 AM

i am so jealous.
my ibook battery doesnt hold more than 30min anymore either.
unfortunately, i have a 14in ibook, so i cant get a free battery.
darnit.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 08:40 AM

broxy5, did you get your battery replaced in the last recall too?

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 02:30 PM

Yes. But the serial number fits for this round as well. Just got my confirmation from Apple.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 06:47 AM

Are the claims of NewerTech true about up to 50% more battery life for the iBooks?

Forum Links
Forum Rules