Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Voiceprint Requirements

Voiceprint Requirements
Eddie
Oct 23, 1999, 04:00 AM

i'm on a performa 6320 (120mhz 603e) and i was wondering if anyone knew if voiceprint will work on my system, considering its sound input quality is not very good to say the least.

8.6 runs ok on it, wonder if 9 would be too much for it to cope with...

Cheers.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 1999, 05:03 PM

Mac OS 9 shoudl work on your machine. The voice print should work on your machine as long as you have a microphone. I would also say make sure you have enough RAM. I would say 96 or more if possible
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

scott
Oct 23, 1999, 06:59 PM

I believe the sound equipment in any PowerPC-based Macintosh should be sufficient (can't speak for clones).

For voiceprint to work, you need a PlainTalk microphone, which may have come with your Performa. Other high-quality microphones may work, but I can't guarantee it.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

Eddie
Oct 24, 1999, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info, I don't have a mic at the minute, which brings up another problem - which ones will work on my system? I've tried the mic from older systems, such as LCII, but they didn't work, i've also tried a standard PC mic, a normal voice mic but none of these works - i know my sound input socket works because it will record from any minijack source. The sound input quality is 22.050 khz.

Also currently i use RAM doubler to push my 40mb of real RAM upto 80mb, i know RAM doubler wont work with OS 9, so would VM be ok?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 1999, 06:33 AM

Eddie... VM will work on your Mac (bloody well should anyway to some degree) but hey buddy we are talkin 120MHz here, right?

my point: you lay VM responsibility on top of a slow CPU and you have bad recognition voice-wise.

i would bet my hand-made power amp on it.

and even without VM on, your poor old CPU ain't up to the task with any real consistency in performance/result, it is my regretful opinion.

do what you must, but consider a new Mac as there is no CPU upgrade path for that Mac that I know of...

Eddie
Oct 24, 1999, 08:09 AM

Yeah I was thinking about an iMac DV or Special Edition, i was just wondering if it was theoretically Possible to Have Voiceprint working on 22.050 khz rather than 44, and bit rates, etc...

BobbyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 07:40 PM

You don't get to choose the audio particulars of your voice print. But the "wizard" that takes your voiceprint samples will prompt you if your sample has insuffient level, is cut off too soon, etc.

Although the utility verified that I had successfully recorded a voiceprint sample (and checked it right after), any subsequent attempts to actually use it (on my Wall St.) to log in failed, requiring a typed-in p'word.

Pmconaway
Oct 25, 1999, 08:56 AM

I'm currently running a PowerMac 6500/250. I installed OS9 this weekend and proceeded to try the voice print reconition. After about 10 trys to record my voice print, I finally got all 4 versions recorded. I promptly tested the voice print and it accepted me. I then went to log on to the system. And out of 10 times trying to login, I've only gotten accepted once, all other times I had to type my password in. I'm using the plaintalk microphone that came with the 6500/250. Most of the time when I was recorded my voice it told me I was too loud. Is there anyway to reduce the level of the microphone. Also based on my experience, my guess is that this might work better on a G3/G4 system. I know I'm pushing the limits of my 6500/250(603ev) system.

Rocke Woelk
Oct 26, 1999, 01:21 PM

Same problem on the loudness issue using a my plaintalk microphone on my 603ev, 6400 180 with 88 Mb of true ram. Anyone have any ideas?

rdarden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 1999, 01:35 PM

About the sampling rate: I expect that the voice verification recordings are done at a sampling rate lower than 44.1kHz. When it comes to voice, most of the information is at low frequencies - the phone system takes this into account and that's why our modem speeds are limited. If the recordings _are_ done at 44.1kHz, they are probably filtered and downsampled before the real analysis is done, so a lower initial sampling won't speed things up.

Hope this helps

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 26, 1999, 01:35 PM

I've had the loudness problem. I just started talking quiter and it helped.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules