Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ordered out of time :(

Ordered out of time :(
fitmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2007, 12:32 PM

Hi everybody!

Last Friday I bought my MacBook Pro 15". Now, I was surfing in apple.es (I'm from Spain), and what a **** when I see "Macbook Pro 15" with Core 2 Duo at 2,4 GHz and with Hard Drive of 160 at 5400rpm". Whats the problem!?!? Yeah! The problem is that last Friday I bought a Macbook Pro 15" with Core 2 Duo at 2,33GHz and with Hard Drive of 120Gb at 5400rpm !!!

Oh! and one more thing! The video card included with my MacBook Pro is ATI x1600 and now the video card is GeForce 8600 M GT (NVIDIA) BOTH ARE OF 256Mb.

What do you think about? Yeah, I'm sure my bought was great, but...in couple days they have changed my computer!!

Tomorrow I'm gonna call to apple.

fitmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2007, 12:41 PM

Oh! It's incredible. When I have just finished writing this thread Apple has sent me an e-mail telling that a new MacBook Pro is available and they are gonna substitute for the one I ordered last Friday for the new one.

Problem Solved!

Thanks Apple!

I have a question, please, if anyone of you can answer: Do you think is better to configure my MBP with the HD of 160gb at 7.200rpm? THe one that they have put in my order that is the substitute of the "old" one has 160gb at 5400rpm. What do u think?
( Last edited by fitmac; Jun 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM. )

tavin64
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 12:56 PM

Honestly I would stick with the 5400rpm one. Nowadays 5400 rpm laptop drives are just as fast as 7200rpm under normal usage. Plus 7200rpm will have greater vibration on the laptop than 7200rpm ones.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tavin64 View Post
Honestly I would stick with the 5400rpm one. Nowadays 5400 rpm laptop drives are just as fast as 7200rpm under normal usage. Plus 7200rpm will have greater vibration on the laptop than 7200rpm ones.
5400RPM drives are still slower than 7200RPM drives; you can't overcome physics. Benchmarks here.
And neither has significant vibrations.
( Last edited by mduell; Jun 5, 2007 at 01:49 PM. )

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2007, 01:56 AM

Nice, you got lucky. I once benefited from that as well. When they used to have the 22" and 23" HD Cinema Displays (ADC), I could only afford a 22" (which was like $2,000). But when I ordered they were about to announce the discontinuation of the 22" and drop prices, so they automatically sent me the HD display instead, which at the time I ordered would have been $3,500. I felt like I had won the lottery. It's still a beautiful screen, even if I do have it currently hooked up to a PC.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 07:26 AM

Ha! The same thing happened to me when I bought a 12in Powerbook (after my desktop broke!). I was so super happy!

Sadly my room mate ordered maybe 5 days before me on a 15in powerbook, and he got the older model. Though he did get some money back!

Forum Links
Forum Rules