Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shining screens

Shining screens
jpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 06:03 AM

Hello,

Is it worth getting the shining screens on the MacBook Pro? The option is free but are the reflexions a problem???

Thanks for your feedback.

JP
jp

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Hello,

Is it worth getting the shining screens on the MacBook Pro? The option is free but are the reflexions a problem???

Thanks for your feedback.

JP
Glossy screens mean brighter color and sharper lines/text, but you sacrifice the matte (read: non-reflective) quality of regular LCDs.

I *personally* would never get the glossy display. It reflects light - and your face - terribly, and you have be in just right conditions for it to have good visibility.

Go to the Apple Store and try both out. Or, go to any major electronics store (Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City, etc.), and compare the glossy with the non-glossy. Only you can decide what's best for you.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

jpa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your input, I'll do just what you propose, and most likely I'll avoid these glossy screens!!!
Take care
jp

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Glossy screens mean brighter color and sharper lines/text, but you sacrifice the matte (read: non-reflective) quality of regular LCDs.

I *personally* would never get the glossy display. It reflects light - and your face - terribly, and you have be in just right conditions for it to have good visibility.

Go to the Apple Store and try both out. Or, go to any major electronics store (Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City, etc.), and compare the glossy with the non-glossy. Only you can decide what's best for you.
I really doubt that the different reflective properties of the glossy screen are a problem. I'm a matte screen user (and I prefer matte) but everyone I've personally spoken to with a glossy screen has been satisfied.

jpa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 09:50 AM

I'm also using mat screens and I'm not inclined to used the gloosy ones, which I've heard from several people are quite inconvenient.
JP
jp

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 10:46 AM

I own both matte and glossy MB(P)s.

While I understand most of it is just the way you use it and your personal preference I'm surprised how many matte owners bash glossy screens. OTOH I have yet to meet a single glossy owner who regrets his decision. IMHO in this discussion it's often more about religion than actual facts. As already mentioned by others, go to a store and try 'em out yourself. Chose whatever suits you best.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 12:28 PM

I thought my glossy would be a problem, but the only reason it annoys me is when I have direct light, such as really bright windows, right behind me. Then it reflects a bit. Even then, though, it isn't that bad. I can't even really tell it's glossy most of the time.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 02:20 PM

I've owned a MacBook (glossy) and now a MacBook Pro (Matte) and I also concur with Simon, most people who have bashed the glossy screen have not owned or used one.

I've found the reflection not to be bad at all in a lot of different lighting conditions, still it was not my cup a tea. That is I prefer the matte screen. One is not inferior to the other its what you prefer and that being the case check both out and see which one fits your needs the best.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Aug 6, 2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling)

Rumor
Aug 6, 2007, 02:55 PM

I checked out both in the Apple store before I bought my MBP. The color saturation was nice on the glossy but the glare was pretty harsh, almost like looking in a mirror. Though, the Apple store is pretty lit up. I decided on the matte screen, as I often use my MBP in conditions with a lot of ambient light.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 04:45 PM

I'd been spending a lot of time on these forums before I got my MBP, and because of all the glossy-bashing I was positive I was going to go with a matte screen (besides, my old computer was matte, so I was "used" to it...as if there's a learning curve to a glossy screen). But the day I walked into an Apple store and saw the matte and glossy sitting side by side, I knew there was no way I was leaving without the glossy version. This is the prettiest display I've ever owned. I have hardly any problem with reflectivity and whatever small reflection I do see doesn't inhibit my viewing experience and is completely worth it, IMHO, for the deep, rich colors you get.

Do what I did: in the Apple store, open up the same picture in iPhoto on both the matte and glossy MBPs. There's no comparison.

Forum Links
Forum Rules