Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Multibay NAS

Multibay NAS
mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 AM

Not sure if this belongs in Consumer Hardware & Components or Networks... I'm going to stick it in the former since my questions relate to the actual hardware rather than the network setup.

It's time to get away from my increasingly inconvenient internal/external DAS setup and buy a 4-5 bay NAS enclosure. I've narrowed it down to seven products from four brands, and I'm looking for positive and negative experiences.

The seven products (links for six of them here) are:
NETGEAR RND4000
QNAP TS-409
Synology CS407
Synology CS407e
Synology DS508
Thecus N4100
Thecus N5200B

The 4 or 5 bay decision is going to come down to availability (some manufacturers only do 4 bay) and price (the 5 bays are quite pricey), but that's a decision to be made after I pick a brand/product line.

My concerns reliability and stability. Anyone used any of these?
( Last edited by mduell; Jun 30, 2008 at 02:49 AM. )

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 04:17 PM

I can only put my vote for the Netgear RND4000, though I've not used that personally myself. I've only tried the ReadyNAS V+ and older series and those have performed like a champ. The RND4000 should have an updated firmware (which hopefully addresses some of the AFP/web admin bugs some people encountered in the past).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 10:18 PM

I've got a Synology CS406, the non-e models are worth the extra $. A little judicious forum trolling before applying the firmware updates and I haven't had any problems since they fixed a wake from sleep problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules