Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you like HTC?

View Poll Results: Do you like HTC?
Poll Options:
Yes 10 votes (62.50%)
No 6 votes (37.50%)
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll
Do you like HTC?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2010, 11:48 PM

( )
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2010, 11:49 PM

I hope Apple runs them out of business. I am all for innovation, but seems like they blatantly copy a lot of Apple's ideas.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 10, 2010, 10:08 AM

Yeah, Apple should sue them or something.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2010, 10:10 AM

Public poll fail.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
I hope Apple runs them out of business. I am all for innovation, but seems like they blatantly copy a lot of Apple's ideas.
Really? I think that they excel in areas that Apple doesn't even pay attention to. Such as multitasking.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 10:40 AM

I have a Touch Diamond and I really like it.

I'd like an iPhone, too, but can't afford the data plan.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 10, 2010, 10:41 AM

Well I think they're fantastic.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 10:43 AM

That's cheating.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Really? I think that they excel in areas that Apple doesn't even pay attention to. Such as multitasking.
Uh, no... HTC is a hardware manufacturer. The implementation of multitasking is up to the OS developer, in this case Google (for Android) or Microsoft (for Windows Mobile).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 11:51 AM

Yes, I like HTC's phones. The only hardware I'd place above theirs is the obvious choice.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Uh, no... HTC is a hardware manufacturer. The implementation of multitasking is up to the OS developer, in this case Google (for Android) or Microsoft (for Windows Mobile).
Uh, no. HTC does software too. Sense UI?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 12:30 PM

Uh, no. HTC does software too. Sense UI?
Sense UI is just a theme on top of Android. So yes, technically HTC does delve a little bit into software, but not in any meaningful way.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 01:13 PM

They make some quality copies of other peoples stuff! Better than the usual China crap.

But no I don't like them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 01:53 PM

Sense UI is just a theme on top of Android. So yes, technically HTC does delve a little bit into software, but not in any meaningful way.
Don't worry, it's just the swine flu talking.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 01:54 PM

And Windows 6.5. While it is certainly a skin, I think it goes a bit deeper than that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 06:54 PM

Poor HTC. Launching a Phone with a dead OS and no upgrades in sight. Got screwed by the company they licence the OS from i.e. MS.

HTC HD2 said to be launching March 24th for $199, no Windows Phone 7 support -- Engadget

Hardware is nice minus that OS and face buttons.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 02:14 AM

If this thread is really about the Apple-HTC patent dispute, I guess I come down on the side of Apple. Lots of Mac bloggers are condemning Apple's moves here, but really Apple's innovations are worth a lot of money.

I posted this elsewhere, so I'll just paste it here too: Apple patented the using of sensors to notice that the phone was being held up to the ear, then turning the display off and saving power. Clever. Obvious? It can't be obvious, since Apple is the first to do it after years of phones with displays by many other companies. Yet this innovation is certainly worth millions given the energy saving involved and user hassles eliminated.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I posted this elsewhere, so I'll just paste it here too: Apple patented the using of sensors to notice that the phone was being held up to the ear, then turning the display off and saving power. Clever. Obvious? It can't be obvious, since Apple is the first to do it after years of phones with displays by many other companies. Yet this innovation is certainly worth millions given the energy saving involved and user hassles eliminated.
That's interesting - my LG Chocolate Touch does that. The phone is also a great example of why resistive touch screens should die.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's interesting - my LG Chocolate Touch does that. The phone is also a great example of why resistive touch screens should die.
My enV touch does it as well. My biggest issue with the suit is that it seems wrong to go after HTC when they weren't the first to break many of these patents. For example, my enV touch was released last summer with the sensor. HTC's first phone with a proximity sensor was released in November. If you as me, if this was simply about the patents, Apple should have sued companies like Samsung and LG quite a while ago.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 01:14 PM

And Windows 6.5. While it is certainly a skin, I think it goes a bit deeper than that.
True. Though even still it's extremely unlikely that HTC would be responsible for infringing on any of Apple's software patents. Any software stuff likely would be Google's fault, while HTC would be responsible for hardware infringements.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2010, 02:51 PM

This poll is missing the "don't give a shit" and "don't care about HTC, but any serious competition that lights a fire under Apple's ass is a Good Thing™ for us customers" options.

Fail.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 02:55 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Look who made it, however.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 03:11 PM

True. Though even still it's extremely unlikely that HTC would be responsible for infringing on any of Apple's software patents. Any software stuff likely would be Google's fault, while HTC would be responsible for hardware infringements.
I'm pretty sure HTC's own skins that they slap on Android and Windows phones step on apples IP. Multitouch is a big no no.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I'm pretty sure HTC's own skins that they slap on Android and Windows phones step on apples IP. Multitouch is a big no no.
Multitouch is a core Android OS technology though.

Some of these things are really hard to define. For example, take the patent that Apple was awarded for sliding a graphic to unlock. That's something that all Android OS devices have, but companies like HTC change the fonts around a bit. So can they be at fault for it? Or is Google at fault?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 03:58 PM

Multitouch is a core Android OS technology though.
You mean a core Android technology that they copied from apple like everyone else and were so scared of getting sued they just added the feature recently.

Right.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 04:00 PM

I'm just saying. It's not a skin. The framework is already there, they just pull it out in different places. That's why I don't think Apple can hold HTC accountable, at least 100%.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 05:50 PM

My enV touch does it as well. My biggest issue with the suit is that it seems wrong to go after HTC when they weren't the first to break many of these patents. For example, my enV touch was released last summer with the sensor. HTC's first phone with a proximity sensor was released in November. If you as me, if this was simply about the patents, Apple should have sued companies like Samsung and LG quite a while ago.
Unlike trademarks, patents don't require active pursuit of all offenders. Apple is going after HTC because they are a real threat, but Palm and other smaller players are being ignored.
Multitouch is a big no no.
Multitouch is not really what the suit against HTC is about.
For instance, the pinch-to-zoom gesture is not a part of this lawsuit. The clever "rubber band effect" is mentioned, however.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 05:57 PM

Unlike trademarks, patents don't require active pursuit of all offenders. Apple is going after HTC because they are a real threat, but Palm and other smaller players are being ignored.
Um no that's not why. They are going after HTC because HTC has very little or no IP to counter sue apple with. Why do you think they are not suing Motorola for Android or MS for parts of windows 7 and Zune? They would get sued back big time.

They are also going for the smallest market to set an example for other companies that want to use Android Google. They are also trying to scare Google's partners so they will avoid android or at least make Google change the disputed patents.

They don't even need to bother with Palm because they have 2% of the market and will probably be gone in a year anyway.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 06:12 PM

I think you're wrong. The Nexus One is the only serious threat, so that's why they're going after HTC for that and its other Android phones.

I'm pretty sure MS and Apple still have patent cross-licensing in computers.

I don't think Apple believes the Motorola Droid is much of a threat.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 07:15 PM

Um no that's not why. They are going after HTC because HTC has very little or no IP to counter sue apple with. Why do you think they are not suing Motorola for Android or MS for parts of windows 7 and Zune? They would get sued back big time.

They are also going for the smallest market to set an example for other companies that want to use Android Google. They are also trying to scare Google's partners so they will avoid android or at least make Google change the disputed patents.

They don't even need to bother with Palm because they have 2% of the market and will probably be gone in a year anyway.
Your terminology is kind of weird...

If what you are describing is true (and I feel that it probably has some truth to it), then Apple is basically trying to upset the big daddy (Google) by scaring off all the smaller players. I like Apple, but this is pretty dirty if you ask me. My main point is that I think Apple is suing HTC for something that they really aren't responsible for. You can't deny that Apple does indeed own those patents. But I think it's a little unfair that Apple's singled out one company that really hasn't been at the forefront of using Apple's patented technology.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 PM

I think you're wrong. The Nexus One is the only serious threat, so that's why they're going after HTC for that and its other Android phones.

I don't think Apple believes the Motorola Droid is much of a threat.
Where in the word are you coming up with that? The Droid sold 10x more than the Nexus and all HTC Androids put together.

Why would apple see the smallest player as the biggest threat?

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 06:08 PM

Fact is while HTC may be smaller than Motorola, HTC is doing a better job than Motorola. Even if more people bought the Droid, the Droid doesn't really look much like an iPhone, on the other hand the Nexus one looks like a pretty clear iPhone knock off. Apple can leave Motorola on their own because they will probably never again be a real competitor in the phone space, HTC however has some talent and could become a threat some day. Not to mention HTC is easy pickings. Going after Motorola could end up with Apple in some major patent issues... besides they're already going after Nokia who's probably scarier!

As to whether or not I like HTC? I'd probably consider one of their phones if I couldn't get an iPhone, I don't mind selling them. Though a while ago we had a software patch that required Windows and would not work regardless of what I tried that pissed off a lot of customers. Right now if I was gonna sell someone on an Android phone that rogers carries I'd go with the Samsung Galaxy Spica.

Forum Links
Forum Rules