Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP: Locked Hard Drive?

HELP: Locked Hard Drive?
私
Mar 11, 2003, 03:57 PM

I've got a Mac running 8.6 on which one of the hard drive partitions (the main one) seems to be locked. The lock icon appears in the upper-left of Finder windows, and the data on the drive is completely inaccessable. When I boot up off a different partition or cd, the volume remains locked except a couple apps (such as Opera) will still launch even though nothing else will.

The drive is not mounted write-protected or locked by any other method that I am familiar with. Has anyone run into anything similar to this, and/or have any ideas of what I could try doing to fix it? This is somewhat important, so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

私  (op)
Mar 11, 2003, 05:01 PM

Could this maybe be something that was done through OpenFirmware?

--私

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 11:06 PM

Boot up off the MacOS CD then open Drive Setup on the CD and select the locked hard drive then go Functions and then go into customize volume, there should be a lock option in there. I use to lock hard drives this way for the Highschool I use to work at.

If that dosent work your disk might be corrupted.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules