Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0 Problems on G3 accelerated nubus PowerMacs

OS 9.0 Problems on G3 accelerated nubus PowerMacs
Flurk
Oct 24, 1999, 05:51 AM

I tried OS 9.0 on two PowerMacs 8100.
The first one is a 8100/100 with Sonnet G3 266/1 and 4 MB VRAM Sonata Graphics card.
Performance is slower than with OS 8.6
CPU -5% and Graphics Mix -10 %. When the Network Assistant Startup extension is loaded the graphics become unacceptable slow -33%!!
(MacBench 3.0)
One positive thing that I have to mention: the system is more stable than 8.6. I once had an error type 11 but I didn't need to restart.

On my second computer, a 8100/80 with Sonnet Crescendo 220/0,5 the computer often crashes at startup. Here I don't use a Nubus graphics card but the videocaddy from Sonnet connected to the original HPV-4MB-PDS Graphics card.
When the Crescendo extension (1.3.7) loads before all others I always have a crash. There are compatibility problems with other extension from Apple. When I only use a minimal set of extensions the computer boots correctly. But also here performance is slower than with OS 8.6. Graphics speed is here always -33% compared with 8.6!
I got random crashes using MacBench, Norton System Info, the Metronome Utility.

I hope that Sonnet can fix the problems quickly. And that they find a way in the future to speed up the graphics.

Greetings from Belgium

Forum Links
Forum Rules