Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's with the PowerMac 2x2.7 GHz shipping time?

What's with the PowerMac 2x2.7 GHz shipping time?
Tutman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 05:39 PM

The online Apple Store right now says "2-3 weeks", and here in Sweden it's even "3-4 weeks". Has it been like that for long?

I was almost about to order, but can't wait that long...
( Last edited by Tutman; Aug 3, 2005 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Fixing English syntax - I'm a poor foreigner)

1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 10:46 AM

It's been like that since a couple of days ..

phantomac
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 12:21 PM

Sometimes Apple can't get enough CPUs from IBM for these machines. It's been like that a couple of times in the recent past.

Tutman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 08:26 PM

OK, thanks for your input. I haven't monitored this model that closely, so I didn't know if this was a reason to wait or quickly find a dealer with some in stock. I'd like to BTO though, so I'd prefer Apple Store on this one...

crooner
Senior User
Aug 6, 2005, 09:17 PM

Just checked the Apple Store and the 2-3 weeks wait time for the 2.7 G5 has changed to the (sometimes) all telling 7-10 days!

The other models still say same business day, but they don't use the grape juice cooling system, so methinks a teeny weeny speed bump may be in order.

Let’s all keep an eye out for hints on the Mac web as I, for one, don’t wish to have the last 2.7 out the door before the 3.x models ship.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 09:54 AM

TNX Crooner,
The European stores still list 3-4 weeks on the grape-juice-cooled G5's .

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Let’s all keep an eye out for hints on the Mac web as I, for one, don’t wish to have the last 2.7 out the door before the 3.x models ship.
there a no chips > 2.7GHz on any IBM roadmap. the 970MP was just released (at 2.5GHz). if anything there might be an announcement about that. a dual 3.0GHz PM is *very* unlikely IMHO.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 04:17 PM

I'm telling you, sometimes grapes are just out of season.

The MP chips topped out for now at 2.5. They said (in the presentation) "watch for more updates".
So down the line we will see faster speeds. And I bet we'll see at least 3.x speeds in the next
update unless something really bad has happened.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
And I bet we'll see at least 3.x speeds in the next
update unless something really bad has happened.
that'll be something really hard to accomplish for IBM and seems very unlikely. let's all hope your bet comes true

crooner
Senior User
Aug 9, 2005, 07:18 AM

All I can say is they better NOT come out with any 3Ghz chips now because my 2.7 shipped from Apple today!

If all goes well, I’ll have it tomorrow or the next day, depending on how well FedEx has its act together. Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy.

If all goes well, I'll be able to grab a 30" Apple Cinema Display in a month or so. That'll be sweet.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 09:48 AM

now where is that envy-smily when you need it!

crooner
Senior User
Aug 9, 2005, 07:25 PM

The Eagle Has Landed!
Just arrived a little while ago. The box is HUGE!

I’m currently backing up stuff on my QuickSilver and then I shall begin what I imagine will be anywhere from a 24-48 hour straight, no sleep set-up of the G5!

Here's what I BTO'd as well as a little preview of the goodies I have waiting to go into it:
Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
1GB MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X512
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
16x SD DL(DVD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon X850 XT w/256MB
56k V.92 Internal Modem
Bluetooth Module

I have 2 more GB's of RAM from Crucial to add.

I'll yank the 250GB drive and install two 300GB Seagate SATA drives. The 250 will go into...
FirmTek 4 port external SATA card and two, dual bay, hotswap enclosures.
My current display set-up is a 22" Apple Cinema Display flanked by two SGI 1600SW's
The 850 XT has an ADC port (YES!) as well as a DVI so I'll connect one of two MultiLink adapters for the one SGI and a Radeon 9200 PCI card and second MultiLink adapter for the other SGI.

As I was once a major SCSI snob, I have an ATTO UL3D card that runs a SCSI RAID box with four 15K 18GB Seagate Cheetahs. Problem is, the UL3D will seriously slow down the second PCI bus and has also been seriously flaking out lately, so I'm sending it in for a look-see. I'm hoping ATTO will let me upgrade to a UL4D, which will fill out the PCI slots (why, oh, why only three, Apple?). The SCSI stuff is still a bit of a pain in the arse and woefully unsupported in Mac OS X, but I have the gear so I might as well use it. Plus, It still FLIES.

Wish me luck and thanks or the support, gang! I'll post updates.

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by crooner

As I was once a major SCSI snob, I have an ATTO UL3D card that runs a SCSI RAID box with four 15K 18GB Seagate Cheetahs. Problem is, the UL3D will seriously slow down the second PCI bus and has also been seriously flaking out lately, so I'm sending it in for a look-see. I'm hoping ATTO will let me upgrade to a UL4D, which will fill out the PCI slots (why, oh, why only three, Apple?). The SCSI stuff is still a bit of a pain in the arse and woefully unsupported in Mac OS X, but I have the gear so I might as well use it. Plus, It still FLIES.

Wish me luck and thanks or the support, gang! I'll post updates.
Congratulations and good luck.

But maybe it's time to cut your losses and leave SCSI behind??
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

Tutman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 03:46 PM

Well, I joined crooner and took the plunge today. Made an order this morning and got a September 1:st shipping estimate with a few BTO selections. And that's in Sweden, where the Online Apple Store just has changed it's "3-4 weeks" message to the same "2-3 weeks" currently stated in the US.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:31 AM

Just got my dual 2.7 in and I'm SOOO happy!!!! Where's that 'what can I do with all this speed' thread?!?! hehe
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

G5man
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 12:59 AM

hey Mike congrats and please post pictures I like powermac setups anyhow what you can do with all the speed open 6 safari windows tons of messanger advanced apps like photoshop use expose it will go like lightning better than G4

crooner
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Al G
Congratulations and good luck.

But maybe it's time to cut your losses and leave SCSI behind??

I'm starting to think that way. What with the four extra SATA drives externally plus a few FireWire drives *and* the third display I can see an ever so slight in performance hit from all the overhead.

Don’t get me wrong... this thing rocks! I just worry that adding another bus hungry card like a SCSI board may be taxing things more than I need to.

I'll submit some pix to the picture thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules