Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pros/Cons on partitions?

Pros/Cons on partitions?
Goran K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2001, 05:29 AM

Hi

I'm about to format my internal 6G-disk.

Whats the pros/cons making more than one partition?
G3MiniTower/266, 192M/6=G
OS 9.1/8.6

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2001, 12:32 PM

For a 6Gb, I would suggest keeping it as a single partition or max 2 partitions. Ultimately, it depends on what you want those partitions to do. Here's a thread that had some discussions on partitioning.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: blot ]

Cipher13
Sep 7, 2001, 04:35 AM

The only con for me is that multiple-desktop folders gets annoying when it comes time to format a drive

Blot... could you kill the animation in the signature?

Goran K  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>The only con for me is that multiple-desktop folders gets annoying when it comes time to format a drive

Blot... could you kill the animation in the signature?</STRONG>
Since we're getting off-topic here, Cipher13:
Try the settings in your browser (disable 'show animations')
G3MiniTower/266, 192M/6=G
OS 9.1/8.6

scarab
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2001, 07:58 AM

One good thing about having an additional partition is for backup purposes when you have to erase another partition, like your startup disk for example.

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2001, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Goran K:
<STRONG>

Since we're getting off-topic here, Cipher13:
Try the settings in your browser (disable 'show animations')</STRONG>
Nah! I wouldn't want Cipher to do that, he wouldn't be able to see any other animations then.

No problems Cipher, just for you

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2001, 08:18 PM

When your computer crashes and you have to go through that disk scan the next time you restart, you can shorten the time it takes if you have your system folder on a smaller partition and keep all of your other stuff on the other partition. That way the post-crash disk check only has to scan the small partition with your system folder before resuming with the regular startup.

Having 2 or more partitions is also convenient if you do regular defragmenting of your HD (this applies more to Norton Utilities; other HD utilities like Tech Tool Pro are able to defragment an active volume). You can unmount and defragment your extra partitions w/o having to reboot to a CD. This is useful if you just want to defragment your documents only on one partition or just defragment your applications on another partition. If you want to defragment the partition with your system folder, you will have to use your Norton CD or boot off of another partition with a duplicate system folder, of course.

Similarly, if you want to do a disk scan to check for problems on a specific partition, the scan time will be shorter than if you just had 1 large partition that you want to scan for a problem. This could save you a lot of time if you always do a media check for each disk scan.

The drawbacks to a multi-partition setup are that you have to keep track of and maintain multiple partitions, naturally.
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

Cipher13
Sep 7, 2001, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by blot:
<STRONG>

Nah! I wouldn't want Cipher to do that, he wouldn't be able to see any other animations then.

No problems Cipher, just for you </STRONG>
Alrighty then, if you wanna be like that, so be it

Please remove all animation from the signature and decrease its size to 120*35 pixels... its extremely annoying... if you don't administration will be notified.

Sorry, but I don't like signatures taking up as much room as posts do.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2001, 03:19 AM

I agree with Randycat. With a 6 GB disk, I would probably make one partition for the system files, and another for the applications and documents. For OS 9, between 1 and 1.5 GB is plenty for the system file, and then leave the rest for apps and docs.

If you're planning on using OS X, then I'd recommend the following:

1 partition for OS 9
1 partition for OS X and classic
1 remainding partition for documents.

As for size, the OS 9 partition doesn't need to be very large...if you plan on using OS X most of the time and won't be booting into OS 9 for any reason, then you don't even need this partition. But if you will use OS 9 alone, then it's important to have a version that isn't used as Classic by OS X. This allows you to have larger more functional extension set for OS 9, and a streamlined set for OS X.

The OS X partition must be very large, at least 4 GB. I'm not entirely sure of why this is, but there are reports on the net of people running into problems with only 2 GB for OS X.

For your HD, perhaps you might do two partitions: a 1 GB partion for OS 9, and the rest of the HD for OS X and classic.

There is no reason to have the OS 9 system folder to be used with OS X (the classic system folder) on a seperate partition from OS X. So if you are going to use only OS X and classic, then I wouldn't bother partitioning your drive, UNLESS:

Another reason for partitioning is that some people like to use a partition as a "scratch disk" for photoshop or some audio editing apps. By having the app's cache on its own partition, the cache remains less fragmented and the app supposedly runs faster. For this you might use a 500MB -1000MB partition.

So the next question you might have is, what if I put the system's VM on a seperate partition? This will speed up the system, but only if the VM is on a different HD. Easy to do with OS 9, but very difficult to do with X. Probably best not to fool with it on X just yet.

Hope that helped, I'm pretty ripped tonight so it's probably not organized very well!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2001, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

Alrighty then, if you wanna be like that, so be it

Please remove all animation from the signature and decrease its size to 120*35 pixels... its extremely annoying... if you don't administration will be notified.

Sorry, but I don't like signatures taking up as much room as posts do.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]</STRONG>
Awww.... Cipher, u misunderstood . The last anim wasn't a signature. It was done to show you that I killed it . My new sig will be up soon (in conformance to specs of course)

Anyway, back to the topic..... Randycat has an extremely good point. Having a minimal system with the necessary tools on a second partition beats having to insert a cd to boot the system for repairs or maintenance.

Cipher13
Sep 8, 2001, 09:06 AM

My apologies... I assumed you were being a smartass.

The image was quite amusing... but anyway.

I've got my sytem set up like this:

10 gig drive - 5/5 split.
��Partition 1 - OS 9.04 and applications
��Partition 2 - OSX and just assorted "stuff". If I use Classic, I'll put 9.21 on this partition.

4 gig drive - 1.35/2.36 split.
� Partition 1 - assorted apps and stuff.
��Partition 2 - emergency boot System (very trim, w/DiskWarrior etc), and other assorted items.

At most, I have 4 bootable systems at a time. I always have at least 2.

Partitions are awesome...

DocWest
Senior User
Sep 8, 2001, 10:04 AM

I recommend two partitions.
A small system one
and the rest in another.

On my 10GB, I hae a 400MB system partition for OS9 and some utils.
the other partition is everything else, including the virtual memory for the system.

Very nice when you need to check/maintain/repair the drives.

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2001, 09:31 PM

One short note for those of you using Discburner. You may consider a larger partition for your MacOS partition- something on the order of 2+ GB (preferably 2.5 GB, minimum). It may seem unnecessarily large, but when you are preparing to burn a disc, Discburner can store up to 700 MB from the initial CD image plus another 700 MB for the final CD image (just prior to burning) in your Preferences folder and desktop. It's not pretty at all when you have finally prepared a CD for burning and then you run out of HD space in the middle of the process.

Of course if you are using Toast, needing the extra space may not be such an issue (I'm not sure).
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 02:13 AM

This is what multiple partitions has been, in my experience.

The advantages of multiple partitions:
  • Smaller cluster sizes on very large volumes
  • Easier file organization
  • Less fragmentation
  • More space for cool icons

The disadvantages of multiple partitions:
  • More volumes to manage
  • OS 9 likes to put programs on the boot volume
  • Less percieved space
  • Duplicate files are often missed

Here's my setup:
  • Hard drive
  • Capacity: 9.53 GB (1K = 1024)
  • Eye-Gore - boot volume
  • Capacity: 1 GB
  • Heavy Machinery - applications
  • Capacity: 3.17 GB
  • The Storage Shed - documents
  • Capacity: 5.27 GB
  • Hard drive
  • Capacity: 7.87 GB (1K = 1024)
  • Screaming Weevil - aiff storage (samples for my digital music)
  • Capacity: 3.93 GB
  • Fresh Meat - internet/ftp/irc downloads, internet cache
  • Capacity: 3.93 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules