Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Why does OS 9.2.1 SUCK?!?!?!?!?!

Why does OS 9.2.1 SUCK?!?!?!?!?!
moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2001, 12:36 PM

I recently downgraded to OS 9.2.1 and found my iBook in a world of $hit! It would crash a couple of times a day. Everytime I closed Dreamweaver Ultradev I'd get an "Error type 7" If I disconnected from the internet from the control strip (which is the only way I know how to do it) 60% of the time my iBook would crash!!! I've got a tangerine 300mhz iBook. I recently upgraded back to OS 9.1 and all is good again. But When I did the same on my iMac (400mhz se dv 640mb ram) at home (which by the way I also run 10.0.4 which rocks!!) the reversion back to OS 9.1 did not fix "Classic" from crashing.
Just a side note, I had a copy of Carbonlib 1.2.5 on a zip disc and put that in my iBook. My iMac has Carbonlib 1.4. Any suggestions?
My pants are fancier than yours!

Vsx1
Sep 13, 2001, 08:00 PM

I'll have to check other forums but my multimedia volume keys no longer function properly. I launched iTunes and expected the usual volume slider to move using the command-arrow (up/down) keys. Well that still works. But I get the same result using my volume keys found on the Pro KB. Under 9.1.x I'd get a small window at the bottom of the screen indicating the volume level. Outside of iTunes I get the little window. Did I find a bug?
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2001, 01:22 AM

Here's the problem with the volume keys in 9.2.1. They function normally except when iTunes is open. If you use the keys while iTunes is open you control the iTunes volume slider ONLY. This is DUMB and I am very annoyed. I am trying to get 9.1 back onto my machine. If I only knew how since my CD drive refuses to mount most disks. . . .

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2001, 02:22 AM

Yeah I noticed the same thing. The iTunes volume is no longer independant from the system volume. I don't think it's a BAD thing. I'm not happy with it, but my life will go on.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2001, 12:32 PM

Try holding down the option & shift keys while using the volume keys to adjust the system vol while iTunes is running. It works on my PB.

Petter
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by blot:
<STRONG>Try holding down the option & shift keys while using the volume keys to adjust the system vol while iTunes is running. It works on my PB.</STRONG>
Yeeesss =)
It do work on my cube as well!

thanks!
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

moss514  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2001, 08:25 PM

Um...None of this has anything to do with my original problem...but, I guess have fun with your topic.
My pants are fancier than yours!

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2001, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. Option-shift-volume is better than nothing but this is really a dumb idea. For many of us who like to blast iTunes but have other apps that make occassional noises at become annoying (like AIM) the ability to quickly control the ENTIRE system volume was a great luxury. If you wanted to control just iTunes' volume you could hit command-up or command-down. I really hate that Apple screwed this up in 9.2. For that one feature I am considering dropping back to 9.1. I think I'm going to send this to Apple as part of the OS X feedback under the "classic" category.

mkd
Sep 17, 2001, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by blot:
<STRONG>Try holding down the option & shift keys while using the volume keys to adjust the system vol while iTunes is running. It works on my PB.</STRONG>
That is SOOOOOO COOL!!! That stupid new iTunes thing was driving me crazy!

Does anyone know how to make Quake 3 RUN WORTH **** under 9.2.1? I had to make a separate 9.1 Sys Folder (the good thing is a ResEdited the **** out of it and made a really cool gamer startuo screen )
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

Forum Links
Forum Rules