Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word scroll hangtime: Argh!

Word scroll hangtime: Argh!
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 05:23 PM

I don't know when this started happening but it dawned on me I should see if it's happening to anyone else or is it just one of the myriad things the Evil Joker running the Universe does just to provoke me (which is what I've been assuming...). When I hit and hold the scroll button on a Word doc it takes a full 3 seconds (one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand) before the doc starts to scroll. If I just hit the button once and don't hold it, it will move down a line or so immediately. But if I want to scroll down more than a line (and don't want to hit the empty space in the scroll bar and go down a whole page), it hangs for 3 seconds.

Is it just my bad karma or is this a known thing?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2006, 05:35 PM

It doesn't take quite that long, but Word does delay about a second before scrolling if I hold in the scroll button, yeah.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 08:13 PM

Mine is definitely a really aggravating 3 seconds long - I've timed it. I can't imagine what purpose it would serve to build in a delay like this, even a one second delay.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 08:25 PM

I can.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 10:11 PM

Care to elaborate?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 11:32 PM

Without a short delay it might be very difficult to scroll exactly one line. So it first scrolls one line, waits a little in case the user lifts the mouse button, and if not continues with continuous scrolling.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Without a short delay it might be very difficult to scroll exactly one line. So it first scrolls one line, waits a little in case the user lifts the mouse button, and if not continues with continuous scrolling.
That's exactly how the scroll bar arrows work in my other applications, like Safari: a slight hesitation, then it scrolls rapidly. Word does the one line bump then hangs for a full 3 seconds - which is a h*ll of a long time when you're creating a 5 page outline and needing to scroll up and down constantly (hence the Argh! in the heading).

Forum Links
Forum Rules