Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Corporal punishment in schools.

Corporal punishment in schools.
Tiresias
Nov 7, 2006, 09:42 AM

EDIT: I SEE I'VE POSTED IN THE WRONG FORUM. OOPS.

Every industrialized country in the world now prohibits school corporal punishment, except the U.S.

Facts About Corporal Punishment
Today in unnamed foreign country where I teach English I saw students get hit by a teacher. This is the first time I have ever seen a teacher hit a student. The students -- one of whom has deformed hands -- were stuck hard seven times each on the hand with a plastic ruler. I was so upset I had to leave the classroom, suprising myself as much as everyone else.

Later came the inevitable talk with my employer about my walk out. I told her that in my country it is illegal, I have never seen it before, that I disagree with it wholeheartedly, and couldn't stand to be in the classroom while it was happening. In the ensuing conversation I told her that every industrialised country I know of has outlawed corporal punishment in schools, except for the US, about which I wasn't too sure.

According to the above website there are a number of US states that haven't outlawed corporal punishment in schools.

Is this true? If yes, it comes as a bit of a surprise to me.

Was corporal punishment used at your school? Where and when? I'd be interested to hear from anyone, but particularly people from the last industrialised country not to have outlawed it.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 10:00 AM

The fact is it's not used very widely in the USA anymore.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2006, 10:47 AM

Why have a law against something that isn't widely practiced and isn't tolerated by the parents?

My schools (a LONG time ago) had a very seldom used corporal punishment policy-the principle of assistant principle could administer "swats" with a wooden paddle for a small list of infractions, not all of which were violent (rampant insubordination to a teacher was one, but it had to be almost violent to count). I got ONE swat while in school, for ignoring a "punitive" assignment from a substitute teacher. I ignored it because the idiot substitute couldn't manage to pronounce my name correctly, and since "Clem" wasn't in the classroom why should Glenn do an assignment?

Anyway, my son's schools did not have any corporal punishment. They had in-school suspension, out of school suspension, temporary expulsion and full expulsion, with lots of parent involvement. Parental involvement is the real key here.

But to the point of your story, punishing a child by spanking them on deformed hands is just plain cruel.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:20 AM

I remember getting "licks" for setting off smoke and stink bombs. It was like a ritual -- my week wasn't complete without getting into so much trouble, some teacher or principal had to bust me with 2 feet of oak.

Kids are pansies nowadays, hands-down.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I remember getting "licks" for setting off smoke and stink bombs. It was like a ritual -- my week wasn't complete without getting into so much trouble, some teacher or principal had to bust me with 2 feet of oak.

Kids are pansies nowadays, hands-down.
I have to agree. Although I didn't get paddled often (maybe once /yr) it was often enough to keep me mindful of the possibility. Also, in grades K-8, I knew if I were paddled in school I'd be punished when I got home. My teachers would call my parents to let them know what had happened, and then I was grounded or I got "the belt"... and dad could swing a mean strap when it was needed.

Words can't express my gratitude for the discipline I received during those years, it made me a better and stronger person.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
Words can't express my gratitude for the discipline I received during those years, it made me a better and stronger person.

Hear, hear!

You reap what you sow.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

I'm not quite sure I follow the argument that corporal punishment somehow makes you a better and stronger person. I believe growing up in a highly structured and disciplined environment will make you a better and stronger person.

If a parent wants to administer corporal punishment, that's fine, but I personally don't like the idea of teachers or principals striking children.

MacNStein, do you think it really made a difference that you were hit at school before you were hit at home? Would it not have been enough to be punished in a non-physical form at school all the while knowing that when you got home "the belt" was waiting?

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 12:32 PM

In kindergarten through second grade, at any given time you would see either I or one of my three cousins waiting outside the principals office. It was like a rotation. This wasn't terribly that long ago either, around 87 - 89 in Louisiana.

Got my knuckles racked in class (the teachers were quicker than ninjas with a ruler) and if I did something extra devious (which was often), then I'd be invited to the office were we had a nice paddle reserved for us (one my cousins father made cause he didn't think the principals original was good enough).

This was public school. If you got out of line, it hurt. A parent can't even spank their kid in the store without some jackass wanting to call CPS.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow the argument that corporal punishment somehow makes you a better and stronger person. I believe growing up in a highly structured and disciplined environment will make you a better and stronger person.

If a parent wants to administer corporal punishment, that's fine, but I personally don't like the idea of teachers or principals striking children.

MacNStein, do you think it really made a difference that you were hit at school before you were hit at home? Would it not have been enough to be punished in a non-physical form at school all the while knowing that when you got home "the belt" was waiting?
It made me pay attention to my teachers. The possibility that I could be taken out into the hall for a teacher "conference" was enough to keep me in line, most of the time.

I watched a 10 y/o kid cuss out his math teacher once, in front of the entire class. Wasn't the first time he'd done it either, and the suspensions he'd received did nothing to discipline the brat. You wouldn't have seen anything like that happen at the schools I attended, especially towards a member of the faculty. In my day, we responded with "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" when we were addressed in class, not "f**k you!" or "suck me b**ch".

We didn't carry handguns, we didn't plot to kill our fellow classmates, and we had no fear of getting knifed on our way to the lockers. It was a time when people were taught right from wrong, and it was enforced. We have no control of our children because we no longer try to control them.

Our P.C., weak-wristed society has convinced every young boy and girl that they're a special little prince or princess, and because of this, we have failed an entire generation.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:48 PM

Discipline is not practiced in the US because of the threat of lawsuits. Busybodies will stick their ugly noses into a family and attempt to bring the social services into the picture just because they witnesses a pat on the behind. So you have little brats who grow up to be major a$$holes and in turn produce even bigger A$$holes. They are everywhere.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=MacNStein;3196223It was a time when people were taught right from wrong...

We have no control of our children because we no longer try to control them.

Our P.C., weak-wristed society has convinced every young boy and girl that they're a special little prince or princess...[/QUOTE]
I think these are right, and have nothing to do with corporal punishment.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
Discipline is not practiced in the US because of the threat of lawsuits. Busybodies will stick their ugly noses into a family and attempt to bring the social services into the picture just because they witnesses a pat on the behind. So you have little brats who grow up to be major a$$holes and in turn produce even bigger A$$holes. They are everywhere.
Exactly. I saw a lady spank her child in the store a few months back. Nothing major, a couple of swats on the rear end. The kid kept getting into things when mom's back was turned. Some lady that also saw it told the mother that she can't do that and it's child abuse. Without skipping a beat, the mother looked at the lady and told, "Tell me how to raise my kid again and I'll show you abuse." I about died of laughter.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I think these are right, and have nothing to do with corporal punishment.
Right now, the repercussions for bad behavior are laughable, 20-25 years ago, they weren't.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Without skipping a beat, the mother looked at the lady and told, "Tell me how to raise my kid again and I'll show you abuse." I about died of laughter.
*applause*
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:02 PM

Right now, the repercussions for bad behavior are laughable, 20-25 years ago, they weren't.
That's true. That's also because being stuck in your room 25 years ago was a lot more boring

As far as I can tell right now parents don't even hold the kids to the groundings they hand out.

Take away the bedroom tv, game system, computer, cell phone, etc. and they might actually care that they're stuck in the house.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 01:04 PM

That's true. That's also because being stuck in your room 25 years ago was a lot more boring

As far as I can tell right now parents don't even hold the kids to the groundings they hand out.

Take away the bedroom tv, game system, computer, cell phone, etc. and they might actually care that they're stuck in the house.
When I was grounded, all I had for entertainment was a book. Usually school books, unless it was summer.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:05 PM

I usually ended up drawing, reading, or listening to music.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 01:18 PM

We didn't carry handguns, we didn't plot to kill our fellow classmates, and we had no fear of getting knifed on our way to the lockers. It was a time when people were taught right from wrong, and it was enforced. We have no control of our children because we no longer try to control them.

Our P.C., weak-wristed society has convinced every young boy and girl that they're a special little prince or princess, and because of this, we have failed an entire generation.
If you wrote a book, I'd buy it.

I think the "idea" of not spanking a child is a noble thought. In practice, however, SOME kids DO require more strict discipline. This includes the occasional spanking. I wish we lived in a world where kids didn't have to be uncomfortable from time to time, happy all the time, like the do-gooders want. The reality is that there are some kids that just need stern correction.

I wonder if there is a study on the overall effects of the declining use of corporal punishment. I wonder how the results in the US compare to the rest of the world.

You reap what you sow.

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2006, 01:21 PM

I don't remember any corporal punishment. Nowadays a teacher can't even touch a student in passing.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius View Post
I think the "idea" of not spanking a child is a noble thought. In practice, however, SOME kids DO require more strict discipline. This includes the occasional spanking. I wish we lived in a world where kids didn't have to be uncomfortable from time to time, happy all the time, like the do-gooders want. The reality is that there are some kids that just need stern correction.
For the record, I agree with all of this.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:30 PM

On the rare occassion that my nephew does act up, my sister swats his bottom and takes away everything but his books. I'll tell you this, it breaks the little guy's heart when his mom spanks him. It hurts him far more than a week stuck in his room with only his books to keep him company. But then, reading is his favorite activity.

It makes me beam with pride when he comes over to visit, our talks about Tom Bombadil and Allanon are the stuff of legend. If every 7 y/o were like him, I wouldn't fear for our future.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'll tell you this, it breaks the little guy's heart when his mom spanks him. It hurts him far more than a week stuck in his room with only his books to keep him company. But then, reading is his favorite activity.
Is there any kid alive who wouldn't feel the same way?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:35 PM

If you wrote a book, I'd buy it.

Well, I have written a few, but not on this subject. I've considered it, though. Lord knows I have enough notes and journal entries on the subject. Perhaps when I get caught up on my current projects, I'll look into it.
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 01:43 PM

Bull-puckey!

It's not up to schools to beat children into submission, your beef lies with parents.

I was taught right from wrong, my father hit me ONCE, and only once. I learned not to be a brat, not to throw tantrums, and everyday I work my father gets compliments on how charming and polite I am.

My dad and his brothers went to a Catholic school where my uncle Joe (who is a paranoid Schiz. now) got his left hand beaten on a daily basis because he wrote with "The Devil's Hand"

Pure retardedness right there, schools teach, parents dicipline...end of story.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:44 PM

I wonder if there is a study on the overall effects of the declining use of corporal punishment. I wonder how the results in the US compare to the rest of the world.
Well, the UK has turned into a hellhole since corporal punishment was abolished, if that's any indication.

Interesting story from a few weeks back: Bloke trying to discipline his child, as child wouldn't go to school. Child called the police because bloke shouted at him. Bloke ends up at the station being interviewed by plod. Kid carries on avoiding school.

Here's the kicker: If you don't send your kid to school, you can end up with a jail term. But you've actually got no methods available to you to force a stubborn child to attend.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 01:48 PM

When I was a kid, if you were going to resort to violence, it was with fist and one on one. None of this stabbing, shooting, jumping bullsh!t that goes on today.

I was jumped by six guys my freshman year in San Diego. I didn't win, but they sure knew they got into a fight. After that, any time I saw an uneven fight, I'd help whoever was outnumbered. Regardless if I knew them or disliked them.

A lot of kids today are cowards.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:51 PM

Is there any kid alive who wouldn't feel the same way?
Most that I've seen don't care enough about their parents to feel guilt or sadness. They care about how they're not being stimulated by TV or their video games, and give little thought to the feelings of others.

In this day, few parents are actually parents, they're medicated to the point of insensibility and have no clue how to teach their children proper values. They plop them down in front of the computer or TV and don't give them another thought.

Disconnect the Xbox, unplug the cable modem, and get the child a subscription to the book of the month club. When they talk trash or act in a disrespectful manner, smack that butt and leave them in their room with books that enforce morals and creativity. When they reach their 20s, they'll thank you for it.
- Thomas Paine

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Well, the UK has turned into a hellhole since corporal punishment was abolished, if that's any indication.
If you have links to information supporting this statement, it would be much appreciated.

You reap what you sow.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 01:55 PM

Most that I've seen don't care enough about their parents to feel guilt or sadness. They care about how they're not being stimulated by TV or their video games, and give little thought to the feelings of others.

In this day, few parents are actually parents, they're medicated to the point of insensibility and have no clue how to teach their children proper values. They plop them down in front of the computer or TV and don't give them another thought.
You've met my ex-wife, haven't you?

You reap what you sow.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 01:55 PM

It makes me beam with pride when he comes over to visit, our talks about Tom Bombadil and Allanon are the stuff of legend. .
Walker Boh was better.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:00 PM

snip
So you're saying there are kids out there that don't care of their parents hit them?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bull-puckey!

It's not up to schools to beat children into submission, your beef lies with parents.

I was taught right from wrong, my father hit me ONCE, and only once. I learned not to be a brat, not to throw tantrums, and everyday I work my father gets compliments on how charming and polite I am.

My dad and his brothers went to a Catholic school where my uncle Joe (who is a paranoid Schiz. now) got his left hand beaten on a daily basis because he wrote with "The Devil's Hand"

Pure retardedness right there, schools teach, parents dicipline...end of story.
Discipline should be taught in all areas of a child's life, not just the 1-2 hours that they get to spend with mommy and daddy each day (too bad they're too busy watching TV or surfing for porn). In this day and age, schools make more of an impact on a kid's life than his parents ever will, because they spend more time with them.

I'll guarantee that if a student were to get a good swat with a paddle when they misbehave, they'd learn a little cause and effect. I'm not talking about hand beating, or public lashes, but a few strokes with the oak by the teacher, with another teacher as witness. The improvement in our education system would be remarkable.

However, I know that can't happen, the parents would sue the school just to cash in.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
So you're saying there are kids out there that don't care of their parents hit them?
I'm saying there are kids out there that need a spanking, and their parents aren't doing their job. The problem is, for some it's just too late. We've lost them.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:05 PM

Disconnect the Xbox, unplug the cable modem, and get the child a subscription to the book of the month club.
See, my issue is, you keep coming up with a boatload of other things parents aren't doing other than corporal punishment for me to believe its what's missing. I think its a small piece of the puzzle that's probably not key.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:05 PM

If you have links to information supporting this statement, it would be much appreciated.
There's not so much one single link or bunch of links which really illustrate it... ...but the whole thing. You know how you build the big picture from loads of little snippets? It's like that.

Having said that, have a read of these:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/youthj...718793,00.html

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...65&method=full

WALES is being hit by a crime wave carried out by children who are too young to be prosecuted.

Hundreds of children under the age of 10 are committing crimes and, like older troublemakers, are causing heartache for their victims. But they walk free because the legal system cannot prosecute them.

Some children as young as eight are regularly involved in car theft, burglary and drugs.

Police forces across Wales say juvenile crime and youth annoyance are huge problems but say they are powerless to act.

Officers blame lack of parental discipline for the problem.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:10 PM

See, my issue is, you keep coming up with a boatload of other things parents aren't doing other than corporal punishment for me to believe its what's missing. I think its a small piece of the puzzle that's probably not key.
It's not a small piece, but it's not the whole pie either. It's just another tool that a parent needs to do their job.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 PM

Well, I'd give it more consideration if parents were using all the other tools and failing, but as it is, they don't seem to be doing their job, period.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:15 PM

Well, I'd give it more consideration if parents were using all the other tools and failing, but as it is, they don't seem to be doing their job, period.
Possibly because a lot of the younger parents were never actually disciplined themselves?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:17 PM

Case in point, I remember acting up at the supermarket when I was 10... taking down canned goods and stacking them in the aisles, trying to sneak things into the cart when they weren't looking, running off by myself, etc. etc. My dad simply "adjusted" his belt, and I immediately snapped into line. Most of the time he didn't even have to verbally chastise me, just the thought of the belt made me a believer.
- Thomas Paine

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 02:18 PM

Its funny how times have changed.

If I went home and told my mom that the nun struck me, she'd ask what did I do to deserve getting hit and then she'd hit me. I learned pretty qucikly that I better keep my mouth shut
Michael

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:18 PM

Possibly because a lot of the younger parents were never actually disciplined themselves?
*ding* *ding* *ding*
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:19 PM

Turtles all the way up?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:22 PM

Turtles all the way up?
Ummm... No habla Español?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:24 PM

Parents today don't discipline their kids because they weren't disciplined (Was what I understood your statement to be)

Why didn't their parents discipline them?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:27 PM

Parents today don't discipline their kids because they weren't disciplined (Was what I understood your statement to be)

Why didn't their parents discipline them?
Clinton got in?

I've no idea, other than pointing at a time 10-15 years ago when it became frowned upon to smack your kid and schools were no longer allowed to hand out discipline. Small trickle became a flood somewhere along the way?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:32 PM

Clinton got in?
You're pathetic.

I've no idea, other than pointing at a time 10-15 years ago when it became frowned upon to smack your kid and schools were no longer allowed to hand out discipline. Small trickle became a flood somewhere along the way?
That seems more likely.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:33 PM

You're pathetic.
And you don't understand rhetorical humour.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:38 PM

Clinton got in?

It started when society became more litigious, and parents found they could get a free ride by suing the schools.
- Thomas Paine

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 02:39 PM

There's not so much one single link or bunch of links which really illustrate it... ...but the whole thing. You know how you build the big picture from loads of little snippets? It's like that.

Having said that, have a read of these:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/youthj...718793,00.html

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...65&method=full
Thanks for the links. I agree with your statement about looking at the big picture and putting the pieces together. I just wanted something tangible in case I got into this discussion again with, say, my ex. I wanted something i could point to and say here's proof.

You reap what you sow.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:41 PM

It started when society became more litigious, and parents found they could get a free ride by suing the schools.
If you're right, then this problem is much more recent.

Growing up, I was under the impression that this had been a problem for a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules