Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare - Purchase Later?

AppleCare - Purchase Later?
Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:50 AM

Hey Everyone,

Another one of my quick questions that will seem very basic to you guys!

I'm just wondering whether you have to buy AppleCare with your MBP, or whether you can buy it later on? And how much later on, i.e. can you buy the MBP, and use it with the 1 year guarantee, and then towards the end of the year, buy the AppleCare, and then have 3 more years?

Thanks a lot,

Charlie -

Remxed
Aug 9, 2007, 12:08 PM

you can buy the apple care anytime you want.

The Apple Store (U.S.) - AppleCare & .Mac

Most people either buy it with their mac or buy it a year after they get their mac.

I personally think that it's overpriced. If it were around $100-$200 I would consider getting it. However, Macs should be known for their quality and I keep hearing people who strongly recommend it because it saves them a ton of money when their mac breaks down (as if they're expecting something to happen). I've had my toshiba laptop for 3 years now and nothing has happened. I now have a mbp and I'm still contemplating whether to get the protection plan or not...

cherry su
Aug 9, 2007, 12:22 PM

RE quality of MBP:

BS. My MacBook Pro (Rev A) had the battery replaced 3 times and the power adaptor replaced once. The good thing was that the replacements were free of charge.

Bottom Line: GET APPLECARE! If you need a logic board or display replaced and your machine is out of warranty, it could cost as much as $1000 according to reports!!!
MacBook Pro T2500/1.5GB/100GB/256MB  iPod 20GB B&W  Mac mini 1.25/256MB/40GB/32MB  Dell 2.66/2GB/80GB/Intel Extreme Gfx

Rumor
Aug 9, 2007, 12:34 PM

I bought my MBP in July and I'll purchase Applecare sometime next spring.

Since I work in the insurance industry, I have a very strong grasp of planning "just in case". I'd rather have it and not use it, than not have it and need it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chazzer3 View Post
I'm just wondering whether you have to buy AppleCare with your MBP, or whether you can buy it later on? And how much later on, i.e. can you buy the MBP, and use it with the 1 year guarantee, and then towards the end of the year, buy the AppleCare, and then have 3 more years?
You have until the expiration of the factory warranty to get it (1 year). After the factory warranty expires, you cannot add AppleCare.

With AppleCare, you get 3-years total coverage, including the factory warranty (ie it adds only 2 years).

Generally, it's wise to get the extended warranty, as repairs can be extremely expensive. However, waiting until the end of the first year is perfectly safe, and may save you money if you end selling (or heaven forbid losing) the machine for whatever reason.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2007, 03:12 AM

I got it for amazon for $50 off btw.

Comes in a box, then you call apple to link the Applecare # to your serial #.

W

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 05:01 AM

Ebay or Craigslist can be places too... just be careful..

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 11:28 PM

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 01:27 AM

My 12in Powerbook had its hard drive die twice on it, and Super Drive die once on it. Any one of those fixes would have cost more than AppleCare. One of my college room mates, around three years ago, has his rev a 12in Powerbook die a horrible death. Three fixes later Apple gave him a new Powerbook instead of fixing it again. Lucky duck.

I just bought a new Macbook Pro (as in its in the mail now) but am putting off AppleCare for a while because I literally have no money. (AppleCare was like 40,000¥ or something like that. The horror!) For laptops its worth it almost all the time.

w5ss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 01:32 PM

I just had a fantastic experience with Applecare and my Powerbook:

Two year old 1.67 ghz Powerbook with one or two faint white spots in the lower right quadrant of the screen. They have been there for close to a year and obviously not much of a distraction. I just upgraded the ram to 2GB in preparation for Leopard and decided to ask Apple to look at my screen issue. Called them last Wednesday, got the box Thursday, sent it back on Friday. They received it, replaced the screen and shipped it back to me on Monday. I picked it up last evening and it looks great!

I will definitely keep Applecare warranties on any laptop or iMac I own - notsomuch on the Minis.
( Last edited by w5ss; Oct 31, 2007 at 02:25 PM. )
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sandydubya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 02:00 PM

I got mine on eBay for $170, delivered. The transaction went perfectly with PayPal payment. The seller's e-mail was [email protected]. Maybe you want to see if he has more.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 04:45 PM

I have been lucky over the years.... I used Safeware for years with great results,
but never bought Applecare. I self insure now. Applecare would always blame any
defects on abuse. Of course I own a construction company and have as many as 9 PBs at a time.

Safeware was good, but after reviewing costs... self insurance has paid off. I keep a couple of spare G4PBs to use if one is down. (OF COURSE TOMORROW ALL MY COMPUTERS WILLDIE!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules