Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new MBP battery only last 4hrs max

new MBP battery only last 4hrs max
Zaurus
Aug 13, 2007, 02:12 PM

i bought my MBP for only few weeks
can't believe my battery will only give me maximum of 4hrs
( i have everything set to minimal power usage + i only have 1 charged cycle on my battery)

it said 6hrs on Apple's web site

anyone has this problem?
thanks
---
Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15inch 2GB DDR2 RAM
LED Backlight, OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

Cold Warrior
Aug 13, 2007, 02:27 PM

What kinds of stuff are you doing with it during those 4 hours?

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 13, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What kinds of stuff are you doing with it during those 4 hours?
reading pdf (using lowest brightness, backlight keyboard off, turn off airport , everything is at minimal)

i used the same setting as my previous Powerbook, and it gives me 5 hrs (same as Apple's web site)
---

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 13, 2007, 05:50 PM

The Intel-based portables do use more power than their PPC counterparts, that's a fact. I doubt you'll get much more than 4-hours on a charge (my MBP is lucky to get 3 hours with normal usage, 6 hours is, IMO, a marketing gimmick on Apple's part).

Still, you might want to check if there are any background processes preventing the disk from spinning down. Also, use a program like CoreDuoTemp to check whether the processor speed is being dropped to the minimum when you're not on AC power.

ibook_steve
Aug 13, 2007, 05:57 PM

The numbers that are given for battery life are always taken when the machine is running in a non-real world situation. You will never get 6 hours if you use the computer even remotely close to normal. You should be *really* happy to get 4 hours. This is the way it's been in the industry for years.

Steve

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 06:05 PM

Battery life is not often close to the quoted specs.
I'm amazed you Americans don't have hundreds of class actions running over quoted battery life specs.

I probably shouldn't put ideas in your heads......

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2007, 07:53 PM

4 hours is great. I get 3 hours if I'm lucky.

ibook_steve
Aug 13, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Battery life is not often close to the quoted specs.
I'm amazed you Americans don't have hundreds of class actions running over quoted battery life specs.

I probably shouldn't put ideas in your heads......
Nobody would ever win such a suit. Like I said, it *is* theoretically possible to get to these battery specs. However, the machine is not in a usable state.

Steve

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 08:49 PM

Four hours is fantastic for a MBP.

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 13, 2007, 11:03 PM

well...

no wonder my friend is saying how great is his Dell ultraportable which uses Intel's ULV processor

it can have like 7 hrs of battery usage

offtopic: why doesn't Apple release a subnotebook uses Intel's ULV processor?
---

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 02:05 AM

Probably because the r&D costs for such a machine (and the fact that it's Apple) would overpower the small market share it would likely have. 13" is actually considered rather portable, and I can't see Apple ever doing under a 12 inch (full size keyboard size)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 05:39 AM

As others have pointed out the 6h figure is nothing you'd get in a real world test. I get ~3h on my MBP with medium to light use. At 100% load that becomes significantly less. If I turn off AP/BT and lower the brightness like you did I can also reach 4h, but only under medium to light use.

Unfortunately that's the price you pay for having a fast CPU and a comparably power-hungry mobile GPU. A sub-notebook with integrated graphics, an ULV C2D and possibly a SSD would be an alternative, but performance would be significantly reduced for obvious reasons. There have been a lot of threads discussing the reasons for Apple not to do such a MB lite. And there are quite a few people that believe Apple will in fact eventually introduce such a Mac.
•

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 14, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
As others have pointed out the 6h figure is nothing you'd get in a real world test. I get ~3h on my MBP with medium to light use. At 100% load that becomes significantly less. If I turn off AP/BT and lower the brightness like you did I can also reach 4h, but only under medium to light use.

Unfortunately that's the price you pay for having a fast CPU and a comparably power-hungry mobile GPU. A sub-notebook with integrated graphics, an ULV C2D and possibly a SSD would be an alternative, but performance would be significantly reduced for obvious reasons. There have been a lot of threads discussing the reasons for Apple not to do such a MB lite. And there are quite a few people that believe Apple will in fact eventually introduce such a Mac.
hope they did
then i can switch immediately
---

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2007, 12:14 PM

I get around 2 1/2 hours without doing anything to reduce power usage with my MBP, and a bit over 3 if I turn off my AirPort card. Real world usage includes actually running programs that do something. Manufacturers' battery run times are almost always "ultra best case with a little divine intervention" quotes.

In an issue from last November, PC Magazine reviewed the 15" MBP Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz version, and they got 2hr 45min on their "MobileMark 2005" test suite. That's really a respectable run time for a machine as capable as the MBP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 16, 2007, 01:14 PM

so i guess every MBP owners here have the same issue?
---

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2007, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't call it an "issue." I'd call it "advertising the best possible numbers." Real life is never "best possible," now is it? But getting four hours on one charge is really spectacular.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 05:00 PM

I don't even get 4 hrs on my macbook!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 08:03 PM

I don't think I'd get any more than 4 hours out of mine either. Then again I never turn off airport so have never really tried to squeeze every last drop out of it.

But I don't mind, it still has great battery life for a laptop of its performance. I think of it like advertised car fuel economy. Apparently my VW should get around 8L/100km but I tend to average 9.5L/100km. For my day to day driving it would be impossible to get it much lower than I do... but I know they would have got their figure in a special controlled environment.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Four hours is fantastic for a MBP.
I feel the same way. I was the "4 hours" and was all "Damn, I wish my 12 powerbook had ever gotten 4 hours." Then I looked at my new Macbook Pro and hugged it.

jonswan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 08:46 PM

I love Apple but I don't know how they dare say that MBPs can get 6 hrs - that is simply not possible unless you switched everything off and blackened the screen and then perhaps you'd get 5. My 2.33 gets over 3 hours with careful management. If only they could be more honest, seeing as they are trustworthy in most things.

Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 07:36 AM

There are some extended batteries available from NuPower I think. Which apparantly give significant gains, but I'm not sure.

Charlie -

Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 07:39 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules