Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Chicago

Going to Chicago
Lava Lamp Freak
Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 AM

Friday afternoon I'm flying to Chicago for a weekend trip. It'll be my first visit to the city, not counting the many hours I've spent at O'Hare changing flights, and I'm excited. I'm staying at the Congress Plaza Hotel and buying a CityPass to see some of the local sights. Other plans are to visit Northerly Island after I've visited the Alder Planetarium, and reminisce about the old days of playing Flight Sim, and also enjoy the beautiful architecture of the city. On Monday I'm going to watch my first major league baseball game, the Cubs vs Cardinals, and then it'll be time to fly back home. The only thing I'm not sure of yet are places I should check out to eat. Any suggestions for a first time visitor?

Anyone have the scoop on where Batman is filming this week, and what hours of the night? Any daytime filming at all going on?

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 12:18 AM

go to the Hancock Towers 95th floor for a great view at Sunset.
Signature Room at the 95th - When the Sky is the Limit... Lounge: buy a drink and relax, WAY better than dropping $10-$15 (I forget now) on the Observation deck. I'm not in love with having dinner there though.

If you like Sushi, go to Izumi on Randolph. IZUMI SUSHI - Chicago, IL Best in the city IMHO.

Dont forget the Apple store on Michigan Ave.

Oh, and have fun!

Ok, I'm spent, next.

highstakes
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 12:45 AM

If you like Israeli/Arabic/Indian food, check out Devon Avenue...lots of good restaurants from that region (all the nice/decent-looking ones anyway, if your not sure, go with the smell). Also, for fast food, Superdogs is located near Devon and Nagle (not far)...its really cheap, small selection, but this place has been featured on Food Network few times.

If you like Pizza, check out Giordano's...they have locations all over Chicago. Trattoria's is also good, but they might not have a location in the city...so get on the bus and get to Evanston .

highstakes
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 12:50 AM

Also, if you have time, check out University of Chicago...really beautiful campus, good places to eat, and within walking distance to the historic Jackson Park (featured in Devil in the White City).

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 01:09 AM

Batman??

But Brangelina is here!

If you are coming for tourist stuff then go to Unos as its the place that claims to have invented Chicago style. Other token restaurants: Billygoat Taven, Elis cheesecake, Ditkas, Al's Italian Beef, and Gibsons, (or Mortons)
Sure we have good sushi places but you don't see tourists coming here for that. In fact there are several great places to eat but most people come here looking for chicago related cuisine.

Also you don't want to go into Hyde Park unless 1) school is in session or 2) its still light out
If you are looking for similar historic sights then take the train out Oak Park and take the Wright tour. Also its not very smart to send someone who doesn't know the city 30min out of downtown to sauganash for a hotdog.

PS: Its Tower not towers.. 100% positive it is not plural
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Aug 15, 2007 at 01:48 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 12:04 AM

You need to try the deep dish pizza once before you leave. Giordano's, Carmen's, or Gino's East - all are extremely good, even if you don't like pizza.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 12:47 AM

I'll throw in my vote for Lou Malnati's deep dish. But if you're in the heart of downtown, I think you have to go to Uno's or Due's.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 07:21 AM

I actually didn't like Uno nearly as much as the others. Lou Malnati's was pretty good, but I didn't like it quite as much as the three I mentioned. All IMO of course.

Bottom line though: don't visit Chicago without trying the deep dish pizza.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 10:23 PM

2nd vote for Malnati's if you want to venture out of downtown. Far better than Uno's or Giordano's or Gino's. Also agree it's imperative to try deep dish pizza, whatever you choose!

In fact when it comes to food in Chicago, if it's really bad for you, it's probably really good...

Other things touristy...
Sears tower
Chicago River Architecture Tour

The architecture along the river is fabulous. The tour is best known locally for having had the Dave Matthews Band's tour bus empty its sewage tank on a bridge right over a tour boad. Let's just say those tourists weren't happy. But that's only happened once!

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Aug 22, 2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for all of the advise. I had a good trip and got back on Monday. I ate at Gino's East, Due's, and Su Casa. I thought Due's was much better than Gino's, but I liked the environment at Gino's better.

The Field Museum was a lot of fun to walk through. I got to see things I've never seen before and hope to go back again someday. The Museum of Science and Industry was not as much fun to me, but the Omnimax was cool. It was also a little difficult to find. Me and my friend got on the wrong bus and got lost in a scary place. I got to see some parts of Chicago I hadn't intended to see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules