Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why does Mail.app set up my folders this way?

Why does Mail.app set up my folders this way?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2009, 10:35 AM

Here is a screenshot of my Mail.app folders. I don't like - or understand - the way it's set up. For instance, why under Mailboxes > Trash do I have two trashcans: uchicago and On My Mac? Then I have two more trashcans under Uchicago: Imap>Trash and just Trash. I also have two Junk folders and two sent folders. For that matter, why isn't my account Uchicago just incorporated under Mailboxes - don't really get the need for it being separate. As is, my incoming mail goes to Mailboxes>Inbox while my sent mail is in Uchicago>Sent. I can make no rhyme nor reason of it.

OreoCookie
Aug 13, 2009, 10:49 AM

Simple solution: click in the triangle next to trash and you're done.

To answer your question: you have two trashcans, because you use IMAP: the first trash can is on your server. Mails that are no longer retained on your server cannot be put in the trash can on your server, but only into a local trash can.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Simple solution: click in the triangle next to trash and you're done.

To answer your question: you have two trashcans, because you use IMAP: the first trash can is on your server. Mails that are no longer retained on your server cannot be put in the trash can on your server, but only into a local trash can.
Thanx for the reply. I thought my mail was saved on the imap server until I deleted it. In which case I wouldn't need the local trash. Is that not so?

Also, why all the extraneous stuff under the Uchicago account? Why does it put sent mail there and received mail under Mailboxes?

EDIT: just noticed that messages I send now go into Mailboxes>Sent, not into Uchicago>Sent - which is where my saved sent messages were sent by the server. So I've moved the latter mail into the former mailbox and deleted the latter mailbox (ie, Uchicago>Sent). Then I saved a draft message and saw that Mail created a new Drafts mailbox under Mailboxes and saved it there; it did not put it in the Draft mailbox under Uchicago. So I deleted the latter mailbox (Uchicago>Draft). Is there any reason I can't (or shouldn't) delete the rest of the mailboxes under Uchicago?
( Last edited by krx; Aug 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM. )

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
Thanx for the reply. I thought my mail was saved on the imap server until I deleted it. In which case I wouldn't need the local trash. Is that not so?

Also, why all the extraneous stuff under the Uchicago account? Why does it put sent mail there and received mail under Mailboxes?

EDIT: just noticed that messages I send now go into Mailboxes>Sent, not into Uchicago>Sent - which is where my saved sent messages were sent by the server. So I've moved the latter mail into the former mailbox and deleted the latter mailbox (ie, Uchicago>Sent). Then I saved a draft message and saw that Mail created a new Drafts mailbox under Mailboxes and saved it there; it did not put it in the Draft mailbox under Uchicago. So I deleted the latter mailbox (Uchicago>Draft). Is there any reason I can't (or shouldn't) delete the rest of the mailboxes under Uchicago?
You probably actually want to "Use This Mailbox For" those folders. The commands are under the "Mailbox" menu. That way you can access your sent mail and your drafts from anywhere.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
You probably actually want to "Use This Mailbox For" those folders. The commands are under the "Mailbox" menu. That way you can access your sent mail and your drafts from anywhere.
My mail is all visible on the imap server whether it's under Mailboxes or Uchicago. Just frankly seems like a cumbersome and stupid way to handle mail and not up to the standards I expect (and pay for) with Apple. Here is a screenshot of my folders on the server:

And here is my current Mail Folders:

The two do not even correspond.

Forum Links
Forum Rules