Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus?

iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus?
Kensington
Sep 9, 2014, 02:57 PM

I think the choice is clear here, the iPhone 6 Plus is the way to go if you have the means. Being that I'm cheap/broke/in need of a new phone, I will likely get the iPhone 5c(heap) and save up to get one of those snazzy Apple Watches instead. *edit* Hopefully the 5c is compatible. lol
( Last edited by Kensington; Sep 9, 2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Adding "Hopefully the 5c is compatible.")

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I think the choice is clear here, the iPhone 6 Plus is the way to go if you have cargo pants with huge pockets.
Fixed.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:26 PM

@Kensington,

Dunno. My personal phone is a Galaxy Note 3 (5.8") and it fits in pretty much most of my pockets (Dress pants, my shorts) without problem. (Only exception is I can't put it in the front pocket of my jeans, but it fits in the back)

The iPhone Plus is smaller than that. So, it shouldn't be a issue.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2014, 03:38 PM

Probably best that you do not keep your smart phone in your front pants pocket, there have been studies on this.k

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
Probably best that you do not keep your smart phone in your front pants pocket, there have been studies on this.k
elaborate

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2014, 04:48 PM

Jayhorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 05:54 PM

I'm leaning toward the 6. I've always thought that phablets look goofy when you're using one as a phone ... and I do still use mine as a phone.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 06:13 PM

Plus for me. My cargo shorts will be happy!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 06:15 PM

Going with the Plus, simply because my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was in my 30s. I care more about seeing the screen than I do about looking goofy. (and there's probably no help for me in that regard anyway)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 07:43 PM

Definitely NOT the 6 Plus.

The 6 is almost too big for my mobile taste.

-t

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 01:31 AM

Plus here too.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 05:34 AM

Since I only use my 4s as a phone about 5% of the time, its a Plus for me too. Probably a 128GB since I like to have my music with me, and find myself in situations where iCloud doesn't work fairly often.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Kees
Sep 10, 2014, 05:52 AM

The 6 plus is definitely out for me, way too big. If I have an actual need for a screen that size, might as well do it right and bring an iPad.
Not sure about the 6 until I hold one. There's nothing wrong with the size of my 5, so the only thing, apart from just wanting something new, would be apple pay and the camera. The performance from the M8 sounds great, but the 5 is no slough, never noticed any lag.
Biggest disappointment for me is the 16GB on the base model. They're really trying hard to beat that extra $100,- out of your pocket. Granted, it get's you straight up to 64GB. Still, would've been nice to just get 32GB as standard.

P
Sep 10, 2014, 05:59 AM

Not the 6+ - way too big for my taste. Either 6 or the 5S. Since the SoC didn't change as much as the last few years (25% faster CPU rather than 100% as it has been every year since the 4S, 50% faster GPU that will be eaten by the higher resolution), the OIS is only on the 6+ that I absolutely don't want, and I have enough other devices to play with when I want a bigger display, I'm leaning towards the 5S. Since I know that I need more than 16 GB storage, a 6 will be $150 more and later delivery for a bigger screen that I am really uncertain about.

When people with such big phones want to show me that they can reach the entire screen with their thumb, they always cheat by moving the phone on their palm with their fingers. They're not even aware that they're doing that, but it is clear that they're at a risk of dropping the thing, and in fact can't reach anything if they truly hold the phone. In practice they switch to two-handed operation.

It seems to me that the 4" is about as big as you can make a one-handed phone. 4.7" is a compromise between as big a screen as possible and what you could conceivably fit in a pocket. The 5.5" is a good size for two-handed operation, holding with one and operating with the other - it actually makes much more sense to me as an operating model, I just know that I will leave it lying around rather than bringing it with me when I run around. iPad mini is too big to do that (I can hold it in one hand, but it is borderline and not at all comfortable), so you end up holding it in two and operating it with both thumbs, while the big iPad and larger is generally rested on something during operation.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 08:29 AM

Looking at the physical sizes of the 5s vs. the 6, it strikes me as possible that nobody at Apple bothered putting the phone in their front jeans pocket... The 6 is almost certainly going to be too big to fit comfortably; even the 5s is just a hair taller than would make for a perfect pocket-fit (the 4 was perfect). So for me, and I expect many others who prefer a phone they can easily and comfortably carry, this means the new iPhone model is out of the question. I'm now very glad I purchased the 5s a year or so ago. Unless Apple has pulled-off some sort of miracle and made their significantly taller phone fit in my pocket properly (possibly due to the curved design? I won't know for sure until I try it, but I don't have high-hopes), then when my 5s is dead and gone it'll be bye bye iPhones and hello to some other manufacturer that is savvy enough to continue making non-gigantic phones.

P
Sep 10, 2014, 11:31 AM

Your 5S will last at least three more years (my current iPhone 4 is 4 years old), and given that the SoC improvements were so modest in the 6, it is likely to work very well for that period. Much can happen in 4 years. Unless we are completely alone in thinking that the iPhone 6 is too large, Apple should realize by then that 4.7 is too large for the small phone.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by panjandrum View Post
...it'll be bye bye iPhones and hello to some other manufacturer that is savvy enough to continue making non-gigantic phones.
Not sure who is left in the <5" market. Good luck.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2014, 06:49 AM

My son had a Dell phone/tablet for a while, noting that he has big hands and fingers, and a larger phone "should be easier to use." He liked it at first, but with real use, he wound up switching back to a regular sized phone for all the reasons the "smaller" crowd has stated. On the other hand, the Samsung userbase seems to have accepted their larger - though not quite tablet sized - form factor pretty well. I think the 6 will do well for a lot of people, and the 6+ too, but I'm certainly not going to jump at something like the 6+ because I already know it won't fit me, or my pockets, very well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2014, 10:14 PM

I was dead set on the 6, but after seeing the differences with the 6+ I'm going for the big one. OIS, better battery, etc.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2014, 11:17 AM

6+ 128GB for me. I've never put my phone in my pocket (always thought it put unneeded stress on the device.) My phone has always been in a BookBook wallet case so putting it in my pocket was never much of an option. When I use my phone to make calls (which isn't very often), I use the headphones. Rarely ever put the phone up to my ear. Never had much need for one-handed use either. I've got rather large hands and I find single-handed use clumsy. I'm continually fat-fingering the keyboard. Maybe it will be easier with the larger phone.

My biggest concern is getting one. I'm only going to be in the States for 2 weeks starting Sept 21. My friend ordered a 6+ online as soon as it was available and it won't even ship until October. This means I'm going to have to go to a store and pick one up. These long shipping times make it seem like supplies will be very limited at first. Not sure if I'll be able to find one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 03:55 PM

The 6+ is way too big for my hand.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 04:15 PM

@panjandrum

How tall are you? The 5s fits fine in my front right jeans pocket.

I'll have to lift by ass off the chair a little higher to take it out, and be more worried about the rivet on the watch pocket scratching the glass, but I don't see it not fitting. Even in a seated position.

Women are screwed. Women's pants have joke pockets. It's a peeve of mine.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2014, 04:45 PM

The 5s is about as big as my pockets care to go for a smartphone. I use an iPad for larger viewing needs.

The new larger sizes actually make me consider a size-manageable peripheral like an Apple Watch sometime in the future.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2014, 04:46 PM

duplicate post

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The new larger sizes actually make me consider a size-manageable peripheral like an Apple Watch sometime in the future.
That's funny. Apple's master plan is to make the phone so ****ing big you're forced to get an iWatch.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 06:03 PM

Soo, they'll sell you an iPhone mini to go with your iPad.

-t

donaldkepler
Sep 26, 2014, 07:11 AM

Definitely, iPhone6 is far better than iPhone5. The rounded curved edges, iOS8, 5.5 inches screen, Battery capacity, Safari browser with HTML5 version, Camera quality, Hexa-core graphics (PowerVR GX6650) and lot more make iPhone6 superb than others earlier iPhone series

P
Sep 27, 2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by donaldkepler View Post
Definitely, iPhone6 is far better than iPhone5. The rounded curved edges, iOS8, 5.5 inches screen, Battery capacity, Safari browser with HTML5 version, Camera quality, Hexa-core graphics (PowerVR GX6650) and lot more make iPhone6 superb than others earlier iPhone series
Quite a few of those are not even true.

* Rounded edges is a matter of taste, but fine.
* iOS 8 is available for all models of iPhone 5, as well as 4S.
* 5.5 inch screen is absolutely not a given advantage, I much prefer the smaller display. Even if you want to argue that the 4.7" is more popular with the Android folks, 5.5" is certainly not.
* Battery capacity is indeed higher.
* Camera is almost identical. It has the focus pixels for faster autofocus and the Plus has optical image stabilization, which is of very limited utility in early tests. The 6 camera also has much higher noise reduction, so in the comparisons I've seen, the 5S wins as many as it loses. There is some advantage when shooting video though.
* Hexacore graphics was a rumor that turned to not be true. Exactly how Apple's claimed 50% GPU advantage is achieved is not known, it may simply be higher graphics turbo. In any case, the iPhone 6 has more pixels and the same memory bandwidth limitations as the 5, so GPU performance at native resolution is essentially the same as the 5S.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2014, 11:15 AM

Camera almost identical ?

I think you are mistaken.

All reports / reviews point to a far superior camera in the 6/6+.
Some have called it the best cell phone camera ever.

-t

P
Sep 27, 2014, 01:47 PM

Hardware-wise they're almost identical - it adds the focus pixels and on the plus it adds optical image stabilization. The tests I've read show very minor improvements from the 5S when shooting regular photos, and what difference there is comes more from iOS 8 than from the hardware.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Camera almost identical ?

I think you are mistaken.

All reports / reviews point to a far superior camera in the 6/6+.

-t
I doubt it's even close to a Lumia.

P
Sep 29, 2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I felt the need to look that up, because as subego says, there are Lumias with fantastic cameras. The only one I found that said it was the best included the Galaxy S5 as number two - which made me laugh out loud, because that camera isn't in the top twenty of cell phone cameras. It seems like a piece by someone who either doesn't understand cameras or just wants to declare the next Sammy mobe the best ever in return for ad dollars.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2014, 06:47 AM

Definitely not as good as the Lumia phones - if you want to talk camera bezel, well, there ya go - but still absolutely fantastic.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

donaldkepler
Sep 30, 2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Quite a few of those are not even true.

* Rounded edges is a matter of taste, but fine.
* iOS 8 is available for all models of iPhone 5, as well as 4S.
* 5.5 inch screen is absolutely not a given advantage, I much prefer the smaller display. Even if you want to argue that the 4.7" is more popular with the Android folks, 5.5" is certainly not.
* Battery capacity is indeed higher.
* Camera is almost identical. It has the focus pixels for faster autofocus and the Plus has optical image stabilization, which is of very limited utility in early tests. The 6 camera also has much higher noise reduction, so in the comparisons I've seen, the 5S wins as many as it loses. There is some advantage when shooting video though.
* Hexacore graphics was a rumor that turned to not be true. Exactly how Apple's claimed 50% GPU advantage is achieved is not known, it may simply be higher graphics turbo. In any case, the iPhone 6 has more pixels and the same memory bandwidth limitations as the 5, so GPU performance at native resolution is essentially the same as the 5S.
well.. all features are completely dependant on the needs and facility of a user that what he wants to make his work easy .

robinpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2014, 09:22 PM

I think Apple may have hit a market they hadn't even thought about… the over 55 group! Many started off with our first Apple computers in the 80's. However the iPhones have been a pain because of their small screens. Heck many of us even have to wear glasses to read our computer screens.
I must admit I've been using my old flip phone for calling and my iPad for everything else. With the 6+ I'll only have to carry one item to do everything on the go.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2014, 09:19 AM

6+ for me, mainly for the larger screen. Coming from an iPhone 4 (and then an iPhone 5s while I waited for my 6+), it's a huge improvement. Flipboard is so nice to use now. 2 extra rows of icons. Fantastic camera and video camera. Speed - hard to gauge how much faster it is. Again, coming from a 4 with 3G to a 6+ with LTE and the latest networking hardware, the 6+ just flies. Using Ookla's Speedtest app on my home wifi network (Airport Extreme), I'd get around 10-12Mbps with my 4. The 6+ hits 120-130Mbps.

I've experienced some problems - a couple random restarts (or maybe resprings, can't tell) and some lag (most noticeable in the Photos app; scrolling through events). I'm attributing it to OS 8 right now, we'll see if things change with 8.1.

I'll still jailbreak as soon as it's available though. BiteSMS, Forecast, Auxo -- just to name a few -- are sorely missed.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2014, 07:22 AM

Just ordered the 6 Plus. I was going to wait until I got to the States in December but AT&T is still showing a 28-35 day shipping window. (Can't have it shipped to me here in the DR because Aduanas will charge me insane import duties.) Now I have to hope that it arrives while I'm up there.

Nicholas68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2014, 02:11 PM

Just received the 6 Plus a few days ago. Bought it because I wanted a bigger screen for my tiring eyes, and it certainly is a beautiful screen. As for the physical size of the phone, yes it is big, and will take a little getting used to. About the only annoyance is that every time I try to hit the power button, I end up also hitting the volume buttons on the left side, although that problem may be associated with the stiff case I bought from Tech21.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2014, 02:17 PM

Ugh... Shipping date is now Dec 11 - 22. That's 41-52 days after the order date. This is just insane. It may very well arrive after I've left the States. This damn phone better be worth the wait!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Ugh... Shipping date is now Dec 11 - 22. That's 41-52 days after the order date. This is just insane. It may very well arrive after I've left the States. This damn phone better be worth the wait!!
I hear it cures cancer.

CCRyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I hear it cures cancer.
I hear it has an ebola vaccine app.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by CCRyder View Post
I hear it has an ebola vaccine app.
Heck, it even prevents the common cold !!!!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I hear it cures cancer.
I hope so. In all honestly my iPhone 5 is humming along quite nicely, it's just that my partner's iPhone 4 is in need of replacement so he'll get my hand-me-down.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2014, 01:20 PM

Got my 6 plus Thursday the 11th. I have to give props to AT&T for coming through for me. I called them on Wednesday the 10th in the afternoon inquiring on my order. It was still showing a shipping window of the 11th to the 22nd and the agent said there was little chance it would even ship by the 22nd. It seems the 128GB models are still very hard to come by. To my great joy and amazement the agent spent the next 40 minutes on the phone with me doing everything in his power to find a way to get me a phone before I left the States on the 19th. Although they had no new ones in stock he found a few "like new" that were available. Unfortunately he could only find a gold one. I was really hoping for the space gray but at this point I was willing to take anything. He canceled the original order and entered the new order ($150 cheaper!) indicating a shipping window of the 15th-17th with overnight delivery. He said he would continue to monitor the inventory to see if a space gray one became available. Color me surprised when the very next morning a space gray 6 plus is delivered to my door. That guy earned his pay that day for sure. He went above and beyond to make sure I got what I wanted. Merry Christmas to me!

As far as the phone is concerned, I love it! I thought I wouldn't like the size but the screen is perfect for my 50+ year old eyeballs.

drchimrichalds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2014, 07:48 PM

I much prefer the size of the iPhone 6 Plus. Just a matter of preference though. Both phones are top tier.

William Gallagher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2014, 02:50 AM

I've put off thinking about this because I like my iPhone 5 a lot and both versions of the 6 seemed so big at first. Yet each time I pass an Apple Store, they look better and better – and, weirdly, smaller and smaller. Well, let's not get carried away: they're huge next to my 5 but even the 6 Plus is beckoning to me now.

I keep seeing people with 6 Plus iPhones and it takes me a moment to be sure which size it is. If that isn't my heart and my wallet telling me to get the 6 Plus, I don't know what is.

Williaim

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2014, 07:42 AM

I've gotten used to the size of the 6, but there's unresolvable tension between holding it so your thumb has good access to the (portrait mode) keyboard, and holding it so it doesn't want to flip out of your hand.

At least with my size paws.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2014, 08:06 AM

After having lived with my 6 plus for a couple of months, I love it! The size is perfect for me, and I love having 128GB of storage to play with. When I see a 5s or a 4s they seem so tiny now.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2015, 10:44 AM

After using my 6 for a few months and finally seeing and holding some 6 Pluses, I passed by 6 to my wife and got myself a 6 Plus. I've had it a few days and LOVE IT. It's the perfect size. I may finally have found a phone I will keep for more than 6 months. lol

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
After using my 6 for a few months and finally seeing and holding some 6 Pluses, I passed by 6 to my wife and got myself a 6 Plus. I've had it a few days and LOVE IT. It's the perfect size. I may finally have found a phone I will keep for more than 6 months. lol
I feel the same way. Awesome device. It's like having an iPad mini mini.

I am looking forward to more apps taking advantage of the high resolution screen.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules