Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Need an android phone.

Need an android phone.
iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2014, 09:59 PM

It's for work. Testing sites and emails. I'm considering the S3 since it has the largest market share, but the S5 ought to surpass that in 18 months, I would think. I'm also considering the newer Moto X, mostly because of battery/nerd factor.

I don't plan on getting a carrier plan, just cheap, used or unlocked, whatever makes sense..

I foresee some travel so it would be neat to pop in my iPhone 6 (micro? Mini?) SIM into the android phone and get reception, on AT&T. Naturally I could get an unlocked unit if that were a deciding factor, but it probably is not. Mostly nice to have.

Thought, recommendations, etc.? I know there are testing sites like Litmus, et al, but nothing beats a real device (read: stupid translucent iOS mail toolbar).

Thanks.

P
Sep 26, 2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
I foresee some travel so it would be neat to pop in my iPhone 6 (micro? Mini?) SIM into the android phone and get reception, on AT&T.
It's called a nano-SIM. The one in 4 and 4S is micro-SIM, and the regular one i mini-SIM. The full-sized SIM is the size of a credit card, and I have never seen a phone that used it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2014, 05:06 PM

Mmkay, so which phone do you think would be best case (already leaning toward S5 for -sigh- real work, opposed to the Moto X for sheer nerdery)?

(and feel free to move the topic).

thx.

P
Sep 27, 2014, 11:02 AM

If you only want it for testing, pick whatever is the most common model. Personally I'd probably prefer Moto's models if I had to pick one of them, and some HTCs as well over Samsung.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2014, 12:06 PM

If you're testing, shouldn't you go vanilla Android?

ibook_steve
Sep 29, 2014, 12:35 PM

Yeah, a good vanilla Android would be best. My wife loves her Nexus 5.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules