Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cable Modem Question

Cable Modem Question
prokrast
Apr 21, 2000, 02:29 PM

I just got my iMac DV SE about a month ago, and I just found out that cable modem service will finally be available in my area sometime this summer. I was just wondering if my computer would be able to use a cable modem? If so where does it hook into the iMac. Do you guys know any place that sales cable modems for iMac? Thanks.

Raven
Apr 21, 2000, 03:46 PM

I use Road Runner for my ISP, and they provide a modem as part of the service. Yes, you can use a cable modem w/your iMac. The cable modem connects to the ethernet port of your Mac.
The cable modem's Road Runner uses are made by Motorola, and are cross-platform. I'd be surprised if you were required to purchase the modem, but your service may be different.
I've been using a cable connection since I purchased my iMac last February, and don't believe I could ever go back to a dial-up.

Justin

Raven
Apr 21, 2000, 06:22 PM

I use Road Runner for my ISP, and they provide a modem as part of the service. Yes, you can use a cable modem w/your iMac. The cable modem connects to the ethernet port of your Mac.
The cable modem's Road Runner uses are made by Motorola, and are cross-platform. I'd be surprised if you were required to purchase the modem, but your service may be different.
I've been using a cable connection since I purchased my iMac last February, and don't believe I could ever go back to a dial-up.

Justin

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2000, 10:03 PM

Don't buy a modem. Let the cable company supply it. My cable company within a year is going to change the modem that is used, and anyone who bought one will either have to use one from the cable company or buy a new one.

Guy

athun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2000, 09:47 AM

I'm also due to receive access to cable internet service soon. I already have a 5 port Ethernet hub with an imac, Epson Pro XL printer and a Supermac S900 on the network. Can I just plug the provided cable modem into the hub or do I need to buy a cable/DSL router that I have seen other cable modem users talk about? What is the purpose of the router, I've seen some for as low as $77 recently. Thanks

tbholmes
Apr 25, 2000, 09:54 AM

I use my iMac SE with a cable modem supplied by our municipal utlities. The service is excellent and they provide the modem. In my cty, the municipal utlities is an ISP.

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2000, 10:56 AM

if you have a hub already, all you need to do is hook the cable modem up to the uplink port. i have three macs and one pc on my hub with a cable modem hooked up to the uplink port.

Our service (RoadRunner) only gives one computer access to the DHCP server at any one time. You can buy extra IP addresses for $5/mo. for a second or third connection. I only have two computers that i use to access the 'net. from my one mac (os9), i can access my other macs(os9 and os8.1) via appletalk with no problem even though the one computer has an IP assigned by RR via DHCP and my macs have generic 192.168.0.x numbers assigned to them.

i am not sure about the printer but my guess is that it would work like before.

adam

Originally posted by athun:
I'm also due to receive access to cable internet service soon. I already have a 5 port Ethernet hub with an imac, Epson Pro XL printer and a Supermac S900 on the network. Can I just plug the provided cable modem into the hub or do I need to buy a cable/DSL router that I have seen other cable modem users talk about? What is the purpose of the router, I've seen some for as low as $77 recently. Thanks
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2000, 01:22 PM

What if you have Airport? The cable modem just plugs into the base station and then provides internet to any computer using that base station.... right?

-Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules