Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > am I doing something wrong?

am I doing something wrong?
shmerek
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2000, 08:14 PM

I have a rev B iMac running the updated OS 9 and it crashes like crazy, it always has 8.5 to the present What could be the cause of this? I have scanned for viruses, done low level formatting, zeroed all data... everything. Somedays I spend more time rebooting it that using it. What is the deal? Could I have got a dud? It seems to go in cycles of stable and then nutso crashing. Comments...

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2000, 09:56 PM

Is it just the mouse freezing? Try pluging the mouse directly into the computer.

Guy

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2000, 10:26 PM

What kind of error messages(if any) are you getting? Or is it just hanging? What apps are running mostly?

You might consider that the older firmware isn't quite compatible with some of the newer USB and inputsprocket stuff for a start, and work from there.

alpha centauri
Apr 22, 2000, 11:11 PM

I had a similar problem with my rev B after I updated to os 9. I tried tech tools and nortons utilities plus rebuilding the desktop and zapping the pram. What solved my problem was doing a clean system install which I should have done to start with.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2000, 02:01 AM

Most of the time everything just hangs. I will try plugging the mouse directly into the computer. I have 160 mbs of ram and a lot of the time I get errors messages 2 and 3. It crashes on all kinds of apps mostly when I am online Netscape Hotline etc. but then again it crashes when I am running Apple Works as well. I get the bomb too. I thought I updated the firmware I will look into that too. I will try what has been suggested so far and see how it goes.
thanks

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2000, 02:02 AM

WOOHOO!!! I am no longer a junior!!!!

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2000, 01:46 PM

I have a problem like that with a B&W G3, it was crashing non-stop with OS 9.0.4. I've decided next time I have the patience to reformat it I'll try installing 8.6, then upgrading to 9 if that's stable, then 9.0.4 if that works (always keeping a backup of the previous System Folder ready in case I need it).

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2000, 07:40 PM

I zapped my pram and my firmwae is all updated so should I do what Misha does and start back at 8.5 again?

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2000, 07:47 PM

Congratulations your not a Junior anymore?

I asked the question awhile back about upgrading, to be honest I think the furthest you need go is 8.6 or 8.5.1. There really isn't anything that great or new in 9 except the instability?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Forum Links
Forum Rules