Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic files not opening when doulble-clicked

Classic files not opening when doulble-clicked
amontague
Mar 12, 2002, 07:59 PM

Since re-partitioning and re-installing OS 10.1.3 onto my iMac, double-clicking on classic files no longer opens the files. To open the file I have to go to File -> Open... and navigate to the file. Painful.

I had backed-up all my files onto a second-mac while doing the re-install and I suspect that there may be some permission problems causing the issue, but I haven't been able to track down the cause.

I'd appreciate any help.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by amontague:
<STRONG>Since re-partitioning and re-installing OS 10.1.3 onto my iMac, double-clicking on classic files no longer opens the files. To open the file I have to go to File -&gt; Open... and navigate to the file. Painful.

I had backed-up all my files onto a second-mac while doing the re-install and I suspect that there may be some permission problems causing the issue, but I haven't been able to track down the cause.

I'd appreciate any help.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com</STRONG>
It is funny that 10.1.3 solved that problem for me, but caused it for many others. Anyway, I saw this posted a while back and you may want to try it.

Go to the library folder of your HOME folder and open the Preference folder.

Trash the three files beginning with LS. These are the classic preference files. LSApplications, LSClaimedTypes, LSSchemes.

I hope this helps.

Guy

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by amontague:
<STRONG>Since re-partitioning and re-installing OS 10.1.3 onto my iMac, double-clicking on classic files no longer opens the files. To open the file I have to go to File -&gt; Open... and navigate to the file. Painful.

I'd appreciate any help.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com</STRONG>
It is funny that 10.1.3 solved that problem for me, but caused it for many others. Anyway, I saw this posted a while back and you may want to try it.

Go to the library folder of your HOME folder and open the Preference folder.

Trash the three files beginning with LS. These are the classic preference files. LSApplications, LSClaimedTypes, LSSchemes.

I hope this helps.

Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules