Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PC Anywhere-ish for Mac?

PC Anywhere-ish for Mac?
ttoth
Aug 22, 2002, 06:19 PM

Is there something similar to PC Anywhere for the Mac? I'm running OS X and my parents are running OS 9.1. On occasion, actually on many occasions, they call me up for help on a particular problem they are having. I think it would be extremely efficient for me to be able to "log" into their computer and watch what they are doing when that are requesting help. I have a cable connection and they only have a dial-up so that may cause some problems as the IP addresses are not always the same. How feasible would something like this be and what do I need to set it up?

me
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 07:27 PM

First off, the IPs are never the same. Dial up is a huge problem as far as speed is concerned. VNC is quite feasable on a faster connection but I think not dial up. Perhaps timbucktu (sp)?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2002, 07:30 PM

Oh god no...dial-up would be so PAINFUL, trust me...I've tried over and over and get nowhere.

ttoth  (op)
Aug 22, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Oh god no...dial-up would be so PAINFUL, trust me...I've tried over and over and get nowhere.
Is it painful because it is so slow, or for other reasons? It's painful enough having to explain to parents (who have used the Mac OS for 10 years now) what the desktop is, if they are in the finder and how to quit an app rather than just close the window. I'm trying to determine what the level of pain would be.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by ttoth:

Is it painful because it is so slow, or for other reasons? It's painful enough having to explain to parents (who have used the Mac OS for 10 years now) what the desktop is, if they are in the finder and how to quit an app rather than just close the window. I'm trying to determine what the level of pain would be.
Sllloooooowwwwwww....imagine a turtle with 4 broken legs....that slow!

deharlow
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 12:21 AM

Timbuktu (http://netopia.com/en-us/software/pr...tb2/index.html) will work but it will be slow over dialup.

Daniel

Forum Links
Forum Rules