Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon has new ibook for $850 after rebate

Amazon has new ibook for $850 after rebate (Page 2)
troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
Now to find memory....
iBook Memory

Size Vendor Price
256MB MemoryToGo.com $40.00
256MB 18004Memory.com $49.00
256MB Crucial.com $49.00
512MB MemoryToGo.com $99.00
512MB 18004Memory.com $89.00
512MB Crucial.com $137.99
1024MB MemoryToGo.com $275.00
1024MB 18004Memory.com $249.00
1024MB Crucial.com $355.99
Troy Murray

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 03:51 PM

looks like they TOTALLY underestimated how popular the new iBook would be. Glad I downloaded the form before it vanished!!!!

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 06:37 PM

Has anyone here who has ordered the 12'' ibook under this deal received it yet? How long did it take to ship? It says 1-2 weeks, but is that exact/overestimate/underestimate?

limberger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 11:08 PM

My est. ship date is 11/22-11/24, and I believe it. I've ordered a bunch of stuff off of Amazon, and I've never had to wait longer than expected for it to ship/arrive.

Anyway, what a deal. Can't wait. This will be my first Mac laptop. :-D

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by limberger:
My est. ship date is 11/22-11/24, and I believe it. I've ordered a bunch of stuff off of Amazon, and I've never had to wait longer than expected for it to ship/arrive.

Grats! I can't wait Monday is the 1st day of my "estimated ship date". While I'm not holding my breath that it will ship on Monday there is always that possibility!
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

RichieZ
Nov 14, 2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by limberger:

funny i ordred on 11/1

here is my estimated ship date:
November 8, 2004 - November 22, 2004

i contacted amazon and the only thing they had to say was we believe we can meet the estimated delivery date of 11/30!

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by RichieZ:
funny i ordred on 11/1

here is my estimated ship date:
November 8, 2004 - November 22, 2004

i contacted amazon and the only thing they had to say was we believe we can meet the estimated delivery date of 11/30!
i ordered on 11/1 also and here is my estimated ship dates:
Shipping estimate: November 15, 2004 - November 22, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 17, 2004 - November 30, 200

Are their estimates based on your geographical location or do they just hand out random dates?

Has anyone had their iBook ship yet or their delievery estimates changed?
( Last edited by Centris650; Nov 14, 2004 at 12:49 PM. )

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 03:31 AM

hey guys i recently placed my order for my ibook through amazon on Oct. 30th. My shipping estimate is from Nov. 13-19, but it moved to the 12th last week. My delivery estimate is from Nov. 19-30. Hopefully amazon can ship out my ibook by this week! Any problems with ibook delays?? Oh yea i printed out the 150 rebate before it became obsolete! But now im seeing a rebate for $100?! Amazon better still honor the $150! What do you guys think?

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by idlewild27:
hey guys i recently placed my order for my ibook through amazon on Oct. 30th. My shipping estimate is from Nov. 13-19, but it moved to the 12th last week. My delivery estimate is from Nov. 19-30. Hopefully amazon can ship out my ibook by this week! Any problems with ibook delays?? Oh yea i printed out the 150 rebate before it became obsolete! But now im seeing a rebate for $100?! Amazon better still honor the $150! What do you guys think?
troymurray has put the old rebate up on his .mac site. Just download it and you should be set.

Originally posted by troymurray:
Hmm, never done this before, by try this....

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Centris650:
troymurray has put the old rebate up on his .mac site. Just download it and you should be set. [/QUOTe

Has anyone had their ibook shipped yet??

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 10:32 AM

Mine has yet to ship and I am closing in fast on my first shipping date.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by mrpuddles:
Mine has yet to ship and I am closing in fast on my first shipping date.
Mine hasn't shipped either. Yesterday was my first ship date and next Monday is my last estimated ship date. I've got a feeling mine won't ship until then. I guess we will see....

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Centris650:
Mine hasn't shipped either. Yesterday was my first ship date and next Monday is my last estimated ship date. I've got a feeling mine won't ship until then. I guess we will see....
Keep us updated on yours - I'm sure it will ship before mine...

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2004, 03:00 PM

I ordered my 12" On Saturday Night... It shipped out Yesterday.

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
I ordered my 12" On Saturday Night... It shipped out Yesterday.
I'm assuming that you didn't order from Amazon and chose J&R or Office Depot instead? If you ordered from Amazon, what type of shipping did you pick? Did you get the 1.0 or the 1.2 that we are talking about?

Sorry about all the Q's, just curious.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2004, 11:09 AM

I ordered mine on Saturday night, too, and it shipped out yesterday.

I ordered from Amazon -- not one of the partners -- and got the 12" with the 1.2Ghz processor...

RichieZ
Nov 17, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by John123:
I ordered mine on Saturday night, too, and it shipped out yesterday.

I ordered from Amazon -- not one of the partners -- and got the 12" with the 1.2Ghz processor...
weird i ordred on 11/1 and its still not shipped. Maybe they are shipping out the orders placed after they put up the $100 rebate instead of hte $150 in hopes that we'll cancel.

I'm sure you'll send in the $150 rebate tho, they probalby have to pay it out

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2004, 12:02 PM

what!? they have alrady shipped yours that fast?? I ordered my ibook on Oct. 30th! My last estimated shipment day is this friday the 19th, but still no word. I've also emailed amazon and they said that they are expecting to ship it by my estimated ship date. Hmm they also mentioned alot about super saving shipper option taking longer than if i were to choose standard shipping. Well which option did you guys choose?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2004, 12:12 PM

I chose Super Saver too.

I think the explanation about the $150 rebate is probably what is going on here...they'll ship em, but only if you wait long enough...but they figure people who are ordering now aren't doing that $150 rebate.

My guess is that they are losing money on the $150 deal and it was a big mistake on their part. It's just not a high-margin item.

RichieZ
Nov 17, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by John123:
I chose Super Saver too.

I think the explanation about the $150 rebate is probably what is going on here...they'll ship em, but only if you wait long enough...but they figure people who are ordering now aren't doing that $150 rebate.

My guess is that they are losing money on the $150 deal and it was a big mistake on their part. It's just not a high-margin item.
those bastards! I'll wait as long as it takes!

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2004, 10:07 PM

those bastards! I'll wait as long as it takes!
lol! Same here! I'm not budging now!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
lol! Same here! I'm not budging now!
What about logistics being a reason? For those whose iBooks have shipped, what state are you in? If you review your tracking info, what state are they coming from?
Troy Murray

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2004, 11:18 AM

Coming out of TX to DC.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 12:23 PM

yes finally, mine shipped out last night from Dallas, TX to CA. Should arrive by monday! Can't wait!

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 12:32 PM

yes finally, mine shipped out last night from Dallas, TX to CA. Should arrive by monday! Can't wait!
ALRIGHT! Some hope! I ordered mine on the 1st so maybe mine will ship Friday! Let us know when it arrives.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 12:33 PM

Glad to hear it, I see you ordered yours on 10/30, doesn't seem to be any method to Amazon's madness with shipping these units.
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 12:34 PM

<jedi_mind_trick>
Amazon.com wants to ship out my iBook. . . you want to do it now!
</jedi_mind_trick>
Troy Murray

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 01:17 PM

I've been following this thread and finally pulled the trigger for a 12" iBook (after saving the $150 rebate coupon and having the iBook sitting in my shopping cart for a week). I "splurged" for standard shipping which is negated by the a9.com discount.

Shipping estimate is tomorrow (the 19th), with delivery estimate the 22nd-29th.

This will be my first viable laptop (a friend gave me an old Wallstreet with no working ethernet - no fun running Panther). Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the rebate.

The cool thing is that this iBook and my new 20" Cinema Display are paid for by selling 50 shares of AAPL at $52.90. My last buys were 50 shares at $13 and 50 at $16.

Thanks, Steve!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 01:22 PM

The cool thing is that this iBook and my new 20" Cinema Display are paid for by selling 50 shares of AAPL at $52.90. My last buys were 50 shares at $13 and 50 at $16.[/B]
Good job. I had thought about buying AAPL stock right before iTunes for Windows was released, think the price was around $19 at the time, but didn't. Looking back.....
Troy Murray

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 03:11 PM

You all have to be kidding me. I ordered mine Thursday night and it says that I won't get it until December 1-9. I'm even in Texas - where they seem to be shipping them from!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 04:06 PM

So I just received an email from Amazon.com, no, not a shipping notice, but a notice that my credit card was declined. The ironic part is this is a BRAND NEW AMAZON.COM VISA credit card that I applied for when I made the purchase. To make things a little stranger, the printer I ordered with my notebook has already been billed to the VISA and I have received it! Now THAT is crazy.

Anyway, I called the Amazon.com VISA service, they said something about this happens with all new accounts due to some fraud protection and the accounted would be OK'd for the order to complete.

Strange but true. Bottom line, I guess, is if you signed up for the Amazon.com VISA card you might want to call them and make sure this doesn't happen to you and hold up your iBook.
Troy Murray

knilob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 04:39 PM

I know it's pretty much the 11th hour to try to get in on this deal, but I still have a couple of days. I was looking at the rebate and it said that all orders must be shipped from Amazon.com. Whenever I click on the 12" iBook to put it in my cart it says that it's coming from J&R Music and Computer. I guess this is how Amazon is getting around the rebate snafu. There's no way to get that item from Amazon directly.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 04:43 PM

Yup, use to be on the right-hand side of the page you could select different vendors to purchase from, including Amazon.com, but it looks like J&R is all that is left. You might try back tomorrow to see if Amazon.com is listed again. This happened once before during this promotion.
Troy Murray

RichieZ
Nov 18, 2004, 04:45 PM

So I just received an email from Amazon.com, no, not a shipping notice, but a notice that my credit card was declined. The ironic part is this is a BRAND NEW AMAZON.COM VISA credit card that I applied for when I made the purchase. To make things a little stranger, the printer I ordered with my notebook has already been billed to the VISA and I have received it! Now THAT is crazy.

Anyway, I called the Amazon.com VISA service, they said something about this happens with all new accounts due to some fraud protection and the accounted would be OK'd for the order to complete.

Strange but true. Bottom line, I guess, is if you signed up for the Amazon.com VISA card you might want to call them and make sure this doesn't happen to you and hold up your iBook.
my goodness this just happened to me to! I hope they still ship it today or tomorrow

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 04:49 PM

my goodness this just happened to me to! I hope they still ship it today or tomorrow
I'm not holding my breath for that. E-mail I was sent said they would retry it tomorrow and for the next three business days. I tried the "Retry credit card" on the My Account Orders page, but I keep getting the message:

Important Message
Your request is missing information or needs correcting. Please fix the areas indicated below. When you are done, please press the Confirm button to send your information again.

The problem is THERE ARE NO AREAS INDICATED BELOW TO FIX! This is EXTREMELY FUSTRATING!

Guess I'll have to wait until it automatically does it for me tommorrow, which means another day before it ships out.

On the upside though, it means it's ready to ship as they don't bill the credit card until right before they ship! So just think happy thoughts that your unit will ship tomorrow and not today, happy thoughts, happy thought....
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 06:11 PM

Call 1-800-201-7575 for Amazon.com customer service, provide the credit card number over the phone and that should process your order.
Troy Murray

RichieZ
Nov 18, 2004, 06:31 PM

Call 1-800-201-7575 for Amazon.com customer service, provide the credit card number over the phone and that should process your order.
i resubmitted my credit card after calling the 800 number for the amazon credit card, now my ibook is preparing for shipment!!!!

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 09:20 PM

I saw online that the ibook now ships within 24-hours. So, I called customer service to ask and they upgraded my shipping to free 2-day shipping... here is my new results

Old:
Shipping estimate: November 24, 2004 - December 1, 2004
Delivery estimate: December 1, 2004 - December 9, 2004

New:
Shipping estimate: November 19, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 23, 2004

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 10:39 PM

BTW... everyone w/ the massive delays are those that chose supersaver shipping. They will upgrade the shipping for free - by request.

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:00 AM

This is great... thank you guys!

I just called and said that a friend of mine got the same order as mine moved to 2 shipping and that I was hoping that the same courtesy would be extended to my order. {had he refused, then the real complaining would have started]

But he did! I'm so Freaking Happy!!!!

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:34 AM

oh yes, ibook coming on monday! hey guys for the Amazon $150 rebate, what do we exactly need to send in?? The rebate of course, a copy of the upc?? or the real upc?? and the packing slip?? is that the slip inside of the box?? Can't you send in the invoice instead?? If you guys could fill me in that would be great.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by history1me:
This is great... thank you guys!

I just called and said that a friend of mine got the same order as mine moved to 2 shipping and that I was hoping that the same courtesy would be extended to my order. {had he refused, then the real complaining would have started]

But he did! I'm so Freaking Happy!!!!
I just did the same thing but the couldn't upgrade mine becasue it was already prepared to ship. She did refund me the shipping cost of $14.50! So this iBook will cost me, out of pocket, $5.50!

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 09:12 AM

oh yes, ibook coming on monday! hey guys for the Amazon $150 rebate, what do we exactly need to send in?? The rebate of course, a copy of the upc?? or the real upc?? and the packing slip?? is that the slip inside of the box?? Can't you send in the invoice instead?? If you guys could fill me in that would be great.
The Rebate Form says to send
1) Completed Rebate
2) COPY of packing slip as proof of purchase
3) COPY of the original UPC code from the product package

No Originals needed!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 10:10 AM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My iBook AND printer just arrived! 5 days from Amazon.... they're the best!!!!!

knilob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 01:24 PM

I'm glad you all are getting you're iBooks. I wish I'd have looked at this thread a couple of weeks ago. It looks like now I won't be able to get an iBook directly from Amazon which nullifies the $150 rebate. I'm going to check again tomorrow to see if I can find one that will ship from Amazon directly.

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 03:08 PM

Keep an eye out - I have seen Amazon listed... but it happens throughout the day.

RichieZ
Nov 19, 2004, 03:14 PM

Yes I just got it delivered, heck amazon.com doesn't even say its been shipped. I love it, its my frist mac!

Only problem is that it doesn't recognize my ram, I stuck in a 512MB samsung PC2100 SODIMM, but it still says only 256MB of ram. I guess i'll be heading over to the Apple store soon. WOOOOOOOO

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 04:15 PM

Yes I just got it delivered, heck amazon.com doesn't even say its been shipped.
Are you saying that you've received the iBook and according to Amazon it hasn't even shipped yet?
Troy Murray

BenG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 04:20 PM

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned. I placed the iBook in my shopping cart, and made sure I was pruchasing from Amazon, not one of the other folks. Now, when I click the link in my order status, it only brings up the page with the other merchants on it.

I do have the 1-2 week estimated ship time, and it was ellgible for free shipping (which the merchants aren't) and it had no mention of coming from a merchant... I hope I don't get screwed out of the rebate...

Ben

RichieZ
Nov 19, 2004, 04:25 PM

Are you saying that you've received the iBook and according to Amazon it hasn't even shipped yet?
that is correct, still says:

Shipment #2: Shipping Soon We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed. Need information on

but i have it right here in my hands! I love my new ibook!

EDIT: WOOO got the ram working, i was stupid and didn't seat it correctly, i must say though the the ram slot is in a horrible locaiton under the keyboard adn then under the mini pci slot and a "ram shield"

EDIT2: woo screen hack enable, i love this laptop
( Last edited by RichieZ; Nov 19, 2004 at 06:01 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules