Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon Denies iBook Rebate Claim......uh oh

Amazon Denies iBook Rebate Claim......uh oh
jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 10:18 AM

Hi all... I was one of the first to take delivery... and submit my rebate form... for the 12" iBook at Amazon. Today, I got an email stating the rebate is not valid for the 12" so the $150 claim was denied... although it CLEARLY states on the rebate form "12" M9623LL/A"

I called and they're looking in to it...... keep an eye out for an email... hopefully this was just a mistake!

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 11:48 AM

wow, that sucks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 02:03 PM

I hope this isn't a case of too good to be true.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 03:51 PM

Has any one else tried this? I think they should honor it since they posted the rebate on their website.

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 06:26 PM

I thought it need it to be postmarked 12/20/04 or so?

Did I read that right? or was I smoking something?

RichieZ
Dec 9, 2004, 03:55 PM

any updates on the situation?

And to ppl who sent in the rebates, has it shown up on rebatestatus.com yet?

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 07:07 PM

yeah I'm pretty curious too since this was one of the reasons I bought one

RichieZ
Dec 14, 2004, 03:22 AM

update?

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2004, 10:36 AM

Sorry everyone.... I just got an update... apparently there is a problem at Amazon where only the 14" is being given the rebate. I showed them that the 12" is also on the rebate form and the person claimed the check would be here in a couple days. That was over a week ago. Guess I'll have to call back.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 11:04 AM

The people you spoke with may have been looking at the second version of the rebate:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...4.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and got confused. I don't think Amazon would be trying to squirm out of paying. Well I hope not, because I should have $150 coming my way soon!
â•­1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
â•°2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 04:56 PM

Damn, I got my ibook through the same rebate, I still have the a copy of the form on my comp. This better not be a bait and switch crap or I'm gonna be pissed. The first ibook they sent me Kernel panicked everytime I tried to update the software.

one sick puppy
Dec 14, 2004, 09:30 PM

I have three words for yous:

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 10:25 PM

wow amazon would have the balls to do such a scam?? I waited for my ibook for over a month for the damn thing to ship. the least they can do is honor a rebate which is by all means valid. I've been checking the amazon.rebatestatus.com site, still no sign of my rebate. How long does this usually take. I know the avg. is 6-8 weeks I suppose. And whats the number to amazon, just in case.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 02:33 PM

Just received a rebate status email.

Rejected.

"We are currently unable to approve your rebate for the reason listed below.

The sales receipt you submitted did not demonstrate purchase of the product required for the rebate."

Guess I'll be calling them.

Like most of us, the $150 rebate was the deciding factor in getting my iBook at this particular time from this particular vendor.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Briareus:

Rejected.

The sales receipt you submitted did not demonstrate purchase of the product required for the rebate."

Like most of us, the $150 rebate was the deciding factor in getting my iBook at this particular time from this particular vendor.
wow, that sucks.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Briareus:

Rejected.

Hey when you got your ibook did you get a receipt of some kind or order invoice in the box or something? All I got was the ibook, no sales receipt (unless you count the invoice off Amazon's website) no nothing.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 04:16 PM

I received a packing slip or invoice in my box with my iBook
Troy Murray

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
I received a packing slip or invoice in my box with my iBook
Damn, does this mean I'm screwed out of my rebate?
I guess it would be a great way for Amazon to get out of it, just don't put in a document that the buyer needs to get the rebate.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:
Damn, does this mean I'm screwed out of my rebate?
I guess it would be a great way for Amazon to get out of it, just don't put in a document that the buyer needs to get the rebate.
printing out the online amazon.com receipt suffices for rebate purposes. beware of rebatestatus.com tho -- they take forever and will feed you blatantly made-up check numbers and the like to keep you at bay.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2004, 06:40 PM

Your web invoice is the same thing as a bill of sale. If it says you got a 12" iBook, and the rebate was for a 12" iBook, then you're covered.

Have you actually spoken to a human being at Amazon? "Look here, the rebate form said it covered 12" iBooks, I bought one from you, and now you won't honor the rebate. What kind of customer service is that?"

Yes, go for their jugular, especially at this time of year! Take the position that some idiot in some Amazon office has hosed up, and they WILL honor that rebate, just as soon as they understand that they've made a mistake.

Always be polite, but frustrated is fine-even exasperated-but ALWAYS polite. Remember; the person on the phone with you will help you, but they have a stressful job and there are tons of jerks out there making their lives miserable. YOU are different. YOU are nice. YOU know that these things happen, and you just want to get it straightened out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
Your web invoice is the same thing as a bill of sale. If it says you got a 12" iBook, and the rebate was for a 12" iBook, then you're covered.

Have you actually spoken to a human being at Amazon? "Look here, the rebate form said it covered 12" iBooks, I bought one from you, and now you won't honor the rebate. What kind of customer service is that?"

Yes, go for their jugular, especially at this time of year! Take the position that some idiot in some Amazon office has hosed up, and they WILL honor that rebate, just as soon as they understand that they've made a mistake.

Always be polite, but frustrated is fine-even exasperated-but ALWAYS polite. Remember; the person on the phone with you will help you, but they have a stressful job and there are tons of jerks out there making their lives miserable. YOU are different. YOU are nice. YOU know that these things happen, and you just want to get it straightened out.
Correct. Your official invoice is probably online. The only paper in the shipment was probably a packing slip. I also agree that you should talk to an actual person. If the rebate claims to include your item, they can't refuse it. You could even send them a copy of it if it comes down to that.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 05:14 PM

hey how long did it take for you guys to get a reply from amazon or rebatestatus.com after you sent the rebate?? Ive been waiting for awhile now still, no word.

Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 06:55 PM

I know this is going to sound silly, but just a thought. I didn't order any of the iBooks but was seriously considering one for church so when the rebates were in effect I priced out a 12" and a 14". And what happened is that I, without noticing, clicked on the Add to Cart from another vendor. Since Amazon wasn't the only one of the vendors on the right side of the page. So check your packing slips and make sure that you got your iBooks from Amazon and not from a diferent vendor.

God luck everyone.
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 09:30 PM

I am waiting for it. How long it takes?

SuhasG

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2004, 02:19 PM

It sounds like they are just denying all of them or something... who knows why...

HOWEVER... I received my check for $150.00 in the mail this weekend.... so I'm a happy camper!!!! Just call Amazon, explain they are WRONG, and in about 2 weeks you'll get a check.

RichieZ
Dec 20, 2004, 04:43 PM

does anybodys rebate show up online? Mine doesn't, and I haven't gotten any emails about it.

GRRR

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2004, 03:36 PM

If Amazon does refuse to honor a rebate the next step after speaking with an Amazon representative would be to contact the Washington state Attorney General's office and file a complaint with them or another state office that handles consumer fraud. The AG's office will tell you the steps involved.

Take notes of any phone conversations and be sure to get names and dates correct. Also keep copies of e-mail or snail mail from Amazon, as well as your receipt and rebate forms. This will be important if you file a claim against Amazon. And as mentioned earlier, Be Polite in all your dealings with Amazon. Nastiness will get you nowhere fast...

Forget a class-action suit. There are probably not enough "victims" and a suit requires lawyers, lots of time and the possibility that the settlement will amount to nothing more than an Amazon coupon good for future purchases and a ton of bucks for the lawyers...

If Amazon flat-out refuses to honor a rebate I would mention that you will be contacting the attorney general's office; you might be surprised and get a more positive response from Amazon. But use this tactic as a last resort.
( Last edited by Mojo; Dec 24, 2004 at 03:45 PM. )

RichieZ
Jan 4, 2005, 02:57 PM

i called again, and they siad I sould have a check in 10-14 business days. I'll believe it when I see it

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 03:07 PM

My rebate still hasn't show up on rebatestatus.com and I sent it in the first week of December. Has anyone sent their rebate in after the first week of December and received a check yet?
Troy Murray

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2005, 01:44 PM

Rejection email here too.

Edit: Just got off the phone with them. The woman I spoke with was quite pleasant. Sounds like it is being taken care of.
( Last edited by John123; Jan 5, 2005 at 01:57 PM. )

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 05:16 PM

what number are you guys calling? Ive sent my rebate in before thanksgving and no word on it's status. I would like to call them if i had a number. thanks

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 08:39 PM

Same here, rejection status on the website

What number are you guys calling to get this taken care of?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 10:27 PM

What a crock of $hit.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

hey did amazon give any reason on why you guys are getting rejected? this is getting ridicoulous.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 12:16 AM

The number is on the email that you get. or on the rebate form itself.

Just be really nice. They didn't give me a reason, but reading between the lines, I am guessing that they setup their database with the 2nd form's data....so when they go to look at the image of your submission (probably stored elsewhere), they see that and honor it.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 12:39 AM

One more question. Has anyone here actually recieved their $150 rebate??

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by idlewild27:
One more question. Has anyone here actually recieved their $150 rebate??
Not yet. Purchased in November.
â•­1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
â•°2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 01:47 PM

I got shocked when I called them yesterday about my 12" iBook rebate status. They said no didn't recieve it. I have proof of posting it to them as well as USPS delivery confirmation. So they asked me to fax everything again!

SUhas

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 04:18 AM

Yes same here, I called them up and they told me that they never recieved it!? They said there was no account under my name. I sent the rebate in like 6 weeks ago. Well I gave them a call and told them my situation. The customer service rep. said that she would make me an account , luckily i made copies of everything. Well she said i should check my status in about a week or so... I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. sigh

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 06:36 PM

They haven't emailed me about mine yet. I made sure and made copies of everything and sent it via certified mail. Hopefully we all get our $150 that they promised us.

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hi guys... ordered mine late november, got it first week of december. I started this post as Amazon "denied" my rebate... something about the product not being part of the warranty. I called them and received the check less than a week later. If you still haven't received yours, I'd call and tell them. I got mine within 2 weeks of receiving the iBook.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 03:24 PM

I hate rebates.

I always assume that I won't get my rebate. If it's not a good deal WITHOUT the rebate then I don't buy. Simple.

If I happen to actually get the rebate then I'm pleasantly surprised. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2005, 05:06 PM

I finally got around to calling them & yes, everything I submitted is correct and they said it should have gone through with no problems. I should have my $150 rebate in less than 2 weeks.

Glitch in the system, I guess.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
My rebate still hasn't show up on rebatestatus.com and I sent it in the first week of December. Has anyone sent their rebate in after the first week of December and received a check yet?
This morning I finally received an e-mail from Amazon saying that they've received my rebate and it's being processed. I had all but given up on it.
Troy Murray

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 02:05 PM

Yes same here got an email that they recieved mt rebate, although i knew this prior to the email. Well sent out my rebate thanksgving week, just waiting for it to process now. Do you guys know how long this process could take??

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 08:36 PM

I mailed my Rebate on 24 Nov, when I called them on 6th Jan they said they didn't recieve it so I faxed everything to them. Today ( 20Th Jan) I got an email saying that they recieved my rebate and it is being processed.

When I log to amazon.rebatestatus.com and enter last name, zip etc it shows nothing but if I use the link provided in the email it shows all details such as submission id, rebate value etc and status : processing!

How long it takes ? Does it mean that they accepted the rebate submission and the processing means preparing the check?

Suhas

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 04:47 AM

Yes same situation here! How long does it take for the rebate to move on to the next level?? After processing, or does this mean that I have already been cleared for a check? Thanks

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 02:16 PM

Today I received an email from rebatestatus.com saying:

"Dear Amazon Consumer:

Thank you for submitting the necessary documentation via fax. We have
reviewed the documents that you provided and are pleased to inform you
that your rebate is currently being processed.

Your rebate check will be issued and mailed to you within 10-14
business days ."

So it seems that thigs are moving !

SUhas

Ag3ntS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 05:35 PM

I had to call Amazon, but my check eventually got here.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by SuhasG:
Today I received an email from rebatestatus.com saying:

"Dear Amazon Consumer:

Thank you for submitting the necessary documentation via fax. We have
reviewed the documents that you provided and are pleased to inform you
that your rebate is currently being processed.

Your rebate check will be issued and mailed to you within 10-14
business days ."

So it seems that thigs are moving !

SUhas
I've not gotten any email rejection letters or any confirmation emails either. I finally had to go online to check my rebate status. It says it's being processed. Sigh.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

Forum Links
Forum Rules