Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Moving my iMac from theU.K. to Canada

Moving my iMac from theU.K. to Canada
tups
Sep 10, 2000, 04:02 AM

Hello to everybody in the forum.
I've been reading this forum since I bought my blueberry iMac DV in Dec. 99. I must say I love it. I even love my Hockey puck mouse. I'm a novice and had no concept of how a mouse is supposed to be held, so find it quit easy and natural. I was like so many other sad unknowing souls looking to chuck away my money on a P C. Fate took a hand and I stumbeled on the iMac. I knew there and then it was what I wanted. It had everything I needed in a package so perfict I couldn't Believe it, and I didn't even know about the opperating system yet!!! Although I have not needed to post untill now this forum has been both useful and fun to and I have learned a lot, not least of which what a fab funky comunity we mac users are lucky enough to enjoy. My iMac has never given me a problem since I bought it. However now I have a problem and I'm looking for help. I currently live in the U.K. and am planning a move to Canada. Funds are going to be very tight and if I don't take anything else I want my iMac! So finally to my question. Does anyone know if this is possible? Any and all thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time and look forward to your replys. catch ya on the flip side, tups

Aussiemac
Sep 10, 2000, 04:29 AM

im not sure but if the voltage of power is different in UK to Canada then all you need is a transformer from any electronics shop to ajust the power for your imac, and in the control panels, in the keyboard control panel you just declick the british layout and click the canadian layout .

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2000, 06:47 AM

The iMac power supply automatically adjusts to any voltage between 100 - 240 volts AC. All you will need is a new power cord, or an adapter for the plug. HTH

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2000, 11:38 AM

As long as you can get it here in good condition, you won't even know you left home!

Aussiemac would have no reason to know this - but one of the little delights that Apple gave us is, that if you click on the Canadian layout, all your times, dates, numbers etc will be in French - some programmer at Cupertino got our percentages wrong - it's 75% english and 25% french. You can change the settings in your Control Panels to overcome this.

Welcome to Canada, pleased to have you join us!

WDL

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2000, 08:40 PM

You'll be OK as long as you remember to drive your iMac on the right side of the road.

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2000, 10:30 PM

The only other possible bug is if you have a DVD player... you'll be changing "Zones"... so if you're looking at DVD movies that you bought in the UK and that you want to buy some more here (in Canada) you wont be able to play them without first resseting your DVD drive.

AusRob
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2000, 03:11 AM

Apart from the voltage issue (which seems not to be an issue) why change anything apart from the time. Like the man said 75% english 25% french so uless you speak french you may as well leave all your settings as they are. There can't be that much difference between all the english speaking nations.

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2000, 01:16 AM

I am a veteran of this...sort of.

I was visiting the USA in 1998 when the first iMac went on sale. I pre-ordered one and picked it up on August 16. I live and work in Japan, so how would I get my new iMac to Japan was a big issue.

I eventually decided to take mine with me on the plane. It was much cheaper to check in an extra piece of luggage than it was to send the iMac via a shipping company. (If you are shipping furniture and other large items via a shipping company, then your iMac should be fine.)

Computer hardware ships just fine, but monitors can be funky. So this is the point where you need to exercise special care. The check-in agent had my iMac taken by "Sky Cap" (porter I guess) to the plane and arranged to have it "Sky Capped" off the plane when I landed in Japan. This way, the iMac wouldn't have to endure the torture of the luggage handlers.

This summer I got an iMac DV+. I checked in late, so there was no time to "Sky Cap" the DV+ to the plane. This made a HUGE difference. Whereas the box of my iMac came through without a scratch, the box of the DV+ ended up with a few scratches. It does seem to be fine, though.

As a precaution, you may want to place the iMac in its original box and then place this inside a slightly larger box with additional packing materials.

iMacs ship with either 100-240 or a 110-240 volt power supply, so you do not have to worry about that. If you have purchased an AirPort card, you may need to get a new one as the specifications for the radio frequencey may be different. (Of course if you have the base station, there is no need to worry.)

------------------
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

tups
Sep 12, 2000, 02:07 AM

wow, thanks for the tips everybody.
it's so cool to think i can take my little bluey when i can't even take my tv !
thanks again tups...

p.s. do you think this move would also work with my printer and scanner, i have a epson 740i & a snapscan 1212u.

cheers!

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2000, 04:29 PM

When I brought my computer from the UK to Italy I found a problem with the modem. It worked but my ISP never recognised it. It wasn't a problem with the dialling tones but the set up of the modem it's self. In the end I swapped it for a local one and that fixed the problem. Maybe between the UK and Canada there won't however be the same problem
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

bryh28
Sep 12, 2000, 06:23 PM

Building on the advice of Osaka Bill....

My wifes uncle used to work at Heathrow Airport as an engineer on the conveyor belts moving luggage across the terminals. Did you know that these lines travel at up to 40 mph!

Methinks some seriously heavy duty packing might be in order!!

More of a problem might be..will your airplane have any petrol?

Bryh

Kool
Sep 13, 2000, 09:31 AM

To Mike Pither

There is also an application on the MacOS cdrom you got with your iMac that let you choose in which country you are. There are different setups for some countries.

Forum Links
Forum Rules