Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > prospective purchase

prospective purchase
werf
Sep 2, 2000, 03:34 PM

hate webtv. buying an i-mac.
need advice on what model as
well as ram. don't need a dvd.
thanks

ctpeterson
Sep 2, 2000, 03:51 PM

Go for a DV, it is only $999 and you get the firewire. Up the RAM to at least 128MB just to have enough. It comes in three nice colors!

[This message has been edited by ctpeterson (edited 09-02-2000).]
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

roders
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2000, 04:02 PM

Depends what you want to do with your iMac, if you want to do DV, or connect Hi-speed CD burners andother high speed pheripherals, get the normal DV (ie not the DV+, which comes with DVD, though for me, there's not much point watching one on a 15" screen) but if you don't care about FireWire, get the starter iMac.
The only upgrade you'll need for you iMac is Ram, 128MB total Ram should be "okay" for most things.

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 09-02-2000).]

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2000, 04:50 PM

We never get tired of this question around here, but the answer is always the same. As Roders said, it depends on what you want to do. It also depends on what you want to spend. Tell us what you would like to do now, and might want to do in the future. Tell us why you are unhappy with WebTV. From a few small seeds (of info) a mighty thread will grow. Good luck.

werf
Sep 2, 2000, 06:09 PM

webtv is to limited and very slow. it is geared toward television , not internet. as far as what i want to do, i have no idea. i thought ideas would come after i bought it. i do some daytrading. connections are so slow. i woul like full exposure to internet, not 50%...thanks

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2000, 08:25 PM

If you're not going to be dong wireless networking, then get the cheapest iMac, for $799. It's relatively slower than the others, at only 350MHz, but the difference between that and 400MHz, the next lowest, is minimal, and you pay an extra $200 for that (and for being wireless-ready).

I'd also urge you not to sign up with AOL as your ISP. There are some software problems, of which I really haven't had firsta hand experience. But I did try one of AOL free offers with an old Mac (a 7200, running Os 7.5, which didn't lead to the software conflicts I've heard about with more recent OS versions). My sense was that going on the web via AOL was like seeing things through a veil, darkly.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

werf
Sep 2, 2000, 09:03 PM

ok. its now available. good deal for openers. i know about aol.

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2000, 10:21 PM

Actually, the $200 step between the iMac 350 and the DV not only gets you a marginally faster processor and Airport capability, but also Firewire, video out and 3 extra GBs of HD. This is not a bad deal for the money. However, I agree with yoyo. You don't sound like you really need any of this. Many millions of us are using and enjoying Macs with lesser specs than the $799 machine. I would add at least another 64MB of RAM to the machine, though.

The main problem with AOL is that, since you do not need any of AOL's special content, it is just a crowded middleman between you and the internet. Better to select an ISP that connects you directly to the internet. Factors to consider are subscriber to port ratio, availability of multiple email addresses, news groups or personal web space (if you want any of these), and, of course, price. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

dilleet
Sep 3, 2000, 01:06 AM

Also keep in mind that neither AOL or Compuserves internet protocol will work with the Airport Base Station
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2000, 07:19 AM

Don't buy what you wont use!

I got the cheapest slot loading iMac 350 to use on the net and for other leisure pursuits - period.

I don't need to make movies, set up a recording studio etc.

Don't pay for bells you won't ring and whistles you won't blow!

WDL

werf
Sep 3, 2000, 07:27 AM

is the extra 64ram absolutely necessary? can it be added later? anybody know about juno(9.95 mo.)?

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2000, 09:30 AM

No, the extra memory is not absolutely necessary and, yes, you can add it later. The extra memory only affests how many applications you can run at once and certain memory intensive programs like high end graphics or games. Start with the basic 64 MB and see how it goes. Browsers typically do better with more than just their suggested size, but you should still have enough. All the iMacs come with one empty RAM slot and adding memory is easy. If you need more, check sites like http://www.ramseeker.com for much better prices then you will see in the catalogs. WDL is right. There is no point in buying anything until you actually need it. Even the base iMac 350 is a big step up from WebTV. Good luck.

T.Rex
Sep 3, 2000, 04:47 PM

I agree with the advise previously given, with only a thought provoking add-on. I keep hearing people say that the DVD is pointless on the iMac's 15" screen. Unless you are in a dorm, or a very small room, I think that's true. But, by using Focus Enhancement's iTView DV you can throw the image onto any TV screen. I got mine for less than $100 and it works perfectly. Compare that to the price of a DVD player and I think the DVD equipped iMacs become a much better value. You also get a faster processor and a much larger hard drive. Also, If you have, or will have in the future (& I think most of us will) a broadband connection to the net, I've noticed webcasts are getting faster and better all the time. I have a cable modem and was able to see Steve Jobs' recent keynote at MacWorld NY with some pretty amazing quality (for a webcast!) full-screen video and sound from my easy chair and my 50" Mitsubishi. And if you care about such things, we are now seeing local college football games being webcast exclusively. Also, you can add Connectix's Virtual Game Station software and your iMac becomes a game console for your TV. Not bad for a $100 gizmo.

I think Apple should really add the iTView's capabilities into the DVD equipped iMacs, but until then Focus' solution works perfectly. Maybe next revision?

werf
Sep 3, 2000, 11:04 PM

thanks for the advice

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2000, 11:36 PM

anybody know about juno(9.95 mo.)?
Juno only offers service for the Windows platform.

Forum Links
Forum Rules