Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Orbital theme stuff...

View Poll Results: What to do with Orbital Variation?
Poll Options:
Forget it, not necessary 3 votes (5.26%)
Make it a Cappuccino variant 39 votes (68.42%)
Make it a Digital Device variant 5 votes (8.77%)
What is an Orbital? 10 votes (17.54%)
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
Orbital theme stuff...
swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 20, 2004, 09:38 PM

So I got about fifteen minutes into the Orbital Cappuccino variant and realized a few things.

1.It looks VERY similar to Digital Device
2.Is there really a need for the Orbital variant when Digital Device is already available?

So let me know your thoughts by the Poll above.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 09:51 PM

Screenshots?

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 09:53 PM

i second the screenshots request.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 20, 2004, 10:14 PM

The original Orbital theme is actually kind of hard to find screenies of now but I found this:
Orbital

Digital Device

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 10:22 PM

i think that it looks different enough to make itself its own theme. i really don't see that many similarities between the two, but i'm sure i'm just seeing part of Orbital. i'd say go with it, try to make it not so much like Digital Device, even though i don't see the similarities.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 10:27 PM

I say make it it's own theme too.
click one

quandarry
Mar 20, 2004, 10:54 PM

man that digital device theme is homely.

anything would be better.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
man that digital device theme is homely.

anything would be better.
Isn't this type of callous, unconstructive response the reason why you keep your themes to yourself?

Refrain from posting if your only goal is to attempt to demean someone. Especially given the fact that the author hasn't attacked you.

Edit: On topic - Yes, I'd like to see the Orbital theme finished as a standalone kit.

quandarry
Mar 20, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Isn't this type of callous, unconstructive response the reason why you keep your themes to yourself?

Refrain from posting if your only goal is to attempt to demean someone. Especially given the fact that the author hasn't attacked you.

hehe...now i'm not allowed to have a free will. as long as you agree it's ok...if not please don't post my opinion. should i pm you first and ask your permission. i take it your feelings were hurt. sorry for that...i didn't realize you were a pablum eater.

<edit><added> you are right in a way about the bluntness of the people about their opinions on their distaste on a theme...i was like you once and it didn't work.

keep cummin'...i feel like a good joust.

gawd it is a butt ugly theme...you made me realize it even more. keep on derailing the thread bucko.
( Last edited by quandarry; Mar 20, 2004 at 11:31 PM. )

Quentin Fountai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 11:20 PM

Although this is my very first post in these forums, I am a frequent visitor and aside from BBX Omega this (Orbital) is the one theme I have been waiting for. Please make this theme a reality for OS X. As for it being similar to Digital Device... I just don't see it. If you happen to mean the simplicity and minimalist feel of it, then yes, but as for overall look and feel... Uh uh. I love Digital Device as I love minimalist themes, but I feel that Orbital is the most polished look of most of the themes out there as far as minimalist design is concerned. Just my personal opinion of course. But all this to say, please port it. I for one, would be greatly appreciative...

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 11:21 PM

Um you should be careful when saying things like "keep cummin" because some people with dirty minds might think you are talking about something COMPLETELY different...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 11:29 PM

man that digital device theme is homely. anything would be better.

Now I don't feel so bad about idiots calling my theme ugly if even that amazing theme gets flack from the unwashed masses.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

quandarry
Mar 20, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Now I don't feel so bad about idiots calling my theme ugly if even that amazing theme gets flack from the unwashed masses.
it comes with the job...you will always get negative opinions about anything and everything...the big part is that you don't feel you have to defend yours or anyone elses work as long as it's ok to you and you are proud of it.

i was stating an opinion the way i was taught to do it by this forum.

usually if a theme is not to my taste i will keep my trap shut but in this case it was like some invisible entity took over my soul and before i knew it the dirty deed was done.

ah hell i don't even care anymore what anyone says.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 12:04 AM

hehe...now i'm not allowed to have a free will. as long as you agree it's ok...if not please don't post my opinion. should i pm you first and ask your permission. i take it your feelings were hurt. sorry for that...i didn't realize you were a pablum eater.

<edit><added> you are right in a way about the bluntness of the people about their opinions on their distaste on a theme...i was like you once and it didn't work.

gawd it is a butt ugly theme...you made me realize it even more. keep on derailing the thread bucko.
No, you're allowed to feel however you want about anything. You're allowed to express your feelings as well. But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

You're a tactless ingrate, and while my feelings were not hurt, I was irritated. Mission accomplished troll, you got your rise.

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Same question...Do your ever release your themes quandarry?
never...

i never use anyones else's themes either other than to test drive.

i do it for my own entertainment...people are just too unappreciative.
So you won't release your themes because nobody liked your first, yet you feel it's okay to turn around and say whatever nasty thing pops into your head regarding someone else's. Everyone has feelings, you obviously know what it's like to have yours hurt when you put your own theme out into public; so why are you trying to do to someone else what you didn't like having done to you?

I let you goad me into responding to you twice in this thread, it won't happen again. But please, by all means, post some more childish remarks and let me know how much you enjoy a good fight, and how I'm derailing this thread.

Don't forget the smiley when you do.

mac15
Senior User
Mar 21, 2004, 12:15 AM

looks nothing like digital device.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 12:17 AM

quandarry. you are just an idiot... with an obvious chip on your shoulder. just because something is not to your liking does not mean it is 'homely'.

you of course can keep on expressing your opinions but you still should try and keep your subjective opinions within some sort of intellectual range, therefore allowing others to speak clearly about the debate.... but honestly, I think you are just here to take stabs and with that in mind I say to each his own....

peace to those who are looking at these posts in a positive manner to better the path of apple gui...

bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

brn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 01:41 AM

I say do the orbital theme it's own theme, I never really liked Digital Device because it was too colorish, it don't go well with my desktops, but this orbital theme (which absolutely NOT look like Digital Device, except for color going in the same direction) looks like something I can use, and I really like the look of it and the mix with that biege and light redish is just right. This one will ROCK.

Butterfly Reality Network� loves SIRO.

fivminwalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
So I got about fifteen minutes into the Orbital Cappuccino variant and realized a few things.

1.It looks VERY similar to Digital Device
2.Is there really a need for the Orbital variant when Digital Device is already available?

So let me know your thoughts by the Poll above.
I think you are being too critical concerning your work. Both are two completely different schemes. I am very interested as to what will come out of Orbital variant.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 03:45 AM

yeah, go ahead and make the theme. I'm with the others on this, the only real similarity is color, and if having more than one theme of a color was a problem we'd all be using Milk and Shinobi.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
looks nothing like digital device.
Agreed. Go for it swiz
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2004, 07:16 AM

Yeah go with Cappuccino that's looks better with the icons
Screen

Dave-o�
Senior User
Mar 21, 2004, 10:23 AM

Swiz i will have to raise my hand for a "yes" vote... Though, i thought you were going to give Orbital a shot of Swiz 'Mother 'O Funk' Style to boost it up..??? Maybe my mind is failing in my old age... Wish you smooth design and construction this time around..

Dave-o�
Senior User
Mar 21, 2004, 10:24 AM

Swiz i will have to raise my hand for a "yes" vote... Though, i thought you were going to give Orbital a shot of Swiz 'Mother 'O Funk' Style to boost it up..??? Give the widget elements a 3rd dimension like in the mature 'Cappo'?? Maybe my mind is failing in my old age... Wish you smooth design and construction this time around..

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 10:35 AM

Dave, I think you'll be VERY pleased with the look of Orbital.
As I said screenies are hard to come by of it now but what I have done thus far is looking very smooth. Its gonna be hard for me to switch from this one when Im done.
SMoooooth it is

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 10:56 AM

Lemmee know if you need additional screens....I run Windows at work...

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 12:52 PM

tons of orbital stuff on windows customization pages. like deviantart and such.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 01:27 PM

As always I cant wait to use this theme! Please dont abandon it. I really dont see much similarity between DD and this. Keep it up.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 02:24 PM

Ok here is sample of what its aesthetic is following:

Click the little guy.

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 02:34 PM

looks nothing like Digital Device. can't wait for it.

benign
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 02:39 PM

Whatever you do, I'm sure we'll all love it.

Cappuccino was a hell of an original theme.
Doing an 'Orbital' is just a windoze homage
and maybe does look aesthetically flat like 'Digital Device'
- something a fat bloke once sat on.

But if you really want to make a name for yourself
making unoriginal themes...

Simple Empire...

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 02:42 PM

swiz, can i make a request that you customize the menu extras a bit more? specifically, coloring the inside of the ichat bubble the same color as the rest of the menu bar? I know its a little thing but it makes the menu bar look much nicer IMO...

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 02:51 PM

this looks pretty awesome...i love all the work you do

the only thing i can suggest is instead of making a true to original port, take some artistic leeway with it...the grey is cool but its a bit too light, it looks like someone spread a fine layer of icing over it - make it a bit harsher so the contrast works on a day to day basis

the biggest thing most themers fail to realize is that creating a theme is not just about having it look good - its having it look good day after day, under all situations - a theme needs to be useable for it to be used for more than 5 minutes on a whim...

keep up the work, i love your stuff(currently using garageband latest release)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by benign:
Whatever you do, I'm sure we'll all love it.

Cappuccino was a hell of an original theme.
Doing an 'Orbital' is just a windoze homage
and maybe does look aesthetically flat like 'Digital Device'
- something a fat bloke once sat on.

Ive made my name, and plenty of original themes already. Im still making originals and this Orbital is just a look I like and many have been asking for, so Im ablidging them, and myself.

Just so you dont worry about me becoming a port-whore, I have another new original in progress but not close to release.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 02:57 PM

Click the little guy.
Already looking cool.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 03:10 PM

i have one suggestion: for the titlebar widgets, i think it would look better if they didn't have the circle inside of them. maybe have the x-+ inside all the time or nothing would look better. other than that, it looks smooth.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 03:32 PM

Click the little guy.
sweet.

Too bad windowshadeX doesn't take the menubar shadow off... that really bothers me...

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i have one suggestion: for the titlebar widgets, i think it would look better if they didn't have the circle inside of them. maybe have the x-+ inside all the time or nothing would look better. other than that, it looks smooth.
Nah it's better like that like the real orbital

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by cmove:
Nah it's better like that like the real orbital
I agree

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 04:10 PM

What are you smoking? Have you not heard of JetBlack, GUiPod, Studio Pro, and Power Metal???

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
sweet.

Too bad windowshadeX doesn't take the menubar shadow off... that really bothers me...
I agree, usually I run DeskShade to take care of that but didnt want to turn this thread into a "How'd you get rid of the menubar shadow" deal .

For those who want to know:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8950

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2004, 04:23 PM

With which percentage your theme is finished?

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 04:31 PM

beautiful swiz

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by cmove:
With which percentage your theme is finished?
Well, I started on it last night, all of the large(normal) size elements are done.
Its just a matter of doing the small and mini sizes then paying close attention to extras and a QA test. Midweek release for sure.

benign
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
What are you smoking? Have you not heard of JetBlack, GUiPod, Studio Pro, and Power Metal???

Some follow, others lead - I think it's an error
to over-look a 'Swiz original' for doing a 'port-whoring-job'.

To say that swiz is the most original theme'r this
wee-community has is an under statement...

Simple Empire...

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 04:57 PM

I definately think it looks different enough from digital device to require it's own theme.

hey swiz.... a little off topic.

I was looking at your website... what do you use to put your current iTunes track at the bottom of the page?

fivminwalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 05:13 PM

Hey swiz... any chance we could get a hold of that wallpaper used in your latest screen shot? Or is it being released with Orbital variant?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 05:16 PM

Some follow, others lead - I think it's an error
to over-look a 'Swiz original' for doing a 'port-whoring-job'.

I should clarify, I am not replacing Cappuccino, nor am I putting Orbital before it. Cappuccino is recently complete, I just wanted some opinions before I got too far into Orbital.

Originally posted by codywalton:
I definately think it looks different enough from digital device to require it's own theme.

hey swiz.... a little off topic.

I was looking at your website... what do you use to put your current iTunes track at the bottom of the page?
Its a little app called Kung-Tunes.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by fivminwalk:
Hey swiz... any chance we could get a hold of that wallpaper used in your latest screen shot? Or is it being released with Orbital variant?
It will be released with the theme as well as a variation of it.

Im always wondering, what resolutions people run so I know what are the best sizes to make them.

I'll start another poll for this.

benign
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 05:28 PM

I should clarify, I am not replacing Cappuccino, nor am I putting Orbital before it. Cappuccino is recently complete, I just wanted some opinions before I got too far into Orbital...

Whore-away - Wow a tasty Cappuccino is on it's way...

You is just too good for us :)

Simple Empire...

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 05:51 PM

Orbital, exactly like your doing it please

Forum Links
Forum Rules