Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV - HDMI Connection question

Apple TV - HDMI Connection question
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 22, 2008, 11:13 PM

I have a Sony Dream home theater system (its actually quite nightmarish). It has no HDMI hookups but my Pioneer Plasma has 2 HDMI ports so here is my quandary:

Can anyone tell me how to connect my ATV and HD DVR via HDMI to the TV while the audio is sent through the Dream System?

Im hoping this will work but I am not sure:
Can I just run HDMI from the ATV and HD DVR into the TV and use the Digital Optical Audio out to the Dream systems Digital Optical Audio in to cover audio from the ATV and the HD DVR?

Here are my components and their available ports:
Pioneer 42" Plasma (Pioneer PDP-4270HD PureVision)
Composite (1side, 2 rear)
S-Video 2 rear (1 rear with Audio)
Component (1side, 2 rear)
Digital Optical Audio Out
HDMI (2 rear)
RF (2 rear)
PC
USB

Sony DAV-FC7
Audio Out: 1 stereo analog (left/right) RCA
Audio In: 2 stereo analog (left/right) RCA, 1 digital-audio
Composite-Video In: 2
Composite-Video Out: 2
S-Video Out: 1
Component-Video Out: 1

Do I need to sell this Sony DAV-FC7 and get a unit that has HDMI I/O or?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 23, 2008, 04:01 PM

I answered this myself.

The setup:
Apple TV connected to plasma via HDMI
HD DVR connected to plasma via HDMI
PS2 connected to plasma via component
DVD(Dream System) connected to plasma via component

All audio is played through the surround system via the Digital Optical out from the TV into the Dream system.

Mission accomplished
A bonus is that using the digital optical out I no longer need to change the source on the surround system, it is simply either DVD or Input 2. Also nice that there are far less wires now with the HDMI's.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 25, 2008, 11:38 AM

Just an update for search purposes.

The HDMI ports on the TV will not forward the audio signal to the optical out so I am now running HDMI from the DVR and ATV to the TV, and running optical audio from ATV to surround system and plain jane RCA audio from the DVR to surround receiver.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Just an update for search purposes.

The HDMI ports on the TV will not forward the audio signal to the optical out so I am now running HDMI from the DVR and ATV to the TV, and running optical audio from ATV to surround system and plain jane RCA audio from the DVR to surround receiver.
That's odd... your TV's optical out jack should be transmitting the digital audio signal to your sound system. Is their an option to enable digital audio output through this jack on your TV's setup menu?

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 28, 2008, 10:56 AM

I was really hoping so but then I found a forum dedicated to HD A/V and they informed me that Pioneer as well as a few other manufacturers do not pass audio from the HDMI inputs to the optical audio out. Im ok with my setup now as I just run HDMI from ATV and DVR to tv and optical audio from ATV to my surround box. The only shortcoming being that my surround box needs to be replaced as it only has 1 optical audio in therefore my DVR audio is connected via RCA right now :/
My father in law just picked up a nice Yamaha system which may speed up my replacement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules