Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat won't open

ichat won't open
KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2010, 08:35 PM

When I purchased my Macbook Pro about a year and half ago I clicked open the ichat icon from the dock to check it out. From what I remember an account setup window appeared. I wasn't going to use ichat at the time so I closed the window without doing the setup. Now I want to use the ichat feature so when I went to click on the ichat icon from the dock nothing happened no account setup window appears. I tried opening the ichat feature from my applications folder and again it won't open. My question is what do I do to get the ichat account window to open so I can start using ichat?

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2010, 10:17 PM

I think I figured it out. I went over to Youtube and clicked on an ichat setup instructional. Apparently if you've clicked on the ichat icon once before and the account setup window appears it won't reappear the second time you click on the ichat icon at least it didn't for me. What I wasn't aware of was when you click on the ichat icon from the dock you can see the word "ichat' in the upper left hand corner of the screen where the word "safari" normally appears. Strange I never noticed that in the beginning but live and learn. I then realized you can access the ichat setup and preferences from that spot...doh! LOL I set everything up and added an aim ID so it appears I'm on my way.

ibook_steve
Feb 25, 2010, 06:05 PM

You've had an MBP for a year and a half and you've never set the preferences for any app? Or quit an app? The Quit command is in the application menu for every app as well. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You've had an MBP for a year and a half and you've never set the preferences for any app? Or quit an app? The Quit command is in the application menu for every app as well. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Steve
I've had the computer a year and half but just started using it regularly. I have a PC at work and use that most of the time. I'm still not very familiar with the MBP and never set up any apps until now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules