Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > warning: keep bug spray away from your iPod

warning: keep bug spray away from your iPod
paingold
Jun 18, 2005, 11:22 PM

I accidently got some bug spray on my buddies 4G iPod. The spray pretty much melted the touch wheel. It still works but the wheel feels like sandpaper now.
Can the touch wheel material be replaced?

By the way this bug spray was 100% DEET. I don't know if the average backyard bug spray will harm your iPod. Just thought I'd warn you all.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 12:53 AM

Wowzers. From what it made the click wheel do, I can image what is in DEET. I dont' think you can have the touch wheel replaced? (Not sure though) Does your buddy still have the on year warranty on the iPod? Not sure if getting DEET on it voids it, but have him (or you) call Apple and ask what to do and if it voids the waranty or not. If that fails... get your car revved up and go to your applle store with 300 dollars on you...
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 03:25 AM

Bugsprays containing DEET will tell you (if you read the fine print) to keep the product away from plastics. That stuff is pretty nasty. The iPod's will not be the only thing that is affected. DEET can mark or fog up many plastics, such as the plastic face of watches and even the screen of a digital camera.

So watch where you aim that bugspray as you head outdoors with all your fancy electronic toys this summer.
mavafyipdq

Forum Links
Forum Rules