Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do you get two versions of iTunes on different computers to work with one iPod?

How do you get two versions of iTunes on different computers to work with one iPod?
Source
May 16, 2005, 04:10 AM

Hi all,

I recently got an iPod shuffle and have been using it with my powerbook. I've got a PC at work and I wanted to use my shuffle with it, but when I plug it in, I get a prompt saying that this iTunes is not configured for this iPod and asks me if I'd like to clear my iPod and configure it for this iTunes.

So can anybody tell me how I can have this PC work with my shuffle?

Cheers.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 04:47 AM

You can transfer files over between the two using the flash drive but you can't have the iPod part work with two sets of iTunes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Source  (op)
May 16, 2005, 05:05 AM

That's a bit crap isn't it? Surely there are loads of people who want to use their iPods on their work and home computers?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 05:13 AM

You can play music off the iPod on another computer, you just can't copy music back and forth. Silly to have some music on one computer and other music on another computer. Just keep everything on one computer and use the iPod to transfer some music over, via manual transfer. If bought from the iTMS, authorize the new computer to play the purchased music and you're good to go.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
You can play music off the iPod on another computer, you just can't copy music back and forth. Silly to have some music on one computer and other music on another computer. Just keep everything on one computer and use the iPod to transfer some music over, via manual transfer. If bought from the iTMS, authorize the new computer to play the purchased music and you're good to go.
How does this work? I have an iPod Shuffle that I want to use between multiples machine as a source of playback. I plug in the iPod, iTunes asks me if I want to sync with the other library (Windows box, blank library), I choose no. At this pont iTunes does not recognize there is an iPod connected. Are you saying that I have to make the whole thing a flashdisc for play on multiple machines or something? That would make the iPod itself kind of useless for playback by itself.

Please clarify. Thanks.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2005, 02:20 AM

I was able to get this to work to a degree. Open "My Computer" (while iPod is connected of course), go to the following path (example): E:\iPod_Control\Music where there will be several folders. As you maneuver through each folder you will see the actual .m4p files. Select all .m4p files, right-click and choose play.

The selected files (arbitrarily named on the iPod, but ID3 tags survive while imported) will be added to your iTunes library, and will be available to be played through iTunes while the iPod is mounted.

This works, but sucks for this reason:

Limited capacity iPods will have to go through several "transfers/imports" in order to get an entire library transfered to another device.

Potential resolution:

Possibly there is a single or few files that can be imported to the other instances of iTunes to allow for playback of iPod stored files on an iTunes equipped PC. I have not tried this yet.

Query:

Why on Earth can I not just plug an iPod into a device with iTunes installed and play music from that device? I have no desire to transfer the files. I just want to play the files.

Also, does this "just work" from Mac to Mac? I only have the one soo I cannot test.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 06:08 AM

The really only reason I hook up my iPod to more than one computer it when I use it as a backup drive.

One of the main reasons I got the thing.

Heck, when I installed Tiger, I had about 8 gigs of stuff to back up PLUS my mp3s.

The iPod took care of it all.

Of course to get my mp3's back on I had to do a bit of hackery...

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Source
That's a bit crap isn't it? Surely there are loads of people who want to use their iPods on their work and home computers?
Apple has intentionally designed the system so that an iPod only syncs with one machine at a time. Why? Because otherwise it would have quickly become seen (and used) as a tool for piracy. Everyone could just take their iPod round to any of their friends and copy all their music.

Having said that, there is a way round this restriction with regular iPods. If you have "manually manage songs and playlists" selected, you can copy playlists onto an iPod from other machines than the "host" machine. I don't know if you can do the same thing with a Shuffle though.

iPods have always been designed to make it difficult for you to copy music back from the iPod to another machine. Again, because this would facilitate piracy. There are utilities out there which allow this, Google is your friend.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, you can use the hard drive functionality to transfer files between different machines, then set up your playlists as normal.

Sofad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 04:12 PM

1. iPod shuffle Database Builder

Database Builder

This program (8kb) enables iPod shuffle users to get rid of all that iTunes or other complicated playlist management stuff.

You simply copy MP3 files onto it.

You only need to run the Database Builder program after you added or removed files from the iPod.
__________________________________________________ ________________

2. SharePod (Windows only)

A program for Windows which allows you to copy music to/from your iPod

SharePod

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by wulf
Apple has intentionally designed the system so that an iPod only syncs with one machine at a time. Why? Because otherwise it would have quickly become seen (and used) as a tool for piracy. Everyone could just take their iPod round to any of their friends and copy all their music.

Having said that, there is a way round this restriction with regular iPods. If you have "manually manage songs and playlists" selected, you can copy playlists onto an iPod from other machines than the "host" machine. I don't know if you can do the same thing with a Shuffle though.

iPods have always been designed to make it difficult for you to copy music back from the iPod to another machine. Again, because this would facilitate piracy. There are utilities out there which allow this, Google is your friend.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, you can use the hard drive functionality to transfer files between different machines, then set up your playlists as normal.
The point is not to transfer the files, but to simply play the files from the iPod through the attached computer. I have no desire what so ever to transfer the music files from one device to another. I simply want the stored files to be playable through the computer attached to the iPod.

iTunes should think: Oh look, an iPod. Play on good little consumer.

At worst, require that the computer be authorized to play the protected files with their current DRM scheme. There should be no need to transfer files just to play m4ps from a mounted disc which it essentially is.

Following me?

Sofad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 05:07 PM

@kampl

no, there is no other way with iTunes. you have to use workarounds (add the hidden files on the shuffle to iTunes/mp3-software) or use the two programs i mentioned.

iTunes will not allow to share a connected iPod shuffle with other mac's/pc's.

it's not a bug, it's a feature

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sofad
iTunes will not allow to share a connected iPod shuffle with other mac's/pc's.

it's not a bug, it's a feature
Its not a bug, but it is hardly a feature

Call it what it is, a restriction that's a small hiccup to pirates, and irritating to honest users
mavafyipdq

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by kampl
The point is not to transfer the files, but to simply play the files from the iPod through the attached computer. I have no desire what so ever to transfer the music files from one device to another. I simply want the stored files to be playable through the computer attached to the iPod.

At worst, require that the computer be authorized to play the protected files with their current DRM scheme. There should be no need to transfer files just to play m4ps from a mounted disc which it essentially is.

Following me?
Sorry dude, I realised I had not read your previous post properly.

Yes that does suck that you can't play you files through your PC, send Apple some feedback on it. Hopefully in the meantime someone will write a third-party PC app that will let you do it.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 11:45 AM

But all a person needs to do to "pirate" music from the iPod is to copy the music as files. Sure they cannot be played, but they can be copied to anything. So what is the point?

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
But all a person needs to do to "pirate" music from the iPod is to copy the music as files. Sure they cannot be played, but they can be copied to anything. So what is the point?
There isn't much point for the kinds of people on these boards.

I think that like with their DRM scheme, Apple have been careful to present their products in such a way that they can't be accused of facilitating piracy. So of course you can copy files - just like you can with any regular hard drive. But it's an extra step one has to go through to do so. They made it so that one can't - easily - copy the same files being used for playback (the synced music), and that discourages the casual pirate and the tech-illiterate. The iPod is a mass-consumer item now, and there are a lot of people out there who love their iPod but have no real idea how the technology works. If it had been made dead simple for them to copy their music, Apple would have come under fire from the RIAA & record labels and would never have got to launch the Music Store.

As it is, it's still easy to do but the majority of people probably either don't know how, or won't bother. And so Apple and the music corps get to make their $$$.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 12:34 AM

There isn't much point for the kinds of people on these boards.

I think that like with their DRM scheme, Apple have been careful to present their products in such a way that they can't be accused of facilitating piracy. So of course you can copy files - just like you can with any regular hard drive. But it's an extra step one has to go through to do so. They made it so that one can't - easily - copy the same files being used for playback (the synced music), and that discourages the casual pirate and the tech-illiterate. The iPod is a mass-consumer item now, and there are a lot of people out there who love their iPod but have no real idea how the technology works. If it had been made dead simple for them to copy their music, Apple would have come under fire from the RIAA & record labels and would never have got to launch the Music Store.

As it is, it's still easy to do but the majority of people probably either don't know how, or won't bother. And so Apple and the music corps get to make their $$$.
An extra step. I really don't see the difficulty in copying files to any hard drive. Also, I really don't think that the folks who use iPods are as technologically handicapped as you think. More importantly, the casual piracy that you mention isn't the problem. Trading a few songs isn't going to hurt anyone, and will most likely expose folks to a wider range of music. I know in my days as a kid, the mix tapes we made exposed me to a much wider range of music than I would have had on my own. Now, 800 CDs later, the music industry can do nothing but smile all the way to the bank. The BIG problem with piracy is the Large Scale trading of files online as well as the heavy piracy in East Asia. I was so suprised to see so much bootleg music, software, etc being sold on the streets in Seoul!!! And this was back in 1997.

As you stated, Apple did this to give the appearance that they are not facilitating the piracy of music. Ok, I am the type of person who likes things upfront with no hidden nonsense. It is very apparent that Apple is playing a game of semantics. This PC (politically correct) nonsense of appearance doesn't hold water. If they truly wanted fight the piracy issue, then they would make the iPod a player with no ability to be used as a storage medium and with the limitation that music can only be placed on the iPod with iTunes. This is obviously not the case. While I really don't care what they do, it would be refreshing for Apple (or anyone, any company, etc) to say things like they are versus playing games...

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 04:55 AM

An extra step. I really don't see the difficulty in copying files to any hard drive.
Sure it isn't difficult to copy files, and I agree that it's not much protection. I think the point is that Apple can claim not to be facilitating piracy, whereas, if they had a button in iTunes to "copy your friend's 50 favourite tunes" (or whatever), they would be.

Also, I really don't think that the folks who use iPods are as technologically handicapped as you think.
Depends on the people.

In my first year of owning an iPod (2002) practically every iPod owner I came across was, like me, a designer or editor or IT person - i.e., they were all tech-savvy. In the last year or two, the majority of new iPod owners I have known or met are not techy people, and are barely interested in bitrates or hard drive sizes. One I know didn't even have a PC and wanted me to help her copy all her CDs onto her iPod. People like this, it's not that they're not capable of using their iPod as a hard drive, finding the files in their Music folder, etc., they're just not interested and don't want to be bothered with it. Ripping a friend's CD, no problem, because it's easy for them to do through an interface, but copying files and stuff, it's not familiar territory to them.

I realise my experience is anecdotal, but I think the success of the iPod range bears me out: Apple are not just selling to geeks and other techies any more

More importantly, the casual piracy that you mention isn't the problem. Trading a few songs isn't going to hurt anyone, and will most likely expose folks to a wider range of music. I know in my days as a kid, the mix tapes we made exposed me to a much wider range of music than I would have had on my own. Now, 800 CDs later, the music industry can do nothing but smile all the way to the bank. The BIG problem with piracy is the Large Scale trading of files online as well as the heavy piracy in East Asia. I was so suprised to see so much bootleg music, software, etc being sold on the streets in Seoul!!! And this was back in 1997.
Sure, I would completely agree with you. When Napster was in it's heyday (the old Napster) I downloaded a lot of music. I also bought a lot more CDs in that period than I was doing previously, because I had an opportunity to seek out and hear obscure things that would never get played on the radio or MTV. This was music I would never have bought otherwise, without being able to hear it first. Like you said, the music industry benefited overall, even though technically I was a "pirate".

Unfortunately, the record companies and the RIAA (and BPI here in UK) don't seem to be distinguishing casual piracy from the industrial pirates. (And yeah, I've seen the movies on sale for a couple of dollars in Cambodia and Thailand, that weren't even out in the UK.) All I was trying to say is that in this climate, Apple has to play ball if they want the big prizes, which for them is the music store, and theoretically, movie store.

As you stated, Apple did this to give the appearance that they are not facilitating the piracy of music. Ok, I am the type of person who likes things upfront with no hidden nonsense. It is very apparent that Apple is playing a game of semantics. This PC (politically correct) nonsense of appearance doesn't hold water. If they truly wanted fight the piracy issue, then they would make the iPod a player with no ability to be used as a storage medium and with the limitation that music can only be placed on the iPod with iTunes. This is obviously not the case. While I really don't care what they do, it would be refreshing for Apple (or anyone, any company, etc) to say things like they are versus playing games...
My most optimistic interpretation is that Apple are trying to find the best balance between what consumers want, and what the industry will bear, in terms of freedoms with digital content. I'm not saying they've always got the balance right. But I agree: it certainly would be refreshing if Apple were upfront with everybody about what they are doing.

What? No RDF?

webraider
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kampl

Following me?
This is VERY easy to do on the macintosh. A friend of mine actually brought his Ipod over to my house and we wanted to listen to the songs. He told me not to plug it in because it would erase the ipod.. I assured him it wouldn't. I plugged it in, opened itunes and it told me a new ipod had been connected and if I wanted to update it. I clicked no... Then the ipod still being visible in itunes and my desktop, allows me to Right Click or Control Click it to bring up the preference pane which could also be brought up by simply using the itunes preference pane. I clicked on the "allow for Manual updates" option and then all of the files on the ipod are now visible. I can't copy them to my hard disk, but I can play them all through itunes and copy songs to the ipod. My understanding is that once this option has been selected... the ipod will tell the next computer it's plugged into that it wants to be updated manually.

I'm not exactly sure how to do this on Windows but I do know it's very possible and done quite often.

Forum Links
Forum Rules