Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Annoying bell sound PLEASE HELP!

Annoying bell sound PLEASE HELP!
Bill Kinkle
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 10:50 AM

Ever since I bought this 12 inch in November In intermittently keep hearing this bell sound. It sounds like a doorbell with 2 quick ding dong ding songs. I can't figure out where it is coming from. The only apps I usually have open are mail, dashboard and safari but I can't find anything about sounds for those programs. I looked in mails pref's but the only sounds for that are the no new mail sound, new mail sound and sent mail sound. Am I missing something here? I also cant figure out where OSX places its sounds, in what folder? There is nothing in the home>library>sounds folder. PLease help me out its driving me nuts.
Quad G5 1.5 gig 12 inch PB Lots of other stuff.

http://www.billkinkle.com

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Kinkle
Ever since I bought this 12 inch in November In intermittently keep hearing this bell sound. It sounds like a doorbell with 2 quick ding dong ding songs. I can't figure out where it is coming from.
Maybe somebody's at the door.

The only apps I usually have open are mail, dashboard and safari but I can't find anything about sounds for those programs. I looked in mails pref's but the only sounds for that are the no new mail sound, new mail sound and sent mail sound. Am I missing something here? I also cant figure out where OSX places its sounds, in what folder? There is nothing in the home>library>sounds folder. PLease help me out its driving me nuts.
Are you sure it's not Finder sounds maybe? System Prefs>sound>sound effects> play user interface sound effects.

System sounds are in /System/Library/sounds.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 06:25 PM

Somebody might recognize the culprit if you listed the processes running on your machine.

Open Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor and change the setting to show 'All processes', then grab a picture of that, or File > Save a 'Process list' and paste here.

Did you install the system yourself, or was the machine perhaps pre-owned?

J

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 10:37 PM

Does the problem go away if you mute the volume?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 04:58 AM

Are you running a widget that makes noise? If it isn't any of the programs themselves, are you running something in classic? You could be hearing system sounds from the classic environment.
mavafyipdq

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 06:08 AM

It's haunted!

Sound like something an IM client would do. skype makes a doorbell sound I think - do you have anything running in the background? is the machine running with fast user switching? Is it accompanied by a voice that tells you go hang out naked at the bus station?

next time it happens open the terminal and enter:
ps ax

that will list everything running - post it here.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 06:38 PM

Toast makes a "dong" sound when it finishes burning a disc, however thing doesn't seem like the culprit. I also though IM software, the official AIM, MSN, and Yahoo! clients all have really annoying sounds, probably a bell in there somewhere.

But I'd like to hear back from the OP because we don't really know much about the situation or what they've tried to find out.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Kinkle
Ever since I bought this 12 inch in November In intermittently keep hearing this bell sound. It sounds like a doorbell with 2 quick ding dong ding songs. I can't figure out where it is coming from. The only apps I usually have open are mail, dashboard and safari but I can't find anything about sounds for those programs. I looked in mails pref's but the only sounds for that are the no new mail sound, new mail sound and sent mail sound. Am I missing something here? I also cant figure out where OSX places its sounds, in what folder? There is nothing in the home>library>sounds folder. PLease help me out its driving me nuts.

Goto preferences in Mail and click general check to see what sound is selected. It maybe the announcement that new mail has arrived. Change to a differnt sount and see if that's it!

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 10:34 PM

Try Detrius' experiment. If the ringing doesn't go away when you mute the sound, you could have a failing hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules