Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP latch = Magnetic?

MBP latch = Magnetic?
jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 6, 2006, 04:18 PM

just a minute ago i was bending a paper clip, in a mad dash to get down stairs, i toeese the paper clip on the desk it landed on the latch of my MBP. when i came back from downstairs i went to remove the paper clip to find that there was a little force holding it there, after wanding it infront of the latch a few times i came the to conclusion that the latch is in fact magnetic....weird.

anyone else have this or is this standard and been on the PB's as well?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2006, 04:24 PM

same for my ti powerbook 1ghz, nifty

JKT
Professional Poster
May 6, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
just a minute ago i was bending a paper clip, in a mad dash to get down stairs, i toeese the paper clip on the desk it landed on the latch of my MBP. when i came back from downstairs i went to remove the paper clip to find that there was a little force holding it there, after wanding it infront of the latch a few times i came the to conclusion that the latch is in fact magnetic....weird.

anyone else have this or is this standard and been on the PB's as well?
The magnet is what draws the latch down when you move the lid close to the base.

Sage
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 04:39 PM

Exactly. Close your MBP’s lid very slowly the last inch or so – you’ll notice that the latch flips out, which is caused by a magnet in the part that catches the latch. Apple’s been doing this for years now – no ugly latches sticking out while the laptop’s open.

KidKit
Forum Regular
May 6, 2006, 04:39 PM

The magnet + hidden latch mechanism is standard on the powerbooks as well. All part of the industrial design so that there isn't some ugly latch that can be caught on something.
mavafyipdq

jhonizzle  (op)
Forum Regular
May 6, 2006, 04:45 PM

my new question is, since the speakers are magnitized as well ( all speakers are) i wonder if the heat from the MBP is going to wear that magnitizim down?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 6, 2006, 05:03 PM

Uh, it doesn't work that way. Permanent magnets stay magnetized. Heat (within the range a computer exists in) is irrelevant.

tooki

P.S. Not all speakers are magnetic. Electrostatic speakers aren't, nor are the piezo transducers used to make small gadgets beep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules